Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 05:30 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,183,871 times

Advertisements

How on earth does a large, middle class suburb entirely shut down it's library!!!

Voters Resurrect County Library in Oregon, Deep-Six Service for Michigan Town | American Libraries Magazine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 05:41 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,822,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
How on earth does a large, middle class suburb entirely shut down it's library!!!

Voters Resurrect County Library in Oregon, Deep-Six Service for Michigan Town | American Libraries Magazine

You lose all credibility when your audience recognizes your hyperbole.

"However, Troy, Michigan, library’s second levy in less than a year was defeated by 689 votes, triggering preparations to shut down the entire system next summer"

Do you have any idea the money that exists in Troy? There may be a tax showdown coming but Troy is not shutting down it's library system.

My guess is that you're one of the librarians to be laid off as a result of spending cuts and you're trying to gin up support to keep your job. Welcome to the private sector.

Old 11-10-2010, 05:57 PM

98 posts, read 181,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post

You haven`t seen the area around it...Almost everything is shutting off.It has gotten very very bad.Neighbourhoods and courts looking like war zones.Welcome to Iraq instead of Michigan
Perhaps this extends to New Jersey and New York too...The library of Troy isn`t a library to begin with,but it still it has to pay to operate.I am going to try two more libraries,but i am skeptical...

Old 11-10-2010, 06:00 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,183,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Homogenizer View Post
You lose all credibility when your audience recognizes your hyperbole.

"However, Troy, Michigan, library’s second levy in less than a year was defeated by 689 votes, triggering preparations to shut down the entire system next summer"

Do you have any idea the money that exists in Troy? There may be a tax showdown coming but Troy is not shutting down it's library system.

My guess is that you're one of the librarians to be laid off as a result of spending cuts and you're trying to gin up support to keep your job. Welcome to the private sector.
Let's see, if I did work for the Troy library, then I probably would know how much money is in Troy, wouldn't I? I don't even live in Michigan, as you might guess after a moment's reflection. I do care about libraries, though, as well as Midwest/Rust Belt cities.

Also, it's not my hyperbole. The Troy library has said they are beginning preparations to shut down next year. Hopefully the funding issues are resolved by then.

So let me rephrase my question a bit. How does a large middle class suburb get to a point where they need to consider shutting down the library? It does sound like they cut all Saturday hours. How do they allow that to happen?

Old 11-10-2010, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pifler View Post
You haven`t seen the area around it...Almost everything is shutting off.It has gotten very very bad.Neighbourhoods and courts looking like war zones.Welcome to Iraq instead of Michigan
Perhaps this extends to New Jersey and New York too...The library of Troy isn`t a library to begin with,but it still it has to pay to operate.I am going to try two more libraries,but i am skeptical...
LOL. Yeah Oakland County is scary.

Old 11-10-2010, 06:22 PM

98 posts, read 181,180 times
Moderator cut: personal attack.There is a lot of people that dont live down here and give false information in this forum.These people could be real estate agents and some such with tied interests to this dead place.They are broadcasting that Metro Detroit and Michigan are expanding.Reality speaks otherwise.Hotels are shutting off besides restaurants and thats the last league of businesses to shut down.This is Michigan and it has been that way for at least a decade,but now it is probably going to die completely.My guess is that next it will be hospitals.Citizens will be forced to buy books as libraries only exist in as the word is good as and they will have to have their own computer and internet.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qIGjUAB6Z1A?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qIGjUAB6Z1A?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Last edited by Yac; 11-15-2010 at 02:59 AM..

Old 11-10-2010, 06:36 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,906,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pifler View Post
Moderator cut: personal attack.There is a lot of people that dont live down here and give false information in this forum.These people could be real estate agents and some such with tied interests to this dead place.They are broadcasting that Metro Detroit and Michigan are expanding.Reality speaks otherwise.Hotels are shutting off besides restaurants and thats the last league of businesses to shut down.This is Michigan and it has been that way for at least a decade,but now it is probably going to die completely.My guess is that next it will be hospitals.Citizens will be forced to buy books as libraries only exist in as the word is good as and they will have to have their own computer and internet.
There is much truth to what you say...I'll agree with you that southeast Michigan is a bit gangrenous, but Troy is still a good place.

As for the library, my township (Harrison) did not have a library when I moved there in 2004. Don't get me wrong, I love a good library, but I'm a taxpayer first and foremost, and it was refreshing to not have to pay for a library. The township has a library now, but it's a pathetic (but improving) operation and it's not taxpayer supported and is not part of the library cooperative. Perhaps it is possible that the citizens of Troy simply do not wish to pay any more in taxes to support a library they don't go into all that often.

Last edited by Yac; 11-15-2010 at 02:59 AM..

Old 11-10-2010, 07:06 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,002,850 times
I love people who ***** about minuscule tax increases. Harper Woods passed a library tax milage. It is a 0.4 increase. My taxes literally went up $20 for the entire year. I don't know how I'll get buy without that $20. To me it seems like a good investment. For $20 I can only buy 2 books at the most. With this milage I can read as many books as I want for $20. Seems like a good deal to me.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scolls View Post
I love people who ***** about minuscule tax increases. Harper Woods passed a library tax milage. It is a 0.4 increase. My taxes literally went up $20 for the entire year. I don't know how I'll get buy without that $20. To me it seems like a good investment. For $20 I can only buy 2 books at the most. With this milage I can read as many books as I want for $20. Seems like a good deal to me.
As a matter of fact, the argument against the tax increase was that the members of WOLF have little need for much more stock. The libraries had been funded for rapid acquisitions. Now, since acquisitions have slowed due to lack of necessity, the beauracracy was attempting to siphon acquisition funds into labor costs. However, with the reduction in population came a reduction in patrons and there was no need for the current labor pool.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:57 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,906,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolls View Post
That $20 is 1.5% of my $1300 annual tax bill for something I know I won't use all that often (though I like to think I would). For you in Harper Woods (where you have a pretty good library, I hear) where the tax bill is probably double or more $20's a much smaller drop in the bucket. I know SEV has some to do with the actual dollar amount but my place's SEV is a slightly overvalued $43K and I don't know yours.

As for buying $20 worth in books, check out Bookstock, held every year in Livonia at Laurel Park Place. It's not as good as it used to be but $20 goes far there.

PS If you think I'm cranky about the library tax, don't get me started about the SMART bus tax, the ripoff car rental tax every time I go to Vegas, or the school tax for a school I'll never use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit