Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 07:40 AM

1,497 posts, read 3,490,917 times

Advertisements

http://www.modeldmedia.com/startupnews/accutechinternational111610.aspx

AccuTech International, which does IT and software work for other companies plans to bring its office downtown to the Ford Building.

http://www.modeldmedia.com/startupnews/galaxesolutions111610.aspx

IC Data Communications, which focuses on IT services is expanding its presence in TechTown. The company plans to add 5 more employees to its roster.

Also, according to ModelD, GalaxE Solutions plans to continue expanding its presence in 1001 Woodward, adding 500 more employees over the next 5 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 09:34 AM

Talking Slow's Take Out Opens December 13th!

Just thought I'd share this:

Slows to Go opens Monday...finally - Crain's Detroit Business - Detroit News and Information

The take-out location is at Alexandria St. and Cass in Midtown, right over by the Old Miami: Detroit - Google Maps

At last, I won't have to sit through that (occasionally insufferable ) long line to satisfy my SLOW'S BBQ fix.

Old 12-16-2010, 09:40 PM

Talking WahHoo Chinese Cocktail & Sushi Now Open Downtown

I've been waiting for a place like this to open up downtown, and now it finally has. My girl and I had the pleasure of dining there after work yesterday and it was great. They offer both a full sushi menu and a full Chinese cuisine menu, as well as a respectable list of drinks. I went for the General Tso's Chicken, while the lady opted for a plate of California rolls and a green bean appetizer. Food and service were great and the prices were decent. I paid $10.50 for a full entree, i.e. meal plus rice, and there were cheaper options on the menu. This would be a great place for lunch if you work in the CBD. Atmosphere is chic but not overdone, and there's ample seating. Oh yeah, THEY DELIVER!

Wah Hoo is located on the corner of Congress and Shelby (entrance is on Shelby side): http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=&rlz=...ed=0CBcQnwIwAA

Here's their FB page w/ pictures: Wah-Hoo....Chinese, Sushi & Cocktails | Facebook

Old 12-22-2010, 07:38 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,762,019 times
All that empty office space is a serious carrot to dangle in front of people thinking about where to locate a business. Rents are never going to be lower or easier to haggle down.

Old 12-27-2010, 11:37 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,394,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForStarters View Post
In fact, almost all of those places are easily walkable from the RenCen:

Sweetwater (2 blocks from RenCen up Brush)- a fantastic place to eat lunch with a full menu, especially if you like southern cooked stuff like ribs, bbq chicken, etc. You definitely won't spend more than $15 and there's almost always an open table except during game times. This place is pretty famous, I'm surprised you've never been.

Jacoby's (2.5 blocks from RenCen up Brush)- a German bar with a full menu and some authentic German cuisine a la suasage platters and stuff. You also won't spend more than $15. I'm a regular here, the staff is very friendly. My g/f loves their deep-fried mushrooms.

Greenwich Time (in Cadillac Square in that "triangle shaped" building < 4 minute walk from RenCen)- Basically a bar with a limited menu, but this place is cheap. A burger and fries is under $5 and the owner is great, his name is Mike. Usually not crowed but I normally don't go at lunch time. A lot of people who work in Comerica Tower eat here.

Checker (right next door to Greenwich Time in Cadillac Square)- A slightly better menu than Greenwich, and everything is home cooked. Seriously, they'll tell you that. A very friendly place owned by two sisters whose parents owned the bar before them. I don't see how you can spend more than $10 eating lunch in this place.

Motown Grille (across Cadillac Square in the Cadillac Building)- Basically everything a greek coney island menu has. Gyros, salads, eggs, burgers, coney dogs, chicken fingers, etc. It is as cheap as you would expect.

Detroiter (in Bricktown across from Nikki's Pizza < 5 minute walk)- A full bar-style menu with decent food. This will not cost you more than $15 dollars for lunch unless you include 2-3 beers! Be warned, there's a few cute bartenders.

Nathan's Deli (literally across Jefferson from the RenCen next to UDM Law)- A basic deli sandwich place with soup and salad. It is pretty good but prices are a little higher than I'd like, i.e. $8-10 for a sandwich combo. Usually not crowded but gets busy around lunch with students.

Anton's (across the skywalk from the RenCen in the Millender Center)- Basically it's a restaurant that serves basic lunchtime food. It has sandwiches, soups and salads, breakfast stuff, chicken fingers, etc. Prices are good, but this place can get crowded.

Lunchtime Global (on Congress in First National Bldg < 6 minute walk from RenCen)- I've never eaten here but it looks like they have a healthy buffet of salads and sandwiches. Very clean looking. Not sure about prices.

Foran's aka Grand Trunk (on the corner of Congress and Woodward < 7 minute walk from RenCen)- This place has a pretty solid bar menu. They also recently expanded so they have plenty of seating. I think their barfood is some of the best in the city, but that's me. Reasonably priced and the place has a lot of charm, as it used to be an old train station.

Orchid Thai (on Monroe down from Hard Rock and JJ's off Campus Martius < 8 minute walk from RenCen)- I think this place has good thai food. Portions are more than generous and prices are $8.50 or so for a full dish. I live for their drunken noodles. They also give you those multi-colored chip things that look like their made of foam, which I usually devour a basket of every time.

Cliff Bell's (on Park Ave. near Grand Circus Park 15 minute walk from RenCen)- This place is a sit down lunch and is a little bit pricey. You pay for the atmosphere for sure, as it is a renovated 1930's jazz club. Parking is usually available on Park Ave. It also right next door to Bucharest. I recommend Cliff Bell's mac 'n cheese.

Rub 'n Pub (off Woodward in Grand Circus Park 15 minute walk from RenCen)- This place opened over the summer and is a BBQ joint. I've never eaten there but it looks good.

Oslo Sushi (on lower Woodward < 15 minute walk from RenCen)- A basic sushi place. I've eaten there a few times. Prices are not bad for a Sushi joint, but seating is limited. Not very accomodating of larger groups. I'm not sure how crowded it gets during lunch.

Vicente (over by Skillman Branch library in downtown < 15 minute walk from RenCen)- Cuban food on the menu but I've never eaten here, only had the Sangria, and that was fantastic. You might spend $15 bucks, I didn't get a good look at prices.

Cobo Joe's (over by Cobo Hall on Congress)- Not sure what's on the menu, but it's a bar so I'd expect bar food.

Caucus Club (in the Penobscot)- Classy place with classy menu. I've never eaten there but I would guess that it's pricey.

Coach's Corner (by Harmonie Park aka Paradise Valley, between Comerica and DAC)- basically a sports bar with bar food. It's basically what you'd expect for a sports bar. Food is okay.

Bookie's (on Cass at Montcalm behind the Fox)- I think it has a great menu, and there is usually parking on cass. I think you'll spend around $15 or less depending on what you order. Food is good, place is relatively new. It used to be in Book Building, hence the name. Parking is free on Cass. They are waiting for the new stadium to be built. Bookie's also does trivia on Tuesday nights if that's something you're interested in. I always come soo close to winning!

Well, I'm pretty impressed with all of the places to eat in downtown Detroit. I worked in downtown Ann Arbor for several years and didn't have this many options. I mean, I live and work in Detroit and I still haven't been able to patronize all of them. It's actually quite overwhelming how much stuff there is to eat around here. I tend to find that the excess of options is what makes it hard for me to decide on where to go. Try those places I gave you, and if you're palate is still unsatisfied, we can talk about doing lunch.

Sweetwater wings are the best! lol I had to point that out. Been eating there as far as I can remember and the food is still very good
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit