Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2010, 01:18 PM

5 posts, read 10,116 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm originally from Cedar Rapids and went to college in Ames. I moved to the Raleigh, NC area last March. I may be moving back in the next few months for a job and would immediately be looking to purchase a house. About a year and a half ago, before I knew I would be moving post-graduation, I was also looking at purchasing a house. After walking through house after house, I decided to look into building. I found some great lots that still happen to be available now, over a year and a half later.

What I need now is a great custom builder. Being just over a year out of school, I'll be looking to spend around 180-200k. The lots are going to run about 25-30k. So I'm looking for a quality custom home builder that can build a house for around 150-175k.

From my experience a couple of years ago, I'm looking for a ranch house from 1200-1500 sq ft. The lots were found specifically for a walk-out basement, so that's a must. If the basement can't be finished straight away that's fine, but I at least need it plumbed for a bathroom for when I ultimately finish it, if we can't finish it when it's built. Everything else (fixtures, counters, flooring, etc. etc.) can be negotiated, I don't currently have any wants in those areas that are deal breakers.

I've looked a little on my own for custom home builders, but typically find companies/people that deal with 400-500k homes and up. I understand 200k is on the (very?) low side for most custom builders, but that's what I can afford. If anyone knows any builders personally, through working with them or through reputation, that will fit my price range, please let me know. I trust personal references much more than a company's website. Thanks so much for your help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 08:45 PM

54 posts, read 141,939 times
Where are you looking to build at? My uncle does incredible work on customs in Indianola. It is 10 or so miles South of Des Moines. He builds on the "upper side" if you will, but he might be interested if he doesn't have anything going right now. Send me a personal message if I don't respond within a day.

-Tyler

Old 02-02-2010, 09:31 PM

459 posts, read 2,228,301 times
Are you looking to do a true custom home or are you satisfied just tweaking an existing home plan? What part of the Des Moines area do you have in mind?

Old 02-03-2010, 01:15 PM

5 posts, read 10,116 times
The area is up near Granger. If you take 141 north past Grimes and exit onto 17, it's the first (I think) right after you get on 17. I believe the development's called Twin Eagles.

As far as a "true" custom or not, I can kind of swing either way, depending on the options. I don't want to work with someone who only builds two or three designs. I don't know that I want to draw plans from scratch myself, but I'd like to be able to take any sort of plan I find in a book or online, change things as I please, and have the builder/contractor draw it up wit the changes. I don't want to be stuck with only one or two plans to choose from and only be able to change countertops, flooring, cabinets, etc.

That may be asking too much in my price range, but that's why I'm on this forum, to find out what's possible in my price range. Hopefully that helps you guys a little.

Campbells, I'd love to look into what your uncle could do (provided I can afford it, of course). I, more than likely, won't be back until March at the earliest, so I don't want to get his hopes up too much until I know for sure what's going to happen. Does he have a website so I could see some of what he's done?

Thanks again guys.

Old 06-19-2012, 06:29 PM

1 posts, read 1,663 times
Did you build your home yet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines