Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2010, 01:38 PM

13 posts, read 40,734 times

Advertisements

Woodside Park Apts located at 3301 SE 22nd St. Feedback from my previous post tells me that we should probably look in areas other than S or E Des Moines, but wanted to check in to see if anyone knows anything specific about this area or these apartments. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2010, 09:39 AM

2,652 posts, read 8,569,111 times
Don't live there. In that area, there are decent areas, and really bad areas, especially apartment complexes. You can find two bedroom apartments in Altoona and Pleasant Hill for around $500 a month.

Old 02-14-2010, 11:43 AM

1,744 posts, read 7,248,937 times
That's a couple of blocks away from where I live.

My advice: Run like hell.

Old 02-14-2010, 04:20 PM

3,318 posts, read 4,113,966 times
It's a shame the way things worked out for that area. A very high percentage of the housing in that area was built after 1980, and Hoodside, oops......I mean Woodside was one of the very first appartment complexes built in that neighborhood. Then they had to ruin it and build 20 more appartment buildings within a few blocks of each other, and a few hundred duplexes and townhouses to boot. What I like about this neighborhood is the close proximity to Easter Lake for recreation and shopping on SE14th. It has a Fairway store on 22nd, kinda jealous because we don't have one over here by the airport, or a Burger King either.

I hope WDM is getting ready for their section 8 invasion as well, because it did the exact same thing with the density of appartments in the neighborhoods that hug the freeway. Woodland, Prairie, Vista, Office Park, your appartments are O'plenty. Some of them are getting older and sooner or later, guess who's moving in? You guys better bulldoze before it's too late. Merle Hay is rotting away from the same problem too (Aurora).

Old 02-16-2010, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
It's a shame the way things worked out for that area. A very high percentage of the housing in that area was built after 1980, and Hoodside, oops......I mean Woodside was one of the very first appartment complexes built in that neighborhood. Then they had to ruin it and build 20 more appartment buildings within a few blocks of each other, and a few hundred duplexes and townhouses to boot. What I like about this neighborhood is the close proximity to Easter Lake for recreation and shopping on SE14th. It has a Fairway store on 22nd, kinda jealous because we don't have one over here by the airport, or a Burger King either.

I hope WDM is getting ready for their section 8 invasion as well, because it did the exact same thing with the density of appartments in the neighborhoods that hug the freeway. Woodland, Prairie, Vista, Office Park, your appartments are O'plenty. Some of them are getting older and sooner or later, guess who's moving in? You guys better bulldoze before it's too late. Merle Hay is rotting away from the same problem too (Aurora).
It is a shame. Could still be a very nice area. It sucks to say it, but putting apartment complexes in residential neighborhoods is not a good idea. They are doing the same thing in Pleasant Hill. 15 years from now things could be either bad or good. If they have to lower rents to attract tenants, things could turn out ugly. If they are able to keep the complexes occupied, and keep rents relatively high (compared to other complexes), it might not be too bad.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:28 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,337,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke9686 View Post
Don't live there. In that area, there are decent areas, and really bad areas, especially apartment complexes. You can find two bedroom apartments in Altoona and Pleasant Hill for around $500 a month.
The downside, you'd have to live in Altoona or Pleasant Hill.

Nothing wrong with either, but there are reasons people don't want to live on the outskits of the metro.

Old 02-17-2010, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
The downside, you'd have to live in Altoona or Pleasant Hill.

Nothing wrong with either, but there are reasons people don't want to live on the outskits of the metro.
As opposed to the complex the OP was initially inquiring about? I'll take Altoona or P. Hill any day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines