Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2007, 03:25 PM

1 posts, read 4,059 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I will be relocating to west desmoines in the first week on may.
if anyone out there has been in this area for sometime...please give me some info and pointers.

I will be working for wells fargo and wiil be around the area 1452 29th St
West Des Moines, IA 50266
so please let me know the schooling and the apartments around these area.
'm totally new and clueless so any help will be highly appreciated..

Many Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2007, 08:15 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,582,247 times
Use www.craigslist.com and www.desmoinesregister.com to find apartments.

West Des Moines is a desireable area of the Des Moines metro. Very family oriented area. Schools in the area are good. Anywhere you live in the western suburbs you will be no more than 20-25 minutes from that location.

Depending on where you are coming from, you will find that the cost of living in that area is very affordable. Traffic is good, and the area is very down to earth.

If you could provide more info such as budget for rent, etc. I'm sure more people could help.

Old 04-06-2007, 11:37 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
I'm not an apartment dweller so I'm not an expert on the subject. I would, however recommend you not look at the apartments at 31st and University WDM. Knew someone that lived there. Got out quick...

Your office is just off Westown Pkwy. If you go west on Westown Pkwy (you have to jog left at Valley West mall) until you reach 60th, then turn left and go over the Interstate you will see apartments stretching off to the left and right on Vista. A lot of apartments. I've been in a couple fixing PC's and they seem nice.

You will also find plenty of other places in WDM.

Old 04-11-2007, 08:18 PM

603 posts, read 573,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrashmii View Post
Hi,
I will be relocating to west desmoines in the first week on may.
if anyone out there has been in this area for sometime...please give me some info and pointers.

I will be working for wells fargo and wiil be around the area 1452 29th St
West Des Moines, IA 50266
so please let me know the schooling and the apartments around these area.
'm totally new and clueless so any help will be highly appreciated..

Many Thanks!!!
There are some relatively new apartments at the corner of 50th (I think) Street and EP True Parkway that would make for a very short commute to work for you. As far as schools: DMACC (Des Moines Area Community College) is our junior college, Drake is our undergraduate college, Iowa State is about a half an hour up the road in Ames, and Des Moines University is our Medical School. If you're going to be at Wells Fargo, I'm guessing that you'll be interested in some sort of an advanced management degree; Iowa State has an extension MBA program for working people that can be completed in Des Moines.

Good luck!

Old 05-05-2007, 07:03 PM

18 posts, read 86,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Your office is just off Westown Pkwy. If you go west on Westown Pkwy (you have to jog left at Valley West mall) until you reach 60th, then turn left and go over the Interstate you will see apartments stretching off to the left and right on Vista. A lot of apartments. I've been in a couple fixing PC's and they seem nice.

You will also find plenty of other places in WDM.

Sun Prairie and Vista Court? Yeah, personally I would avoid those at all costs! From what I've heard from friends who (briefly) lived there, they are noisy, maintenance is horrible, and the management sucks. But the following are just the opinions of a 25 year old single woman working in the insurance industry making mid-thirties for salary A better bet might be some of the apartment complexes off of 73rd/8th St in WDM. Yes, so that whole area on the other side of the interstate by Walmart can be a bit dodgy, but if you head over towards Ashworth and Grand, there are some nicer complexes with reasonable price ranges. I used to live in Regency Woods and, at the time, they were one of the best bargains in town... lots of s.f., pets allowed, nice park-like setting, and most importantly, cheap!

Old 05-07-2007, 12:07 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Yes SP And VC. I'll avoid mentioning them in the future. Thanks for the heads up.

There are also some apartments west of Interstate 35 between EP True and Target to the south. A friend lives there and likes it. Across the Interstate east to the north of HY-Vee there are some, but I don't know anything about them.

Old 01-13-2010, 02:50 PM

1 posts, read 2,909 times
Apartment rental is usually not fun for most people. Polo Club is fairly nice, clean and has good maintence.

I have owned a home here for 10 years. If you live in a home area where the homes are around $150-$170,000 people seem to come and go frequently. The house next to us has been up for sale 5 times since we have lived here, people wanting to move to bigger homes or being transferred.

Homes about $250,000 are really nice in West Des Moines. You won't find much under $160,000 that isn't outdated or needs some TLC most of the time.

There are a lot of townhomes in the area.

Taxes in the Dallas county portion are really reasonable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines