Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 07:27 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,103,296 times

Advertisements

I'm well over 18. Can I cross the border at Ambassador Bridge (Windsor) in a car registered to my dad without any kind of grief? I've heard I'd need a paper from some, and that they don't care from others. We have the same last name so it's obvious we're of relation. Will I have any trouble getting back in? I'm very far away from him, distance-wise, so a note would be hard to acquire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 07:58 PM

1,497 posts, read 3,489,698 times
I don't think it matters that much whether you take the bridge or tunnel. Definitely have current proof of registration and insurance. Just be honest with them at the border. I was driving my dad's car over the boarder years ago and was asked what the license plate number was. I was able to recite it verbatim from memory even though it wasn't my car. They guy was impressed enough to let me through. Photographic memory comes in handy.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:17 PM

183 posts, read 322,681 times
I don't think it matters what you're driving if you have a logical explanation. Just make sure you have a passport or an enhanced drivers license and you should be fine.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:33 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,070,332 times
A little off topic, take the tunnel. Don't give your money to the Billionaire slum lord by taking the bridge. Take a look at the old train station the bridge owner owns and that is what your supporting if you take the bridge. You will be putting money into Matty's pockets and he refuses to restore the blight properties he owns.

Old 07-28-2010, 12:45 AM

I was planning on taking the tunnel on the way back, I'm showing some people around both Windsor and Detroit, so I should take the bridge at least once. Which one has less of a hassle to get through? Are they both equal?

Also, will I be allowed to cross back and forth very often without getting hassled for frequent crossing? I'll be in and out every day for 4 days between the two.

Also, two of my re-entries will be on my own, the final one being with the people I enter Canada with in the first place... Is this gonna be trouble?

Last edited by UKUKUK; 07-28-2010 at 01:39 AM..

Old 07-28-2010, 06:51 AM

378 posts, read 974,274 times
I've driven across the bridge many times (post 9/11) in a car that was registered to my father - just make sure to answer whatever questions truthfully and respectfully and you should be fine. You can give cops a hard time but never ever EVER be snippy with the border guards. Cool story time: About 5 yrs ago, I was having business meetings in Windsor for a few weeks after getting a new job. On one of my trips back through the tunnel the guard asked "How much money do you make a year?". My first instinct was to tell him "probably more than you" but instead I took a deep breath and rattled off last years tax info. Did he need to know? Not really. Would it be in best interest to just answer and move on? Absolutely. They love to ask a question that they think will trip you up so be prepared. No doubt it's part of their training at detecting shady folk.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:42 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Many of the border guards tend to be pompous a$$es. they are infatuated with the perceived power that their job gives them and the love to harass people, ask inappropriate personal questions etc. As long as you just let them play their ego games you will rarely have problems (unless you act or look suspicious or have really good looking women with you). Remeber this is their one chance to feel like a big important guy, let them have their ego trip, even if it makes you crazy angry. You can argue with them and ask to talk to their supervisors, but it will accomplish nothing and tie you up for an hour or more.

I have never been asked about who owns my car, not even when we were stopped and the car was searched, or when I insited on talking to a suprevisor becuase the guy was intentiaionally being a jerk, and made inappropriate comments to my daughters. (Do nto do this, the supervisor did not care what the guy said or did, and we ended up getting held and questioned for over an hour).

Old 07-28-2010, 10:41 AM

Thanks for the replies so far. Any more comments are welcome. Do all cars coming into America get searched? How often do they search going into Canada?

Old 07-28-2010, 11:12 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
We have had our car searched twice in about 50 - 100 crossings. Once was coming into the US from Canada and once when crossing into the US from Niagra Falls.

Old 07-28-2010, 11:59 AM

378 posts, read 974,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
Thanks for the replies so far. Any more comments are welcome. Do all cars coming into America get searched? How often do they search going into Canada?
For a while I worked in St. Thomas, ON and Milton, ON & drove back every weekend. For about a year of crossing I was searched twice on the US side and never on the Canadian but that was up @ the Bluewater bridge. I've only been searched once coming home on the Ambassador but I was 19 and that was @ 3am on a Friday. I had 3 passed out girls in my car recovering from a night out on Oulette (I was very much a gentleman ). BTW - to re-answer your original question, they asked me if it was my car and I said yes not thinking. It was in fact, my fathers. He asked if it was actually a relatives and I realized my error. When I corrected my original statement all was forgiven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit