Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 10:17 PM

7 posts, read 23,770 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I heard Des Moines schools are open enrollment. Does it mean that we can choose any school we want and don't have to worry about living in the neighborhood? I heard Greenwood is a good school, which neighborhood is it in, and can we live in other neighborhoods or even a Des Moines suburb and still go to that school?

I also heard Johnston has good schools. Can we live in Des Moines and still go to the school in Johnston?

We are moving to the Des Moines area later this year, and trying to find a place to live and good school to go to our daughter who is entering elementary.

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 11:19 PM

337 posts, read 1,528,705 times
There are guidelines - not everyone can.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Traveler View Post
There are guidelines - not everyone can.

Thanks. I'll call the schools then.

Old 01-20-2009, 11:17 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,349,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post

I also heard Johnston has good schools. Can we live in Des Moines and still go to the school in Johnston?

We are moving to the Des Moines area later this year, and trying to find a place to live and good school to go to our daughter who is entering elementary.

Thanks for your help!
Yes, a large part of NW Des Moines proper falls in the Johnston school district. There are some great neighborhoods here (ie..we live in this area) and if you buy new construction, you get a 5 year tax abatement!

Old 01-20-2009, 11:21 AM

Thanks so much. Does Beaverdale neighborhood belong to the Johnson school district? If not, what school can we go to if we live in Beaverdale?

Old 01-25-2009, 11:10 AM

14 posts, read 60,031 times
Beaverdale is not in the Johnston school district. Most of Beaverdale goes to Monroe-Rice. This is a school that is pretty easy to open enroll out of because it is a school in need of assistance (You might want to visit, for all I know it is a good school). You can sometimes open enroll into another district, but many of the suburbs are closed to open enrollment because they are full. This is also true for a few Des Moines schools: Perkins and Hanawalt will probably be closed for the next year. However, if you apply early, you never know. I have had a good experience with Greenwood and Hubbell is an IB school.
There are also schools that are open to the whole district. Jefferson is a traditional school on the south side, Phillips is a traditional school on the east side, Cowles is a Montessori school on the west side, Downtown and Walnut st are schools downtown. These schools do not require open enrollment, but they often have waiting lists. So it is important to contact the schools early.
Des Moines is also planning more IB elementary schools, but they haven't finalized it. I have heard that Park Ave on the south side is likely and well as I think Howe.

Old 01-25-2009, 12:35 PM

134 posts, read 590,477 times
you might want to try the suberbs desmoines school ok but the the suberb schools are better i know this for a fact because the i know alot people who moved to the suberb for better schools. i heard ankeny schools are good and also southeast polk schools a good schools.

Old 01-25-2009, 01:43 PM

586 posts, read 2,185,278 times
Good schools and that post, oh the irony!

Old 01-25-2009, 02:35 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,349,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMRyan View Post
Wow! My thoughts exactly!

Old 01-26-2009, 12:38 AM

134 posts, read 590,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMRyan View Post
My husband was from desmoines and he gradurated and he dosent know how to read and i also know alot who dosent know how to read plus that we lived in desmoines and my daughtler attend a preschool in desmoines and all they had her do was color and play and that was it and by the way the preschool was run by desmoines public schools after we moved to suburb my daughtler went to a perschool that was run by a suburb public school and they her teach alot more then coloring and playing .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines