Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 05:00 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,357,255 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody, i wanted to come and share some of my feelings about this place that i have never even visited, but that is really starting to pull at me. yeah, i know its insane.
i watched a docu not too long ago made by the BBC called "requiem for detroit". it blew my mind. i mean, i have been dreaming about the city since. i have always been a huge stooges fan, motown, etc- and i had long heard from many people who used to live there, including my ex-husband, how decrepit it was. but not until i saw that docu did the full tragedy hit me in the face. i just can't get the place out of my mind.
i can't think of a single other city in north america that is like it. its like an abandoned amusement park. all of american culture meets there. and being a fan of abandoned, decrepit places, there is something really pulling me there.
i know this might have been discussed on other forums at other times- but am i dreaming? is there something magnetic about this city that is going to transform it? a place so unbelievably foresaken is almost BOUND to become another experiment. it excites me to think about the possibilities. am i being simply romantic? is there anyone out there who feels the same? i know there are a handful of people who believe in a rebirth, and one thing that the docu brought up was how many people were using the emptying lots for gardening. someone commented on how ironic it would be if detroit became the first city to truly embrace urban agriculture. i mean, it seems like there is no WAY it can ever truly slide off into oblivion. or is it?
i mean i live in los angeles, and i love downtown and parts of the city that have been sort of forgotten or written off. detroit is like an entire skid row. i know i am not like everyone else, but that makes me want to run off and go there now. right now. its like an american pompei.
i would welcome anyone's thoughts or even insults. i am gonna visit detroit as soon as possible. i can't help myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 05:12 PM

1,497 posts, read 3,494,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthouse66 View Post
Hi everybody, i wanted to come and share some of my feelings about this place that i have never even visited, but that is really starting to pull at me. yeah, i know its insane.
i watched a docu not too long ago made by the BBC called "requiem for detroit". it blew my mind. i mean, i have been dreaming about the city since. i have always been a huge stooges fan, motown, etc- and i had long heard from many people who used to live there, including my ex-husband, how decrepit it was. but not until i saw that docu did the full tragedy hit me in the face. i just can't get the place out of my mind.
i can't think of a single other city in north america that is like it. its like an abandoned amusement park. all of american culture meets there. and being a fan of abandoned, decrepit places, there is something really pulling me there.
i know this might have been discussed on other forums at other times- but am i dreaming? is there something magnetic about this city that is going to transform it? a place so unbelievably foresaken is almost BOUND to become another experiment. it excites me to think about the possibilities. am i being simply romantic? is there anyone out there who feels the same? i know there are a handful of people who believe in a rebirth, and one thing that the docu brought up was how many people were using the emptying lots for gardening. someone commented on how ironic it would be if detroit became the first city to truly embrace urban agriculture. i mean, it seems like there is no WAY it can ever truly slide off into oblivion. or is it?
i mean i live in los angeles, and i love downtown and parts of the city that have been sort of forgotten or written off. detroit is like an entire skid row. i know i am not like everyone else, but that makes me want to run off and go there now. right now. its like an american pompei.
i would welcome anyone's thoughts or even insults. i am gonna visit detroit as soon as possible. i can't help myself.
Oh gee, you've caught the bug. Detroit is a fascinating place. You should come here and explore for yourself. I wish more people who lived around Detroit had the same excitement about the city's possibilities that you do. Virtually anything is possible here, and the "pioneers" who are coming here are generally from places like California, New York, or even from overseas. They are not people from Michigan, who generally seem to have written the entire city off. If you like looking at Detroit's ruins, try this. Remember though that not all of the city looks like that. Detroit is 140 square miles. It is geographically massive compared to other U.S. cities, and there plenty of nice districts and neighborhoods, including where I live.

Old 09-16-2010, 05:21 PM

ha, ForStarters, caught the bug indeed. i literally feel like there is nothing i can do about it but go there. its like some kind of sick, wayward wraith that you can't help but stop the car for, knowing full well you are gonna get in over your head, but maybe its all part of the grand plan anyway......

Old 09-16-2010, 05:26 PM

530 posts, read 1,552,631 times
Alms. Alms.

Mayor Bing
City of Detroit
Executive Office
Coleman A. Young Municipal Center
2 Woodward Ave., Ste. 1126
Detroit, MI 48226

Last edited by fmax; 09-16-2010 at 05:28 PM.. Reason: Formatting.

Old 09-16-2010, 05:34 PM

fmax, that was delightfully cryptic. can you fill that in a bit? : )

Old 09-16-2010, 08:07 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,942,924 times
I think that Detroit will draw in somewhat, but the core around downtown will come back. It may be a really neat place to live. I like downtown Detroit a lot although I woudl not live here with kids, I would live here if my kids were grown and out (except that I love where I live now). I am trying to put together some money to buy a couple of houses in Corktown and just rent them out. It has to be money that I can afford to lose long terms becuase you never know what may happen, but houses are so cheap that it is not a huge gamble. There are nicer areas, but they are too expensive. I think that Corktown has a good chance of being a "hot" area if the City retracts and then recovers. Who knows maybe I will end up owning a couple of homes in the middle of one of the coolest places around. (retirment funding!).

Old 09-16-2010, 10:00 PM

coldjensens, the more i read the more fascinated i become. i really think that detroit is something of an indicator of where things are going to go/are going nationwide- but we all know that when the pendulum swings violently to one side, its going to swing in the other direction. its the immutable law of the universe. in that respect, detroit WILL come back. i simply cannot understand how it would be possible that a city so pivotal in american culture could simply slide into the slime. naturally, it is possible, but hope springs eternal.
am definitely going to visit. maybe not in the winter......

Old 09-17-2010, 03:01 AM

132 posts, read 279,826 times
You need to go !!! I loved Detroit on my trip! One of my favorite cities! I'm in San Francisco right now and I hate it. Detroit is unique and amazing!

Old 09-17-2010, 08:31 AM

21,196 posts, read 19,815,199 times
I'm drawn to the city as well, and frequently spend time just driving around looking at the levels of decay (and some preservation and rebuilding, as well). The city is an amazing, unique case study in social and political dysfunction. I ask myself "How can a great city get to this point?", "How can people live here?", and "What must this city have been like back in the day?"

The possibilities for rebirth seem endless, but so much depends on the residents. Many of them don't seem willing to help themselves and/or are determined to victimize others (although there are also many good people, as well). The level of political infighting, incompetence and corruption is despicable.

Just a tip if you do come: I've found that some Detroit residents don't appreciate outsiders coming into their city to look-around and take picture. Apparently there is some suspicion, shame or resentment (not quite sure which). So, be cautious and be respectful, even if conditions don't seem to warrant it. Remember, people do live here.

Old 09-17-2010, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianbeach85 View Post
You need to go !!! I loved Detroit on my trip! One of my favorite cities! I'm in San Francisco right now and I hate it. Detroit is unique and amazing!

wow! really? san francisco and you think detroit is awesome? maybe i am not crazy!!!

and retroit, thank you for that bit of advice. that was one thing i have considered- first off i HATE being, or acting like, a tourist, anywhere i go. i don't want to be one of those rubbernecker types just picking over the remains. i figured when i go to maybe hook up with some urban explorer types who know their way around- or even a paranormal group- i am a member of the Boyle height paranormal project in East LA. (which living on this side of town for a year or so has given me a lesson in hype- because everyone acts like when sunset boulevard turns into cesar chavez that you are gonna get your carjacked or shot immediately- and it ain't true- i LOVE east LA....don't believe what you see on TV...i'm sure you detroit lovers can understand exactly what i am talking about).
i definitely want to carry myself with respect and not be a jerkoff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
View detailed profiles of: