Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Des Moines vs. Omaha
Des Moines 61 48.80%
Omaha 64 51.20%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 08:16 PM

204 posts, read 1,012,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nephthys View Post
But honestly, after living on the westcoast for two years, no one thinks anything about either Omaha or Des Moines (especially). Which is sad we will always have to prove ourselves coming from the midwest. So why be bitter at eachother?
You would think with all those entertainment options the proponents of each city claim to have, representatives from either camp would have no spare time available for engaging in such trivial comparisons.

Old 08-03-2008, 08:02 AM

1,119 posts, read 4,198,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfrerkes View Post
You would think with all those entertainment options the proponents of each city claim to have, representatives from either camp would have no spare time available for engaging in such trivial comparisons.

Well, its a bit of a rivalry and a mostly healthy one too..

Both cities have accomplished much more than anyone would have imagined either one ever accomplishing and so both cities have a lot to brag about..

Every city has a counter part that it looks at like a sibling, even LA and SF residents who live in the USA's largest ghettos

Old 08-07-2008, 08:41 AM

5,234 posts, read 7,984,345 times
ive always thought of omaha, des moines and wichita in the same way. pretty much a bland midwestern city. ive lived in wichita, and omaha both. i went to hs and college in omaha so i know it well. i think omaha wins over des moines, but they have much in common, and always will.

i live in rural iowa now, and have been looking to move out of state. i was surprised that some smaller cities back east in beautiful locations such as oswego, ny and rural areas near there were much cheaper than real estate in the omaha, des moines and many rural iowa areas. i dont really think either place, omaha or des moines, has that much to offer.

if you are talking about how many chain stores these places have etc, most all the cities look alike in the new subdivisions anyway, dont you think? lots of fast food places, strip malls, and very few large trees. i think both cities lost much of their original character when they began tearing down many of the historic old buildings, and replacing them with vertical ice cube tray looking structures.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:00 AM

3,340 posts, read 9,686,325 times
Well, we can say its pretty much a tie now and call it quits, both cities are awesome.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:08 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
I saw House Hunters last night on HGTV and it featured the Ankeny area of Des Moines. Needless to say I was very unimpressed with the new construction in that area even though it was cheaply priced. I guess some people like the idea of buying a vinyl box with zero landscaping.

Old 08-07-2008, 05:03 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,686,325 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/general-u-s/400743-city-counterparts-2.html

Old 08-07-2008, 05:47 PM

459 posts, read 2,227,662 times
Ankeny is a pretty typical US suburb. I would be very hesitant to base your entire opinion of the city on a TV show. Ankeny is a city of over 40,000 residents and has a pretty diverse housing stock - Yes there are the new chaep vinyl sided housing tracts, but there are also new neigborhoods of million dollar homes...and everything in between.

Old 08-07-2008, 06:36 PM

1,119 posts, read 4,198,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
ive always thought of omaha, des moines and wichita in the same way. pretty much a bland midwestern city. ive lived in wichita, and omaha both. i went to hs and college in omaha so i know it well. i think omaha wins over des moines, but they have much in common, and always will.

i live in rural iowa now, and have been looking to move out of state. i was surprised that some smaller cities back east in beautiful locations such as oswego, ny and rural areas near there were much cheaper than real estate in the omaha, des moines and many rural iowa areas. i dont really think either place, omaha or des moines, has that much to offer.

if you are talking about how many chain stores these places have etc, most all the cities look alike in the new subdivisions anyway, dont you think? lots of fast food places, strip malls, and very few large trees. i think both cities lost much of their original character when they began tearing down many of the historic old buildings, and replacing them with vertical ice cube tray looking structures.

blah blah blah blah, blah blah blah.. blah.. blah.... blah... and am moving away... blah blah blah blah...

See ya!

Old 08-07-2008, 09:53 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe1 View Post
Ankeny is a pretty typical US suburb. I would be very hesitant to base your entire opinion of the city on a TV show. Ankeny is a city of over 40,000 residents and has a pretty diverse housing stock - Yes there are the new chaep vinyl sided housing tracts, but there are also new neigborhoods of million dollar homes...and everything in between.
Yes, but the show featured three houses in that general area and they all were newer vinyl houses. I guess brick has gotten more expensive over the past several years that they prefer to use more vinyl these days.

Old 09-24-2009, 11:34 AM

82 posts, read 140,336 times
Omaha vs Des Moines = 6 and 1/2 dozen of the other. They are interchangeable IMHO.

Although Des Moines does have the better signature skyscraper of the two, but strangely it's almost the exact same height as Omaha's.
Coincidence?? I think not.
LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines