Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 03:49 AM

999 posts, read 4,526,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Actually, Wayne State is considered part of Midtown,
My mistake, for some reason, I thought she was going to be at Henry Ford Hosp.

Quote:
Am pretty disarmed about living in WSU area now!!!!!!!!
Am single and female and burgarly is the last thing i want to experience is that not to mention other types of crime.
I wouldn't worry about burglary unless you were going to get a single family house in a neighborhood around there. Apartments or condos should be OK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2007, 02:03 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,198,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaba View Post
Am pretty disarmed about living in WSU area now!!!!!!!!
Am single and female and burgarly is the last thing i want to experience is that not to mention other types of crime.

So ,can anybody please tel me something about southgate?
Or How much do apartments in Royal oak,ferndale cost? $600-$700 per month?

Thanks i really appreciate your replies.
Shaba.
I don't know personally about WSU, but on these forums I have seen numerous posts that say that the area immediately surrounding WSU is very safe due to the presence of campus police.

That being said, I live in Royal Oak. If you are single I would highly recommend either Royal Oak or Ferndale. Both skew young and liberal, and aren't too far from where you'll be commuting to. They are both walkable communities and are generally safe with a very vibrant nightlife. You would probably love this area! You are about right on your estimate for monthly rent, so come on and check it out! And welcome to the area.

Old 06-19-2007, 04:04 PM

10 posts, read 51,980 times
Thank you all,my search for apartments and townhouses isn't as easy as i had originally thought it would be.

Am looking at apartments along Woodward Av. i.e. Highland Park,Hamtramck,Hazel Park,Royal Oak and Ferndale. And yes in case you have noticed am keeping it short/no lengthy commute!

Jeffncandace, you r right on,i love the apartments/townhomes in Royal oak/Ferndale for rent. Problem is not many come with all the ammenties am looking for such as washer/dryer in unit,pool,fitness center etc.

Please tell me there is atleast one out there.
And where can i search it up???

Thanks Shaba.

Old 06-19-2007, 04:26 PM

I wouldn't even think about living in Highland Park. The area immediately around Wayne and Henry Ford Hosp. is better that that. If you're not going to live near campus or the Hospital or downtown, and you want to live near Woodward, go NORTH of 8 Mile.

Old 06-19-2007, 04:34 PM

This one is about 20 minutes from Wayne......give or take depending on what time you're driving:
Fairlane East in Dearborn, MI

Older, but a good neighborhood. This neighborhood was established just before WWII for Ford Motor Company managers. It's probably also 20 minutes to Wayne with fairly good traffic conditions:
Springwells Park in Dearborn, MI

This Midtown building looks kinda cool....don't know about a fitness center, but surely Wayne State has something like that:
Graphic Arts Lofts at New Amsterdam in Detroit, MI

Nice looking high-rise by the river:
The Jeffersonian in Detroit, MI

Another nice downtown location:
Trolley Plaza in Detroit, MI

I had an aunt that lived here......I think there are better choices for downtown, ie. newer buildings:
Lafayette Towers in Detroit, MI

Anyway, you get the idea....check
Apartments for Rent and Homes for Rent for more....Good luck...

Last edited by and the; 06-19-2007 at 04:47 PM..

Old 06-19-2007, 05:55 PM

3 posts, read 11,409 times
Thumbs up Downtown detroit is awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaba View Post
Hi all,i am going to work in Detroit very soon,but cannot seem to make up my mind where to live.I would like to live near Wayne State Uni. but i don't know if its safe to live around there.Basically i don't know much about Detroit and all its counties to make the best option.The reason why i rather live close to work,is because i don't want to commute a daily lengthy journey.I went by southgate and it looked really nice,but i have to travel say 15 miles to work.
Is downtown detroit a considerable option?Please could somebody advise?
Downtown Detroit is an awesome place to live, play and work, there is a colorful array of people. Detroit is a melting pot. I lived there for many years.
what are you looking for loft, apartment, room and board. There is a housing list for michigan.gov this might help.

Old 06-19-2007, 06:20 PM

Hey guys thanks alot for all these boosts,i truely appreciate it.

thanks, am looking for an apartment or townhome around 1 Ford Place,WSU or Henry Ford Hospital. Any ideas in the meantime am gonna check out this housing list for michigan .gov

Thanks shaba

Old 06-20-2007, 08:45 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,198,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by and the View Post
I wouldn't even think about living in Highland Park. The area immediately around Wayne and Henry Ford Hosp. is better that that. If you're not going to live near campus or the Hospital or downtown, and you want to live near Woodward, go NORTH of 8 Mile.
This post is right on, please listen to it. Highland Park is, ahem, shall we say, LESS than desirable.

I unfortunately don't know personally of any apartments here that I can direct you to. Good luck!

Old 06-20-2007, 03:30 PM

162 posts, read 604,334 times
Thanks Jay...there is NO SUCH thing as a "short commute" on I-75 unless your working evening (after 6:30p) and midnight hours.

Old 06-21-2007, 09:10 PM

So,who lives downriver or in southgate?Can somebody give us a picture of how it is down there? Somebody? Anybody?Is anyone???????????there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit