Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 01:41 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,394,410 times

Advertisements

I'm literally getting sick of the bs people post on here. 90% of the people on this site live in the burbs or in a whole different state and either have never been or only been to ONE area of the city. Does anybody know of any forums where there are DETROITERS (people who live in the city not across 8mile, not in another state, not people who haven't been here since the 60s etc) talking about Detroit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 01:54 PM

1,497 posts, read 3,490,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
I'm literally getting sick of the bs people post on here. 90% of the people on this site live in the burbs or in a whole different state and either have never been or only been to ONE area of the city. Does anybody know of any forums where there are DETROITERS (people who live in the city not across 8mile, not in another state, not people who haven't been here since the 60s etc) talking about Detroit?
Yes.

Old 09-13-2010, 02:01 PM

21,131 posts, read 19,707,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forstarters View Post
lmao! I used to belong to that forum. Mostly suburbanites and out-of-towners, just like here.

Old 09-13-2010, 02:18 PM

58 posts, read 138,883 times
Quote:
Are u talking about Detroiter like me? A person that lived on East Outer Drive/Chandler area and went to Finney and Denby high school? A person that has lived there recently and seen/experienced many of the the D areas? A person who visits every other week to see family in Detroit? A person only in there 20's and was not alive in the 60's? Im part of that 10%!

If people on this site are stating false or irrelevant information, then just correct them!

Old 09-13-2010, 02:21 PM

1,497 posts, read 3,490,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
lmao! I used to belong to that forum. Mostly suburbanites and out-of-towners, just like here.
More like a 50/50 split. Plus, it has much more detailed and inside information about goings-on in Detroit. And, it has a much different perspective on Detroit than this forum. Everything on C-D eventually boils down to a pedantic conversation about how bad Detroit is, why the city isn't worth saving, or why the best solution is to push it into the river. I only contribute here for the benefit of others who may be genuinely interested in the good things happening in Detroit, or may frame an opinion based on inaccurate information.

Old 09-13-2010, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaMove123 View Post
Are u talking about Detroiter like me? A person that lived on East Outer Drive/Chandler area and went to Finney and Denby high school? A person that has lived there recently and seen/experienced many of the the D areas? A person who visits every other week to see family in Detroit? A person only in there 20's and was not alive in the 60's? Im part of that 10%!

If people on this site are stating false or irrelevant information, then just correct them!
Trust me I do. I'm just getting so sick and tired of the people who come here soley to talk bad about the city and its people like we are some science experiment and not HUMANS! its irritating. No wonder everywhere I go people ask the dumbest questions when I say I'm from Detroit. Or ask downright disrespectful questions like "ew why do you live there?" or "when are you leaving". Like can you ask IF I want to leave.

Half of the info on this site is untrue

Detroit has gangs
Detroit has drive-bys and killing EVERY SINGLE DAY (no drive-bys anyway)
The metro is Great and the city is Terrible
Detroit has corner boys (men on the corners selling drugs)
The people mover was apart of the Obama project???? lmao
Palmer Park isn't in Detroit???? lmao neither is Sherwood Forest
Most people are lazy there thats why they are unemployed

^^^^^just a few statements I've seen on C-D that people make with no facts to back them up what so ever

Old 09-13-2010, 02:52 PM

58 posts, read 138,883 times
Quote:
Trust me I do. I'm just getting so sick and tired of the people who come here soley to talk bad about the city and its people like we are some science experiment and not HUMANS! its irritating. No wonder everywhere I go people ask the dumbest questions when I say I'm from Detroit. Or ask downright disrespectful questions like "ew why do you live there?" or "when are you leaving". Like can you ask IF I want to leave.

Detroit has gangs

^^^^^just a few statements I've seen on C-D that people make with no facts to back them up what so ever
I do agree, people do ask disrespectful questions. I remember telling a person where I was from and she stated "Oh, I would have never thought that, cause you don't act/look like it!" How do Detroit people look/act? I wouldn't to ask but i didn't. Cause I already had an idea of what she was implying. you are right, the things that you mentions above are untrue statements about Detroit. However, detroit does have two underlying major issues that make it unattractive to people. 1. Industries! We, nor Michigan as a whole have strong and diverse employment/Industry sectors. If we did detroit as a big city would attract and retain people. With these people it would stable housing etc. 2. Diversity! Yeah many will get on me about this but face the facts Detriot has been segerated (in the since of neighborhoods, schools etc) since I would remember.

Other than that Detroit/Michigan would be a great! Detroit could be on the same page as of Chicago. But, it just takes a lot of investment! Capital investment by big businesses which Michigan tax system does not attract like other states for their big cities. However, if any change was going to start, now is the best time, because the overall economy is low given us a working playing field @ and businesses a little discount over states (real estate, etc)...if we could get our taxes right and state government inline!

Old 09-13-2010, 06:16 PM

21,131 posts, read 19,707,707 times
Look at it this way detroitlove, you can be an ambassador for the city and correct everyone's misconceptions.

You taught me what a "corner boy" is. Wonder why I never learned that out in the suburbs?

Old 09-14-2010, 02:35 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,905,898 times
Quote:

Detroit has gangs

-SW has gangs. Go look at the graffiti around 94 and Lonyo; they aren't doing that stuff for fun.
-Maybe not every single day, but these things happen. They happen in the burbs too; I remember hearing stuff about drive bys in Sterling Heights 20 years ago.
-This isn't a great metro. Not bad but not great. The city is often terrible, but not always.
-I didn't know what a corner boy was either until you said that. I used to play a video game that had them too- kill them and you got $2000. I wonder if that works in real life.
-Nobody had ever heard of Obama when the PM was planned.
-Yes, Palmer Park and Sherwood Forest are in Detroit. Someone didn't know. Sorry.
-There are lazy people who are unemployed, but bad things happen to good people, too, nowadays.

As for saying, "Eww, why do you live there?" I ask that more of people from certain suburban areas, like Roachville, Mount Clemens, or (ick) St. Clair County. At least when you say you live in Detroit you could be from Palmer Woods or Harbortown.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by us66 View Post
-SW has gangs. Go look at the graffiti around 94 and Lonyo; they aren't doing that stuff for fun.
-Maybe not every single day, but these things happen. They happen in the burbs too; I remember hearing stuff about drive bys in Sterling Heights 20 years ago.
-This isn't a great metro. Not bad but not great. The city is often terrible, but not always.
-I didn't know what a corner boy was either until you said that. I used to play a video game that had them too- kill them and you got $2000. I wonder if that works in real life.
-Nobody had ever heard of Obama when the PM was planned.
-Yes, Palmer Park and Sherwood Forest are in Detroit. Someone didn't know. Sorry.
-There are lazy people who are unemployed, but bad things happen to good people, too, nowadays.

As for saying, "Eww, why do you live there?" I ask that more of people from certain suburban areas, like Roachville, Mount Clemens, or (ick) St. Clair County. At least when you say you live in Detroit you could be from Palmer Woods or Harbortown.
I know SW has some people claiming Chicago gangs. But most are latino and/or are orginally from Chicago. Even the latinos and the few blacks claiming them combined are a small number. There are also areas on E7mile and on Puritian who claim blood and some who claim crip on 6mile (basically non existent) but still too small. All the "few" people in the city claiming either LA or Chicago gangs combined from all areas in the city are still way to small to really have an affect on the drug game here. What I meant by we have no gangs really is the culture is not big here. Detroit isn't a gang city.

20 yrs ago is a long time and even then the drive-by thing was never really big here.

You'll have to go to the south for the corner boy thing lol well thats where I learned about them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit