Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 09:43 PM

3 posts, read 15,648 times

Advertisements

I lived downriver for a long time. Recently moved for work. However, I loved it. So since you are asking about Southgate, it is a nice city. Some areas are nicer than others. But, less expensive than the northern sub's. In fact, you can get a bigger place there for less $. Not much in terms of things to do, but nice for family. Drive downtown Detroit, which I drove EVERY DAY, is really not bad. Just watch traffic before you leave, and you'll be fine. (unless you really only want a 5 min drive to work). Southgate has a few areas close to 75, which is great for the commute. Also, Riverview (about same distance) is really nice as well. I would recommend those two cities. I wouldn't really suggest Taylor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2007, 10:01 PM

10 posts, read 51,990 times
Thank you dog8mcat.
I went down southgate,allen park and south rockwood.I found these places quite calm and with lots of breeze especially southgate.
All the way from exit-27 to exit-40 on I-75. Time to commute to Detroit ranged from 22-28 mins.Now i would imagine,at rush hour that would sky-rocket to say 40 mins. Would you say i would be living in my car if i chose to live in anyone of these places?

Old 06-22-2007, 12:21 AM

3 posts, read 15,648 times
I completely forgot about Allen Park. That is very nice as well. As for South Rockwood, you would be adding a LOT of time onto your drive. I am not sure on specifics about the city however. That is a little bit further south than I was.

I used to have to be at work by 9am. So, I would usually leave at 7:45-8:15 (usually closer to 8:00) This always gave me enough time for parking and getting into the office. I parked a little farther away from the office. Of course, I was famliar with the roads and knew shortcuts through the city. I never thought the morning was bad. The worst part is usually the evening (I got off at 5). However, if I ever had to stay late (5:30ish) I would be ok.

Note that if there is ever an accident (or heavy constuction), then usually the drive will be horrible. This is especially true because many semi-trucks use 75 to go to canada. But, you could always take a different way home. Plus, there are many ways to get dowriver if needed, just get off the freeway. (ex. fort street is a great way to avoid the freeway & it starts in downtown detroit and will go down through downriver. plus you can exit the freeway (75) at many points during the drive home, and take side roads to whereever you are going.)

However, after you get to know the area, I'd say you'd be fine. You can always take different ways to get to work or home. (sometimes I'd take 94)
I was almost always home by 5:30-5:45. And, there were always days where there was no traffic at all. But, I must admit, when it was bad, it was bad.

Old 06-25-2007, 12:30 PM

162 posts, read 604,451 times
I don't live Downriver but I have friends that live there and really like it. I guess it depends on what you are asking or what exactly you're looking for...

Old 06-26-2007, 06:21 PM

10 posts, read 51,990 times
Great replies from everyone.THANKS ALL YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Without you i wouldn't have made up a quick decision where to live in Michigan.A big thanks to you all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-19-2007, 03:39 PM

607 posts, read 2,980,374 times
are you moving to detroit, sorry I couldn't help, but I think detroit is a great choice.

Old 10-15-2007, 07:48 AM

41 posts, read 183,538 times
Wink Midtown is the Best Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaba View Post
Great replies from everyone.THANKS ALL YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Without you i wouldn't have made up a quick decision where to live in Michigan.A big thanks to you all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And I will tell you why these people who are commenting in how the crime is don't actually live here, they go by preception. This is what you will be missing if you don't live here. First the area is very diverse,with students educators and professionals living here. Very trendy hip little shops that seems to be popping up around here each month. You don't have that long and boring commute plus here we have great festivals all year round ohh not mention that your in the middle of the Culture District. We have a great music scene here if your into that also great dining. But if want a Boring surburb where people don't know anyone because everyone drives everywhere thats why I got the Hell out and move here because I want to be in the Heart where all the Action is!!! If your looking for an Urban Vibrant Location this is it if not have a boring long drive from the burbs.

Old 10-15-2007, 02:29 PM

162 posts, read 604,451 times
Default Experience first hand

I live in Detroit. I've lived here my whole life which is why I can't wait to leave ;-( Detroit personally has nothing to offer me anymore...but for others depending on your interests, this may be the area for you.

There are some great aspects about Detroit with the midtown area in particular (I'm a student at WSU), but not telling you about the negative aspects would give a very false perception of the city or that particular area for that matter. If I were to stay in Detroit the midtown area would be one to consider, but it does come with a price tag. The lofts and condos are pricey and the insurance is out of this world.

All the best! Do evaluate all of the advice that is being given. I think that Berrymist27 had some valid points to conisder

Old 04-24-2009, 02:27 PM

186 posts, read 587,940 times
If you don't live any where else, live downtown, it's safe, clean, exciting, and you'd be very close to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit