Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 09:58 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,309,332 times

Advertisements

I had a job interview in Des Moines today and I really like this city a LOT, it is very easy to get around, did not see much traffic(at least when compared to Minneapolis), very low crime and the people I met were unbelievably friendly and helpful! I think a lot of people don't know much about Des Moines because it is Iowa(maybe not the most exciting place on Earth) but I really like the quality of life this city can offer. If I am offered a job in Des Moines, I am moving there with no hesitation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 08:26 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,309,332 times
70-something views and no replies. I was hoping someone was going to challenge my positive remarks about Des Moines but maybe they are accurate?

Old 12-07-2009, 09:37 PM

113 posts, read 438,231 times
We thought the exact same thing when we visited DSM for the first time before moving here. Nine months after our move, I am happy to say we still feel the same way!

Old 12-08-2009, 03:37 AM

196 posts, read 776,665 times
No challenges here. A lot to do for its size. It is always on the list of top cities to relocate. Several articles were written about the city during the Iowa Caucuses, the NY Times, Chicago Trib, others had a lot of good things to say.

Now the downtown sculpture park is getting a lot of good press nationwide.

The only drawback would be the weather, but you're coming from Mpls, so winters would seem mild in comparison.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:04 AM

459 posts, read 2,228,301 times
I'm a former Twin Citian who moved to Des Moines, too (about 10 years ago). No regrets about the move. We miss some of our friends up in the Twin Cities, but that is really it.

Old 12-08-2009, 01:10 PM

1,744 posts, read 7,260,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMGuy View Post
Now the downtown sculpture park is getting a lot of good press nationwide.

Really? The park itself looks good from the street but close up virtually all of those sculptures are completely hideous. I think it was a good idea, I just wish the powers that be had better taste in art.

Old 12-12-2009, 06:24 AM

1,999 posts, read 10,567,566 times
I've taken a test about where the best place to live is, and I had very stringent requirements on this test (great medical care, lots of educated people, lots of cultural activities, etc.) and Des Moines came out #1 each and every time.
If DSM wasn't in high tax Iowa, I'd consider it. Plus, the cold is another negative for me. But my biggest negative is that it lacks opportunities for my job, so guess I'll never get to find out.
But, yes, it is a dynamite place to live for all age groups.

Old 12-12-2009, 10:20 AM

681 posts, read 3,036,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Rhino View Post
Really? The park itself looks good from the street but close up virtually all of those sculptures are completely hideous. I think it was a good idea, I just wish the powers that be had better taste in art.
Some of the pieces are really cool, you have to admit.

:::mod cut, copyrights:::

But, I agree. Personally, I find a lot of the sculptures to be pretty morbid.

:::mod cut, copyrights::::

Still, all the art was completely free--donated to the city by the Pappajohns--so I guess we can't complain too much.

Last edited by El Rhino; 12-12-2009 at 02:47 PM..

Old 12-12-2009, 02:48 PM

1,744 posts, read 7,260,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpHawkeye View Post
Some of the pieces are really cool, you have to admit.

:::mod cut, copyrights:::

But, I agree. Personally, I find a lot of the sculptures to be pretty morbid.

:::mod cut, copyrights::::

Still, all the art was completely free--donated to the city by the Pappajohns--so I guess we can't complain too much.

Yeah, actually I do like the letters statue, that one is pretty cool. As for most of the other sculptures since they were free the price was right, I guess.

Old 12-17-2009, 07:47 PM

196 posts, read 776,665 times
Here's good stuff about DSM:

Tortoise wins race for best U.S. city for business - MarketWatch

They forgot to mention corporate taxes, tho. The legislature needs to do something about that.... soon. They're about as tax & spend crazy as the feds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines