Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 11:07 PM

271 posts, read 1,668,271 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone. I haven't been to the Detroit metro area in a long while.

I know the Detroit Lions moved to Ford Field in Downtown Detroit almost 10 years ago.

So what will become of the Pontiac Silverdome in suburban Detroit?

I know the Silverdome has been sitting idle for the past decade. And I know it was auctioned off, and the new owners want to turn it back into a "world-class sports and entertainment venue". In fact, the Silverdome recently re-opened, and has since hosted a monster-truck rally. It will even host an international soccer game this summer.

So will the Silverdome return to being an acceptable multi-purpose venue like it once was? Especially for concerts?

Downtown Detroit has been in economic ruins and urban decay. Yes, there's Ford Field, Comerica Park, and Joe Louis. But Downtown Detroit is well-known for really bad neighborhoods and high crime rates.

So I figure that all non-sports entertainment events should be moved to the Silverdome to get away from all of that. I mean, the Palace of Auburn Hills is near there.

What do you Michigan residents think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 05:56 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,002,850 times
Well you completely wrong about downtown Detroit. It is not well known for bad neighborhoods and high crime. In fact, its crime rate is below state and national average.

Old 06-18-2010, 08:14 PM

Then what do you say about this?

YouTube - george4title's Channel

Old 06-18-2010, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericho-79 View Post

I say that's not downtown. In fact, he even acknowledged that in the 3rd video.

Old 06-18-2010, 08:24 PM

The guy is also an idiot. Why don't they tear them down? With what money? Maybe he should found the demolishion if he is that worried about the children. Hell the city of Detroit doesn't even own half the properties.

Old 06-20-2010, 10:30 AM

1,107 posts, read 3,071,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolls View Post
The guy is also an idiot. Why don't they tear them down? With what money? Maybe he should found the demolishion if he is that worried about the children. Hell the city of Detroit doesn't even own half the properties.
This is true. The Detroit Free Press did an article a month or two ago about the how many Detroit abandon disrepair properties are owned by Billionaire Manuel Moroun.

Old 06-20-2010, 02:35 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,283,360 times
I've seen a few concerts at the Silverdome. The acoustics, for lack of a better word, suck. I hope they can do something with it, though.

Old 06-22-2010, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanman13 View Post
I've seen a few concerts at the Silverdome. The acoustics, for lack of a better word, suck. I hope they can do something with it, though.
Which concerts? Were they recent?

From what I hear, the Silverdome has been mainly used for monster truck shows.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:17 AM

2,544 posts, read 4,283,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericho-79 View Post
Which concerts? Were they recent?

From what I hear, the Silverdome has been mainly used for monster truck shows.
No, this goes back twenty years or so. I have seen Pink Floyd, The Who/Primus, Ted Nugent, and others at the Dome. Horrible sound from bands that typically had excellent sound.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanman13 View Post
No, this goes back twenty years or so. I have seen Pink Floyd, The Who/Primus, Ted Nugent, and others at the Dome. Horrible sound from bands that typically had excellent sound.
So will the Silverdome ever host large-scale concerts again? Like it did back then.

The Dome would be easier to get to for Detroit suburbanites, as Ford Field and Comercia Park are downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit