Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2010, 05:41 PM

17 posts, read 63,486 times

Advertisements

I've had my stint at the beach and am considering moving back to my home state of MI. I have always loved Plymouth and the downtown area. As a single woman over 45, will I be able to have a social life there? Not a party animal anymore, but I want to be able to walk places, go out for a bite to eat and a cocktail,meet people, become part of the community and have a social life..any input would be appreciated. Wouldn't hurt if there were some other singles to meet...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 04:35 AM

183 posts, read 322,831 times
I don't know much about the single scene in Plymouth proper but everything else you mention makes it sound perfect. The downtown is really nice and a good place to walk around. I think there's plenty of popular restaurants and coffee shops and general vibrancy.

I say give it a shot; you won't be disappointed.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:02 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
We have an associate in our firm who is single, about 40 and lived in downtown plymouth. She loves it there. However it is not a big singles scene location. That is probably in Royal Oak. Ann Arbor has a lively singles scene, but mostly a younger crowd.

My brother also lives in Downtown plymouth. He is married but they ahve no kids. They also love living in Plymouth. They like the proximity to Ann Arbor and about anything else that you would want. THey have very good freeway access. The community events are awesome and keep them busy. They enjoy having guests and taking them for a walk downtown. If you like small town charming, it is pretty ideal.

The housing stock is execellent with a little bit of everything around town (no McMansions in the downtown area, but you find them aplenty if you go a bit outside of town). Although there are other towns that are just as good. I would be hard pressed to say that any given town is a whole lot better for a place to live.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:06 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
As far as meeting people, you need to join stuff. Join everything that you can. Anything that interests you. If you like theater, join a theater group, that is one of the best ways to get to know people well. Join too much and then sort out the pnes that you like the best and drop the others. People in Michigan tend to be shy and somewhat suspicious at first. Once you get to know them, they will gladly give you their coat. However breaking through the initial barrier of shyness and suspicion can be difficult. Do not take it as snobbery or unfreindliness. At first you will say "Why do people always talk about how great people are in Michigan?" They are great, just difficult to get to know. You just have to go crazy at first getting to know some people.

Old 08-31-2010, 05:53 AM

17 posts, read 63,486 times
thanks everyone for your feedback. I think Pymouth is my choice. Don't really care if it's not a big singles scene, but hopefully a few professional singes at the happy hours, etc? I agree with Coldjensens about joining groups with common interests. Not too worried about MI people being hard to get to know - I grew up there, so not an issue for me.

Now all I have to do is figure out how to handle the winters after 8 years of living in Florida....

Old 08-31-2010, 08:14 AM

1,142 posts, read 1,641,698 times
I'm single over 45 and living up north in Michigan, but I think downstate offers plenty of ways to meet people. You're never far from the various bigger cities that offer a lot. I talked to quite a few Florida people up here for the summer, and they all said the heat we had up here this year was pretty much what it's like in Florida. I wouldn't want this almost year round so if you've had your fill of the beach scene then I think you'll get used to our winters again without a lot of trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
View detailed profiles of: