Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 09:45 AM

2 posts, read 8,429 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Des Moines from Chicago and am ready for a nice change! I've read several posts on this site - but would like to get a fresh look at what Des Moines has to offer. Are there opportunities to listen to live music, eat good food, meet new people in social settings, and also stay active during the winter?

Also, is Des Moines pet friendly? Are there great off leash parks and rec areas?
Can you recommend a great downtown doggy daycare? I have two dogs.

Thanks!

Last edited by DogLover_535; 11-18-2008 at 11:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2008, 08:09 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,581,045 times
Des Moines has much to offer.

I know House of Bricks has live music. It's near downtown. I'm sure there are plenty of others, depending on what you are into. Also Blues on Grand downtown.

Downtown is pretty much the go-to place for the social scene. The Ingersoll and Drake areas also have many great bars, restaraunts, etc.

During the winter, it gets a little slower but it is doable. You just kind of have to think of things to do. You could cross country ski, snowshoe, run, hike, etc. Just have to tough out the weather.

Old 11-18-2008, 08:29 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,349,064 times
I think your doggie daycare would depend on where you are going to live, wouldn't it? I know there is a newer daycare near the East Village (east part of downtown) but that doesn't do you a lot of good if you plan to live and work out west.

Old 11-20-2008, 07:40 PM

70 posts, read 273,577 times
there is a dog park in West Des Moines at Raccoon River Park.

Old 12-01-2008, 09:25 PM

49 posts, read 196,185 times
If you move out to West Des Moines I was very happy with The Jordan Creek Animal Hospital. They have an attached kennel(for their patients only). Here's a link to their website MyVetOnline.com

Old 12-12-2008, 04:52 PM

1 posts, read 4,006 times
Des Moines is a great place to live. The people are very friendly and you can find stuff to do. It has also very pet friendly. Raccoon River is a great dog park in West Des Moines. I work downtown so I take my dog to Downtown Doggy Daycare and just love it! He comes home tired and happy and the owners are great!

Old 12-12-2008, 06:15 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,895,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke9686 View Post
Des Moines has much to offer.

I know House of Bricks has live music. It's near downtown. I'm sure there are plenty of others, depending on what you are into. Also Blues on Grand downtown.

Downtown is pretty much the go-to place for the social scene. The Ingersoll and Drake areas also have many great bars, restaraunts, etc.

During the winter, it gets a little slower but it is doable. You just kind of have to think of things to do. You could cross country ski, snowshoe, run, hike, etc. Just have to tough out the weather.

Is it just recently the downtown nightlife has sprung up? I remember being there like 4 years ago and couldn’t find ANYTHING worth a damn. We went to court ave. but it seemed to die down really quick. There was this one bar I thought was pretty neat. It always had some hottie on a swing above the bar.

We were actually told to go west to Drink and...I forgot the other one. Anyway, just curious if there is more to do now. I’m thinking of spending a weekend in DSM sometime soon.

Old 12-12-2008, 08:26 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,349,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerflipper View Post
Is it just recently the downtown nightlife has sprung up? I remember being there like 4 years ago and couldn’t find ANYTHING worth a damn. We went to court ave. but it seemed to die down really quick. There was this one bar I thought was pretty neat. It always had some hottie on a swing above the bar.

We were actually told to go west to Drink and...I forgot the other one. Anyway, just curious if there is more to do now. I’m thinking of spending a weekend in DSM sometime soon.
Yes, a ton of places have sprung up downtown within just he last two years. There are no less than 8 or 9 new establishments that have opened up within the last 24 months on or around Court Ave. 4 years ago, it would have been correct to say that nightlife was better out west. That is no longer true and the transformation in such a short time is amazing.

Old 12-13-2008, 07:51 PM

70 posts, read 273,577 times
There is still a good scene out west, particularly WestGlen in West Des Moines. And yes, Crush, Drink, Mickeys and the other Clive bars are still kickin'. If I were to suggest one spot, it would be downtown, the second would be West Glen, then the Clive Bars.

Old 12-13-2008, 08:26 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,581,045 times
I remember the bar with the swing. Downtown died for a few years but has been revitalized in the past 2-3 years. It's now the "hotspot". West Des Moines is still ok, but cant really compare to downtown. You have to drive to much to get from place to place, and its too suburbia in my opinion.

Crap now I'm going to be trying to remember the name of that place with the swing. They had to shut down because girls were stripping on the bar. That was one of the main "3" that always were hopping downtown. $10 cover, 3 bars, all you can drink. Now you can't buy a beer downtown for less than $3.75. It's good and bad. Good in the aspect that DSM is growing up, but bad because it's now pretty expensive. It's pretty live now though.

Also try East Village. Thats hopping too. Also Ingersol has some nice places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines