Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2010, 12:53 AM

1,006 posts, read 735,447 times

Advertisements

Saw this documentary: Explorations | Palladium Boots

And I'm really anxious to visit now. REALLY considering moving being that I'm an urbanite and love the quantity of urban industrial lofts available at such reasonable prices. These are very limited in Houston and rent for double what Detroit listings rent for.

Not only that, but I did a quick job search on dice.com for opportunities in my field and yielded 1200+ results. Just seems like Detroit is the perfect blank canvas for a fearless person such as myself to strike out and pursue entrepreneurship.

Not to mention the music scene is still insane!!! Movement Festival looks like fun and I have a ton of friends who DJ there.

Heres to hopefully starting a new life in the D!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2010, 08:15 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Come on up from Houston and see whatz up....There were a few German immigrants who moved into a few urban houses on the east side a few years ago to resurrect the bohemian art scene and develop the C-Pop attitude they belived was taking root in the Cass Corridor (I know this term is not PC, but it is the term I know) Woodward area near the Majestic Cafe. Not sure how that worked out for them?
The New Center area has been rising from the pyre for the last 10 years. You may find Boston-Edison to be just perfect for you. No it is not lofts, but you and about 20 of your closest friends will probably love the roominess of those 5,000 sq ft homes. Lofts are just so confining. And the views are so limited...

Old 09-26-2010, 12:00 PM

1,497 posts, read 3,490,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moddestmike View Post
Saw this documentary: Explorations | Palladium Boots

And I'm really anxious to visit now. REALLY considering moving being that I'm an urbanite and love the quantity of urban industrial lofts available at such reasonable prices. These are very limited in Houston and rent for double what Detroit listings rent for.

Not only that, but I did a quick job search on dice.com for opportunities in my field and yielded 1200+ results. Just seems like Detroit is the perfect blank canvas for a fearless person such as myself to strike out and pursue entrepreneurship.

Not to mention the music scene is still insane!!! Movement Festival looks like fun and I have a ton of friends who DJ there.

Heres to hopefully starting a new life in the D!!!
Get out here already man, and bring 5 friends with you. That's the rule.

Old 09-26-2010, 06:51 PM

364 posts, read 877,803 times
Great to hear, come on up to the Motor City!

Old 09-26-2010, 08:20 PM

1,006 posts, read 735,447 times
Working on it fellas, can anyone point me to any websites with MLS searches for lofts for sale or rent. Preferable ones with mom and pop shops and cafes around. I don't fear an area thats a bit run down as I've been to Brooklyn, LA and Oakland without issue. Just looking for something unique and within the heart of the city. I could do the burbs but only if there were social suburbs with eateries and entertainment within walking distance or short driving distance. I mainly just need to stay entertained as I get bored REALLY easily.

Old 09-28-2010, 03:19 PM

7 posts, read 15,519 times
Quote:
Working on it fellas, can anyone point me to any websites with MLS searches for lofts for sale or rent. Preferable ones with mom and pop shops and cafes around. I don't fear an area thats a bit run down as I've been to Brooklyn, LA and Oakland without issue. Just looking for something unique and within the heart of the city. I could do the burbs but only if there were social suburbs with eateries and entertainment within walking distance or short driving distance. I mainly just need to stay entertained as I get bored REALLY easily.

Try detroitmidtown.com for the University Cultural Center Association's listing of housing in Midtown, which is one of the best neighborhood to live in Detroit.

Don't live in the suburbs, not matter what people tell you, they aren't worth living in, ESPECIALLY as an outsider. People here treat the "hip" suburbs (an oxymoron, i know) of Royal Oak and Ferndale as meccas of urbanism, like Soho or the Village or something, when they are really just a few square blocks of overpriced crap. You will certainly get bored there. Move to the heart of the city-- Midtown, Woodbridge, Corktown, Eastern Market, Downtown, Mexicantown are all great. And if you are adventerous and self-motivated and productive, you will DEFIANTLY not have a hard time to find things to do, or have a hard time getting connected into a vibrant community of creative-types who are all interested in building up the a battered, yet still great city.

Old 09-29-2010, 06:15 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,352,921 times
dude, i sympathize, i saw a doc called "requiem for detroit" and posted a thread very much like your own a few weeks ago. cannot get the place out of my head. sounds like you are a bit of a contrarian- like me- who would take a perverse pleasure in moving to what SEEMS like such a forsaken place, and making it your own. you are definitely not alone in your fascination. you must tell us how it goes if you move!!!!!!

Old 10-01-2010, 11:39 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
Brooklyn is actually a beautiful place with mom and pop shops and cafes pretty much as far as the eye can see. Ideal neighborhoods, in my opinion, despite its reputation.

Detroit is much more car-oriented...but since you are coming from Houston...and that is equally car-dependent...it'll be more like that, I would think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit