U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2010, 12:19 PM

308 posts, read 390,588 times

Advertisements

About 6 years ago I lived in Detroit for a few months while on a project. I had an apartment in Trenton and really liked the downriver area (especially Wyandotte) quite a bit. I haven't been back in a while though I am contemplating a possible move back there provided I can find a job. How is the downriver area looking these days and would it be a good place for a mid 30s single white male to live?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2010, 12:48 PM

28,921 posts, read 68,889,584 times
Wyandotte is probably your best bet. It has a nice lively downtown. Several entertaining bars. Great housing stock. A first rate hospital and plenty of nearby shopping. Access to Downtown Detroit for events, clubs etc, is very good. They have marginal schools, but that should not matter to you. I would probably avoid living on the Ecorse side of Wyandotte, but even there, the places along the waterfront are pretty nice. Mostly, I would want to live in walking distance of downtown and if I could, live on the water. They also have a really nice rowing club. Even if you are not into rowing right now, it might be a great thing to try.

Trenton is a neat place as well. Not so much going on downtown, but it is probably a bit safer (I would nto call Wyandotte dangerous, but I think that Trenton is probably a step up on the safety/crime scale). Trenton is simlar to Wyandotte but in a smaller way and more family oriented. I would love to live in any of those houses that are wedged between Elizabeth Park and downtown. (Except I would get really fat being that close to the frozen custard place). Elizabeth Park is a very nice County park. If you are in the downtown Trenton area, it is a short trip to downtown Wyandotte.

You may also like Gibraltar where you may find something on the water that you can afford. It is not real exciting, but it is pretty inexpensive.

Woodhaven, Riverview, Southgate are all quite nice, but rather bland. Just typical suburbs with nothing special to offer. But they are nice.

Grosse Ile is a really neat place to live, but it is very oriented to families and retirees. There are 20 or 30 something singles who live here and love it, but it is not the typical place for such people. It is quiet and very natural (deer wander down the streets at dusk, geese, coyotes, foxes, bald eagles etc can be found at times). Lots of woods. Great biike trails. Loads of water access (it is a bunch of islands after all). However there is essentially no night life (Two or three bars, a couple with bands on Fridays, but not real exciting for a single 20-30 y.o.). If you are into bike riding, boating, golf gardening, and the like, this could be a place for you. Not a place for someone looking for a semi-urban place with nightlife. Expensive too (but worth it). It is a short hop to downtown Wyandotte from Grosse Ile, but you would not want ot be dirving in Grosse Ile after going to a bar. They are very strict about speed limits and drunk driving.

Allen Park is Ok. Not real exciting. Not real nice, but not terrible. Lincoln Park is spotty. Parts ok parts not to much. Melvindale is not very nice. Taylor is very blue collar middle class. Very suburbia (no downtown) Often referred to as Taylortucky with some jusificaiton (mostly because of conditions 20 years ago, but there is still some basis for the slur).

We do not venture much into Flat Rock or whatever else is inland and down towards Monroe. Flat Rock has a very nice community center with a great pool.

Every place in the area is feeling the pinch of the decline of the big three, but it is not like you look around and see closed stores or abandoned houses all over the place. In fact, Woodhaven, where we usually go for shopping or chain dining, has added quite a few new places during the recession. A few places in Wyandotte have closed up, but a few new ones have opened. It is still a neat small city.

Last edited by Coldjensens; 10-05-2010 at 01:06 PM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit