Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 08:58 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,192,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhonda2k View Post
you are so right about the diversity i didnt look at it that way i just visited west des moines and i kind of felt like this is a place that i could live.i live in arlington heights illinois. i was looking for a cheaper place to live with good schools and low crime.
Arlington Heights is not the mecca for blacks in Chicago, but the North suburbs beats most of Iowa in diversity. I live in the South Suburban region where a very large amount of blacks live in suburbia Chicago. I know the North/NW suburbs are home to a significant Asian population though.

I see your what you are saying, the North suburbs are expensive. I don't think Iowa is that bad, its just not really diverse. If you don't think Iowa is your place, you can always move to a different part of Chicago metro. Remember Cook County is huge with a higher population than Iowa and then you have other counties around the metro for more options.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:50 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,894,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
There is a different between prejudice, bias, stereotypes and discrimination and even racism and supremacy. Everyone is prejudice and anyone can be racist. It's more of a build up or even hierarchy, in a sense.

With that said, we have to be honest about who is affected more by it and institutional forms of it.

Again, back to the topic, West Des Moines has Blacks, Asians, and Hispanics in the community in noticable levels.
I couldn't agree more. Affirmative action is the most blatant form of racism in todays society.

Old 07-25-2009, 08:30 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,753,101 times
this is the kind of mentality you'll encounter in iowa...racism doesn't exist, affirmative action is racist, revere racism is the real problem, the blacks finally got their president, they need to shut up now, etc.

that-guy, personally I think it's unfortunate society needs affirmative action to even out the playing field.

Old 07-25-2009, 08:35 PM

415 posts, read 1,738,861 times
Ronnie, how you haven't been banned, I will never know.

All you do is make sweeping, always negative, generalizations about Iowa that clearly reflect your desire to keep people from moving here. What positive do you bring to the City-Data table?

Old 07-25-2009, 08:44 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,753,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadCityImages View Post
Ronnie, how you haven't been banned, I will never know.

All you do is make sweeping, always negative, generalizations about Iowa that clearly reflect your desire to keep people from moving here. What positive do you bring to the City-Data table?
All viewpoints should be welcome, and some of the ridiculous notions that are pushed here daily will not go unchallenged. Did you know Iowa is more racist than other states? Could lack of exposure to other races be the reason for this? that's all I am saying. That really shouldn't be controversial, yet it is, because people don't like to read that.

I think the original poster should move here, in fact, it's warmer here than Chicago by about 10-12 degrees most of the time. I've lived in both areas. Expect an honest assessment from me. Iowa is bordering on cult-like in some aspects when it comes to "groupthink". I think she should know that.

If I read something I consider ignorant I will stand up against it. If I'm the only person doing it that is ok with me.

Old 07-26-2009, 06:51 AM

1,744 posts, read 7,259,014 times
Ok, so we established that there aren't many blacks in West Des Moines.

Please do not feed the trolls.

Thread closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines