Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2010, 10:52 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,483,506 times

Advertisements

How is the area? Although the city is supposedly very safe, it starts to look a bit sketchy south of Big Beaver

(Used to live in the vicinity in the 1990s.. now living out of state.. friend wants to move to that area since the rents are cheaper)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 07:38 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,905,898 times
Some of the houses not in subdivisions are getting pretty old. Some are well taken care of, some not. Southern Troy apartments often aren't that nice, there's a place that's advertised in the back of the Metro Times (can't remember the name but a friend of a friend lived there) that's pretty cheap and has a very convenient location. The apartments around Somerset are still quite nice. Troy is still quite safe for the most part, possibly excepting the mall parking lots (Oakland feels a bit iffy at night and supposedly has car thefts and I've been watched in the Somerset lot), but there is theft and property crime in the neighborhoods as there is still stuff to steal in the area and well-off kids with cars and nothing better to do. On the whole, still a pretty good place to be. Apartments in Clawson (immediately to the south and west) also can go either way quality-wise.

Old 10-09-2010, 06:23 PM

970 posts, read 2,968,416 times
South Troy is fine crime-wise. Its just pretty ugly.

The area is dominated by light and heavy industry, sprawling apartment complexes, and small homes that aren't maintained as well as homes in the northern section. If you drive around, you'll see some boarded up buildings. I was just in south Troy earlier today. There's a few blighted structures on the Rochester Rd. Corridor. However, none of them were vandalized or anything.

It struck me as an area where there would be a little crime here and there, but nothing serious. Like, a group of kids stealing things from RiteAid. Something along those lines. So, basically, while its far from visually appealing, south Troy seems to be a decent area, but there's no way of knowing how it's going to be in 5 years.

Last edited by Remisc; 10-09-2010 at 06:50 PM..

Old 10-11-2010, 04:58 PM

266 posts, read 853,202 times
Malls are always an easy target for thieves so I don't think it's a reflection of the city overall. I always feel quite safe in Troy, though perhaps a bit bored and uninspired. Royal Oak & Ferndale are more my speed!

Don't get me wrong though, I shop in Troy all the time. Not just the wondrous fun of Somerset but that Kroger on Coolidge just south of Maple is the best one ever, IMHO. That plaza also has quite a nice Target, Home Depot, Old Navy, Michael's, and Five Guys Burgers & Fries ftw!

Old 10-12-2010, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanniepep View Post
Malls are always an easy target for thieves so I don't think it's a reflection of the city overall. I always feel quite safe in Troy, though perhaps a bit bored and uninspired. Royal Oak & Ferndale are more my speed!

Don't get me wrong though, I shop in Troy all the time. Not just the wondrous fun of Somerset but that Kroger on Coolidge just south of Maple is the best one ever, IMHO. That plaza also has quite a nice Target, Home Depot, Old Navy, Michael's, and Five Guys Burgers & Fries ftw!
That Kroger's nice, but go check out the ones further down Maple...at Woodward and at Lahser. Those are nicer still. I go into them every once in a while and that's quite a drive for me...I almost never go into my local Kroger; the only good thing about it is that it's open until 1. I used to go to that Target a lot back when it was new.

Old 10-12-2010, 05:28 PM

266 posts, read 853,202 times
Those are specialty markets that are owned by Kroger and a lot more expensive, especially the one on Lahser. The one on Coolidge actually has better deals than the crappy one in Hazel Park, about 5 min from my house!

My uncle recently turned me on to the Meijer at 13 & Dequindre which is pretty great, and I love the brand new Target at 12 & Dequindre. It's so funny how the exact same store can be so different just a few miles away!

Old 10-12-2010, 06:08 PM

Yeah, the one on Lahser has pricey, but the sale stuff is the same, assuming they have it (they usually do). As for stores being different, my local Target isn't all that nice (14/Gratiot), either. If I'm by myself I usually end up at Eastland (very nice for the area), otherwise we often go to Allen Park (really cool shopping area by 94/Southfield), or 16/Dequindre. I'm disappointed that the Universal Mall Target isn't a Super; early reports said it was going to be. Meijer is fun in the middle of the night but they're just too busy the rest of the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit