Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best Suburb of Des Moines
Altoona 2 8.33%
Ankeny 1 4.17%
Bondurant 0 0%
Carlisle 0 0%
Clive 3 12.50%
Grimes 0 0%
Johnston 1 4.17%
Norwalk 1 4.17%
Pleasant Hill 0 0%
Urbandale 2 8.33%
Waukee 0 0%
West Des Moines 13 54.17%
Windsor Heights 1 4.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 12:04 PM

1,744 posts, read 7,261,685 times

Advertisements

Pick your favorite and most importantly, why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 03:03 PM

26,428 posts, read 46,599,435 times
From an outsiders perspective it seems like Clive is pretty upscale and a little exclusive.

Old 02-12-2010, 06:12 PM

1,744 posts, read 7,261,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
From an outsiders perspective it seems like Clive is pretty upscale and a little exclusive.

I believe Clive has the highest average home price in the area or at least it did a few years ago. It's geographically small and there's not a bad piece of real estate in the whole city but it doesn't have the same kind of seclusion as some of the other suburbs - you're sandwiched between a couple busy areas and the lots aren't that big. I suppose the upside to that is that you're a lot closer to amenities compared to someone who lives on the outskirts of say, Johnston or Ankeny. While it does cost a lot to live there, it doesn't seem as exclusive as some of the developments in West Des Moines or other suburbs.

Old 02-13-2010, 03:16 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,711,118 times
Clive? If I remember correctly it's the home of stop light cameras. I don't go to Clive for that reason. If they feel the need to trap me with a camera I feel the need to take my business elsewhere - and I do.

I picked West Des Moines. Why? We like it. It's that simple.

Old 02-18-2010, 02:26 AM

9 posts, read 16,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
The western side of Clive, Wdm and Urbandale all seem like that to me.

As for Clive, I think it entirely depends upon the neighborhood you're talking about. I've lived there all my life and it doesn't seem like that at all to me. But then again I don't live in country club, and I can see how that area would come off that way. I'm from the east of 100th st neighborhood, just north of valley west.

Old 02-18-2010, 06:38 AM

459 posts, read 2,228,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Clive? If I remember correctly it's the home of stop light cameras. I don't go to Clive for that reason. If they feel the need to trap me with a camera I feel the need to take my business elsewhere - and I do.

I picked West Des Moines. Why? We like it. It's that simple.
Every intersection in Clive that has red light cameras is clearly marked with signs telling you the intersection is fitted with cameras. I personally do not see that as 'trapping' anyone - If you can read, you know which intersections have them.

Old 02-18-2010, 04:33 PM

3,320 posts, read 4,132,178 times
I just voted for WDM because it seems to have just about everything most people would want. Two malls, two Wall Marts (if you count the one in WH). Traffic in WDM is not quite so bad in comparison to Clive or Urbandale. The suburb also has plenty of anexed land to the south and west to expand ever more. Valley High is the largest and best school in the metro and in the state of Iowa. Would have to say WDM is tied with Ankeny for being the most self contained of all the suburbs. However, Ankeny does not have a nice mall like Jordon Creek but has Saylorville Lake to make up for it, IMO.

Clive has the best bike trail in the metro, but getting around by car is a nightmare, what a headache out there at rush hour, same thing with Urbandale, and you are more dependent on WDM and other suburbs for your shopping needs, the traffic really really sucks. Waukee and parts of Urbandale and Clive have to deal with the flaked out Zenia water district. Waukee and Johnston need to plant some trees and use lots of miracle grow.

Pleasant Hill, like much of the east side of DM relies on Altoona for many things, and housing is somewhat more affordable there. The lower east side, Southwest DM and Carlisle depend heavily on SE 14th for many things, but Carlisle is far enough out of orbit to be a very quiet and safe place to raise a family. They escape the urban problems but enjoy the urban conveniences, and have their own schools. Same thing with Norwalk only they have easy access to WDM, SE DM or Indianola, so that makes them a tad better off than Carlisle.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:09 PM

84 posts, read 295,650 times
Chose Ankeny ... only 10 min from downtown ... 25 min from Jordan Creek ... 20 ish min from Ames ... has Saylorville Lake ... trails ... Clean ... Nice neighborhoods ... plenty of retail. Part of Des Moines metro however has it's own identity in a sense. Growing growing growing. I love it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines