Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2010, 08:48 AM

68 posts, read 161,846 times

Advertisements

Has anyone heard anything new?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2011, 06:50 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
Maybe the authorities are waiting for the metro train line to be built along the I 94 corridor?

Old 01-01-2011, 07:18 PM

From what I've read recently, It sounds like construction on Phase 1 (3.4 miles) will began later this year. Looks like it should be complete and running by 2013-2014. Phase 2 ( about 6 miles) will began later. The whole 9+ miles should be running by 2016.

Old 01-02-2011, 08:52 PM

1,497 posts, read 3,489,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIW14 View Post
From what I've read recently, It sounds like construction on Phase 1 (3.4 miles) will began later this year. Looks like it should be complete and running by 2013-2014. Phase 2 ( about 6 miles) will began later. The whole 9+ miles should be running by 2016.
This ranked #2 on an Mlive.com article about how Governor Snyder can help Detroit:

Quote:
Long-range regional transit plan – When the Detroit People Mover opened in 1987, ithe Renaissance Center and the Millender Center was finally connected with something more advanced than an enclosed pedestrian tunnel. But the People Mover was supposed to be the starting point for a larger transit system that never materialized.

It’s hard not to view piecemeal transit plans for metro Detroit through the lens of the People Mover failure. The M-1 line or a commuter line to Ann Arbor are nice ideas but we can’t afford to just hope fully-formed transit system will happen if/come down the rail. Nor is the continued SMART/DDOT division helping anyone, least of all bus riders.

MDOT should take the lead on crafting a detailed 25-year master plan for transit in southeast Michigan. We need a plan (comparable to the DC Metro) showing what a transit system will look like a generation and a time line explaining how it will be implemented.

Four outside-the-box ways Gov. Rick Snyder can help Detroit | MLive.com
So much of the state's mass transit possibilities depend on whether Governor Snyder keeps his campaign promise to support functional mass transit. If he panders to people who want to continue with mega road subsidies, i.e. construction companies, sprawl developers, and BIG OIL, then it will go nowhere. That's what Granholm did for 8 years. Personally, I don't care if the liberals support mass transit because it's "green" or the conservatives support it because it will use less taxpayer subsidies.... just build it so that we can start attracting some people back to the state.... Man!

Old 01-16-2011, 07:40 AM

I can't wait for the environmental study to be over. It sounds like they will start construction immediately after the study is over.

Old 01-19-2011, 03:00 PM

After the woodward light rail is up, what do you think should be the second corridor to have a light rail system along ?

I'm thinking either Grand River or Gratiot.

Old 01-19-2011, 06:31 PM

21,097 posts, read 19,694,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIW14 View Post
After the woodward light rail is up, what do you think should be the second corridor to have a light rail system along ?
That's a great question! Let's take a look at the traffic volumes. http://www.michigan.gov/documents/md...T_175485_7.pdf
As you can see, Gratiot is the busiest corridor, even busier than Woodward! So the question is: Why was Woodward chosen to be the first recipient???

Another method would be to look at what bus routes have the most ridership. The most obvious source Detroit Department of Transportation | City of Detroit | www.detroitmi.gov provided no info. Why not???

Seems to me these questions should have been answered in initial planning stages.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
That's a great question! Let's take a look at the traffic volumes. http://www.michigan.gov/documents/md...T_175485_7.pdf
As you can see, Gratiot is the busiest corridor, even busier than Woodward! So the question is: Why was Woodward chosen to be the first recipient???

Another method would be to look at what bus routes have the most ridership. The most obvious source Detroit Department of Transportation | City of Detroit | www.detroitmi.gov provided no info. Why not???

Seems to me these questions should have been answered in initial planning stages.
Such things were studied extensively, in fact they were studied ad nauseum. Woodward was chosen for a number of reasons, not excluding the fact that it is the most appropriate corridor to build the initial leg of a Metro Detroit mass transit line.

Woodward has all of the region's primary urban centers located along it, from downtown Detroit to Pontiac. It has a number of landmark institutions along its path from downtown Detroit through Oakland County. It has educational institutions, job centers, multiple hospitals, and dense residential areas. It also has many, many major tourist and entertainment destinations along its route, especially in Detroit. It will also connect downtown Detroit and Oakland County with the main Amtrack station in New Center. Woodward has been aptly described as the "spine" of Metro Detroit because it runs right down the middle. This is important for Park and Ride commuters and for accessibility. It is also the most urbanized of the 4 major corridors leading out from the city center. As an initial phase, Woodward makes by far the most sense.

This issue has been studied by local, state, and federal planners. It has been studied by private investors, it has been surveyed by the public, multiple business, economic, environmental and community leaders, and public input was requested and taken into account. Now, you are looking at some data you found online and are criticizing the entire project. A project that you don't even support. If you want light rail to run down Gratiot because you live in Eastpointe, then get behind light rail and support it. Otherwise, people who have been tracking this project for years will out the ridiculousness of your suggetions.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:14 PM

21,097 posts, read 19,694,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForStarters View Post
Otherwise, people who have been tracking this project for years will out the ridiculousness of your suggetions.
I'm waiting. Since the studies are so readily available, I'm sure it won't be hard for someone to post a link here.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
I'm waiting. Since the studies are so readily available, I'm sure it won't be hard for someone to post a link here.
Here is one of my previous post in this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForStarters
Just wanted to add the M1 scoping booklet, which includes maps, proposed downtown routes, and a timeline:

http://www.woodwardlightrail.com/f/S..._-_English.pdf (http://www.woodwardlightrail.com/f/Scoping_Booklet_-_English.pdf - broken link)

Here is the NEPA homepage, which has a lot of information about the project's process as well:

NEPA Compliance (http://www.woodwardlightrail.com/NEPA.html - broken link)

Also, detroittransit.org has a posting about whether the train should run down the middle of Woodward or on the side of the street. Personally, I think it would be more efficient and effective if it ran down the center of Woodward because it would not interfere as much with traffic and the train itself would not be affected by congestion. The line should provide rapid transit, not simply emulate a curbside bus service.

If you have an opinion on whether the M1 should be in the center of Woodward or curbside, you can voice it here by clicking on the link: Transportation Riders United (TRU) - Archived Blog The comment period closes Septmber 13th.
I am not going dissect the information for you. If what you are looking for is not there, there's this really helpful resource called Google. If you've been reading this thread, you will also see that the studies are not even complete. The Environmental Impact study is still being conducted, and it doesn't only have to do with the "environment."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit