Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 09:53 AM

66 posts, read 185,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
^ you don't just sign up for an NBA team and wait for it in the mail. Most cities with teams need a metro population of at least double that of Des Moines to even be considered.

There are 50 cities out there like Des Moines that would take one if they were in the running.
I 've read in magazine that researched des moines and that magazine stated that des moines was fully capable of supporting a nfl team and 98% capable of supporting nba team. des moines want to be a city, but scared to become a city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 11:19 AM

4,857 posts, read 7,608,601 times
LA doesn't have a NFL team along with cities like San Antonio. The NFL would never award Des Moines with a team. It has nothing to do with the elected officials in Des Moines, the voters, how many fans would buy season tickets, stupid magazine articles etc.

Holding Des Moines to the fire cuz they don't have pro sports is absurd.

Old 04-20-2010, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
LA doesn't have a NFL team along with cities like San Antonio. The NFL would never award Des Moines with a team. It has nothing to do with the elected officials in Des Moines, the voters, how many fans would buy season tickets, stupid magazine articles etc.

Holding Des Moines to the fire cuz they don't have pro sports is absurd.
LA do not want a NFL team, San Antonio is in a state with already two teams, so that arguement fails. Now i see why des moines population can never get over the 200.000 mark nobody wants to live there,des moines brain drain.people want to live where they feel apart of something.If not pro sports,des moines better hurry up and do something big, or sioux falls will pass you by, if not already. they think big and they are very aggressive.

Old 04-20-2010, 12:17 PM

1,744 posts, read 7,259,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h20loo-iowa View Post
If waterloo can have a NBA team 70 yeasrs ago , des moines should beable to round-up 40-50 thousand people for season tickets every year, and if it can't, des moines do not have what it takes to represent the state , then that would make des moines a all show and no go type of town.

You realize that 40-50 thousand season tickets would mean that pretty much one in ten or twelve people in the Des Moines area would have to purchase season tickets, right? And that one in ten people in the Des Moines area would have to attend more or else each and every game in order to make it work?

Waterloo having had an NBA team seventy years ago has absolutely zero bearing on the feasibility of a team in Des Moines here in 2010. Now I wasn't around 70 years ago, but I can assure you that professional sports were a drastically different business then compared to now. Why doesn't Waterloo have an NBA team if they could do it 70 years ago? There's just not enough people to sustain something like that. I guess that makes Des Moines all show and no go?

If some magazine says Des Moines is capable of maintaining a team, I dare them to put their money where their mouth is and put up the money needed to get a franchise. If it's a sure bet, what's the risk?

Old 04-20-2010, 01:33 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,608,601 times
Quote:
LA do not want a NFL team, San Antonio is in a state with already two teams, so that arguement fails. Now i see why des moines population can never get over the 200.000 mark nobody wants to live there,des moines brain drain.people want to live where they feel apart of something.If not pro sports,des moines better hurry up and do something big, or sioux falls will pass you by, if not already. they think big and they are very aggressive.

LA is getting an NFL team soon enough, giving California 4 teams. Some teams as close as Oakland and San Fransico so the argument of Texas already having 2 fails big time.

Seattle couldn't hold on to an NBA team, New Orleans doesn't have a MLB team, Portland has no Pro Football or Baseball (just to name a few cities) and you're talking trash about Des Moines for not having Pro Sports? What a joke.

Old 04-20-2010, 02:23 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
^ yeah, this whole Des Moines + Professional Sport Team debate is really pretty pointless. Des Moines is behind a LOT of larger markets out there that want and would recieve a sport team before Des Moines. Whether Des Moines wanted a team or not.

Regardless of the fact it's sandwiched between Minneapolis, Chicago, St. Louis and Kansas City that force it's possible market into a fairly small pocket.

I can think of many other larger cities like Albuquerque, Las Vegas, Omaha, Birmingham, Richmond, etc. etc. that make more sense than Des Moines.

Des Moines isn't big enough for a team. You can't blame the city. It's growing quite a bit faster than the US as a whole these days.

Old 04-20-2010, 02:28 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
Quote:
You realize that the Des Moines area has grown from 392,000 to 563,000 since the 1990's. That's 44% growth in a state that's had a small fraction of that during the same period, in a region that's had a small fraction of that as well.

I don't understand how you can think Des Moines isn't thinking big or being aggresive. Have you been there in the past 15 years? Have you seen what's changed compared to the 15 years preceeding that? Should people start a list of everything?

20 years ago the Des Moines metro had a 253,000 population gap on Sioux Falls. Today it has 325,000.

It's like you're comparing Des Moines as similar to the Quad Cities or Flint or something.

Old 04-20-2010, 02:32 PM

1,744 posts, read 7,259,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
^ yeah, this whole Des Moines + Professional Sport Team debate is really pretty pointless. Des Moines is behind a LOT of larger markets out there that want and would recieve a sport team before Des Moines. Whether Des Moines wanted a team or not.

Regardless of the fact it's sandwiched between Minneapolis, Chicago, St. Louis and Kansas City that force it's possible market into a fairly small pocket.

I can think of many other larger cities like Albuquerque, Las Vegas, Omaha, Birmingham, Richmond, etc. etc. that make more sense than Des Moines.

Des Moines isn't big enough for a team. You can't blame the city. It's growing quite a bit faster than the US as a whole these days.

I think Omaha MIGHT be able to pull it off, but that's still a bit of a stretch. They seem to do a good job supporting their minor league teams and there's Lincoln, Sioux City, Des Moines and maybe Sioux Falls nearby to draw a few extra people. Maybe someday we might see....

Oh, and just to throw it out there, there was a rumor going around that MLS considered Des Moines when the league was starting out. I would've totally been into that but now that the bar has been raised a bit in that league, wouldn't happen.

Old 04-20-2010, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
LA is getting an NFL team soon enough, giving California 4 teams. Some teams as close as Oakland and San Fransico so the argument of Texas already having 2 fails big time.

Seattle couldn't hold on to an NBA team, New Orleans doesn't have a MLB team, Portland has no Pro Football or Baseball (just to name a few cities) and you're talking trash about Des Moines for not having Pro Sports? What a joke.
Know wonder des moines and iowa has nothing,it has a exscuse for trying anything,try growing a pair, or be left out of all discusions.

Old 04-20-2010, 03:52 PM

681 posts, read 3,035,613 times
Quote:
I 've read in magazine that researched des moines and that magazine stated that des moines was fully capable of supporting a nfl team and 98% capable of supporting nba team. des moines want to be a city, but scared to become a city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines