Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 11:56 AM

13 posts, read 37,524 times

Advertisements

Having never been to this area of the country we need some information about the Canton area. I see that all the high schools are located in one area sounds like a good idea any thoughts.

Is the area a good area for a family youngest child is in the 8th grade so no little kids.

How is the housing in the area we would be looking to rent when we first move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 03:58 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Just be sure that you are in the Plymouth Canton school district.

Old 10-05-2010, 11:31 AM

36 posts, read 63,645 times
I live in the Canton area and graduated from the high school in 2006. The community has grown a lot, especially with the addition of the IKEA store (I believe the next closest IKEA in in the Chicagoland area).

Canton is one of the safest areas in the country. That being said I think it is a great place to grow-up. In Canton you can live in a rural type area (still just minutes away from grocery's and such) or close to the hussle and bussle of Ford Rd. Most of the crime problems (thefts) I find are near the boarder of Westland, simply because the freeway is right there for a close getaway. That being said I do see a higher law enforcement presence there.

The school system is great in my opinion. The high school had 6,000 students when I attended and it really prepared me well for college. Most of my friends went to Mich State or Michigan (I attended E. Mich) so while sometimes the courses were demanding, it made college intro courses very easy. You also can take a whole bunch of courses since your classes can be held in any of the 3 schools. I took cooking to racquetball to band and there was still much more (such as the radio station & video editing). There are also 30+ clubs and orgs and the student body is very diverse.

In addition to Canton, you could also live in Plymouth. Hopefully I provided you with a little more help!

Old 02-15-2011, 01:43 AM

10 posts, read 24,593 times
Default information on apartments, Canton MI

I will be relocating to the area soon. Must live within 20 minutes of Willow Run Airport. Any ideas on affordable apartments that are safe for a single lady? Is it best to look in Canton, Belleville, Ypsilanti....Ideas on which ones to avoid and which ones to cosider? Any information would be appreciated!

Old 02-15-2011, 09:13 AM

89 posts, read 258,757 times
I lived in a nice apartment complex called Carriage Cove. The 2 br apartments were HUGE - almost 1100sf. I think they have 1br apartments, too. Good management, great location, quiet and of course safe (basically all of Canton is as safe as any nice suburb of any major city).

There are quite a few rental apartments available in Canton. This is pretty close to Willow Run, and also is near key freeways to get you to downtown Detroit, Ann Arbor, or other areas of interest.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:13 PM

Default thank you for response

I appreciate your response, it is most helpful. I did not see Carriage Cove when I was looking on the internet. I will see if I can find it. Anything else you can tell me about Canton and the area? Thanks again.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:08 PM

Good suburban community, very good schools (if in Plymouth-Canton district). Basically, stay north of Ford Road and you're in the nicer part of town, although they've done a lot of development in the Cherry Hill area (but rents are a little higher for the newer construction). You're close to all of the freeways that take you everywhere else you might want to go. The only reason I left was to buy a house, and I couldn't quite afford as much house in Canton as I could in Farmington Hills (shocking to me, but there is a wider range of houses available in Farmington/FH, though apartment rents are higher here).

Old 02-15-2011, 08:12 PM

I am very restricted because of the requirement that I live within 20 minutes of Willow Run Airport. How does Canton compare to Ypsilanti or Belleville?

Old 02-15-2011, 10:07 PM

Canton is much, much nicer. There are some cool, sorta funky parts of Ypsi, but there also are some less-than-desirable areas. Belleville apartments aren't very good, as far as I've seen. As for amenities and safety, Canton is nicer than the other two cities. Rents might be a little cheaper in Belleville and Ypsi than in Canton.

You can get to Willow Run in 20 minutes from probably anywhere in Canton. Well, if there is a blizzard, you won't... but the same goes for Ypsi.

If you care about public schools, Ply-Canton district is far superior to the districts that cover Ypsi and Belleville.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:32 PM

Default thanks again

Your comments are most helpful! The apartment complex that was recommended won't work for me because I have a cat, with claws. Any info on particular apartment complexes in Canton? Need 2 bedroom, washer dryer hookup preferred, kitty friendly, would love a garage or covered parking if that fits into my budget...no children, schools won't matter, but would like a quiet, safe place, with as short of a drive to the airport as possible to allow for bad weather and traffic. Canton Garden Apartments, Fairway Club Apartments, Autumn Ridge. Info on any of these? Safety is a top concern. Thanks so much!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit