Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 12:38 PM

4 posts, read 8,852 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering moving to Des Moines for various reasons. We currently live about an hour and a half north of New York City. I am a teacher with two certifications (endorsements) 2 years teaching experience, and a master's degree. My husband works in sales. What kind of salary ranges could we expect for our professions? Also I would be interested in finding our which Des Moines suburbs would be the best to live in for a younger couple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 07:50 PM

70 posts, read 273,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoeNY View Post
My husband and I are considering moving to Des Moines for various reasons. We currently live about an hour and a half north of New York City. I am a teacher with two certifications (endorsements) 2 years teaching experience, and a master's degree. My husband works in sales. What kind of salary ranges could we expect for our professions? Also I would be interested in finding our which Des Moines suburbs would be the best to live in for a younger couple.
Can't help you with the salary question, but as far as suburbs go, I would first look in West Des Moines. Go to IowaRealty.com to search for houses. Check out WestGlen/Village of Ponderosa Village of Ponderosa: West Des Moines Real Estate, Homes Condos Lofts & Retail

All western/northern suburbs all have something to offer. WDM, Clive, Urbandale, Johnston & Ankeny.

If you are not set on the suburbs, check out the west side of Des Moines around Grand or Ingersoll. Or even look downtown.

Give us some more specifics and we can probably narrow some areas down. I am guessing your household income would be around
$100-125k in Des Moines or more. That could vary but based on the information you provided I cant see it lower than 100k.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:43 AM

267 posts, read 1,231,733 times
Have you checked salary.com for general salary information? It is probably not the most accurate way to find out, but it would give you at least a vague idea of the median salary for your profession. I looked up public school teacher and found that the median was $48,800.

Old 07-21-2009, 03:08 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,754,759 times
Prepare for boredom.

Old 07-21-2009, 05:41 PM

70 posts, read 273,616 times
Don't mind Ronnie, all you have to do is read the other posts and you get a sense of what this person is all about.

Old 07-21-2009, 05:48 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,609,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MastermindDSM View Post
Don't mind Ronnie, all you have to do is read the other posts and you get a sense of what this person is all about.
word.

Old 07-21-2009, 11:20 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,754,759 times
Yes, it's just so out of this world to even think Des Moines is as fun as NYC.

lol, you guys are proving my own points for me, as usual.

I mean some ppl in DSM really do believe it's basically no different than New York.

Old 07-21-2009, 11:39 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,349,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
I mean some ppl in DSM really do believe it's basically no different than New York.
Heard this before, yet strangely Ronnie never seems to be able to provide a quote from anyone who says anything even close to this.

Old 07-21-2009, 11:44 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,349,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoeNY View Post
Depends a lot on what type of sales job he intends to land. If he's good and lands in a lucrative industry, he should be able to make 6 figures (or close) on his own.

My preference is the western suburbs (e.g...West Des Moines) based on living in both western and northern suburbs of DSM in the past. That said, as a young couple , I'd strongly consider living in Des Moines too (west side or northwest side).

Old 07-22-2009, 08:07 AM

4,857 posts, read 7,609,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
Yes, it's just so out of this world to even think Des Moines is as fun as NYC.

lol, you guys are proving my own points for me, as usual.

An hour and a half north of NYC is the same as living in NYC? That's about how far Chicago is from the Quad Cities. So you think the Quad Cities is the same as Chicago?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines