Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe that forced busing killed Detroit?
Yes 27 23.08%
No 90 76.92%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 01:06 PM

93,189 posts, read 123,783,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Then Detroit should have tried that. I still do not believe school busing killed Detroit. Detroit was declining, but what hurt Detroit economically was its dependence on the auto industry.
I agree that the heavy reliance on the auto industry hurt them too. I think all of the other issues were magnified on top of that and kind of made it the "perfect storm" for a downfall.

Old 04-25-2009, 09:50 AM

186 posts, read 587,822 times
There are many thingst hat led to White Flight from Detroit but perhaps the most important factor was the 67 Twelth Street Riots.

Old 04-30-2009, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsbury Road View Post
There are many thingst hat led to White Flight from Detroit but perhaps the most important factor was the 67 Twelth Street Riots.
Which people do not know, was the 3rd major riot in Detroit(1863, 1943 and that one) and it included Blacks and Whites in the rioting. There was one in 1941 too. Here's interesting information about the 1943 riot:The American Experience | Eleanor Roosevelt | People & Events | Detroit Race Riots 1943

Old 04-30-2009, 02:52 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Which people do not know, was the 3rd major riot in Detroit(1863, 1943 and that one) and it included Blacks and Whites in the rioting. There was one in 1941 too. Here's interesting information about the 1943 riot:The American Experience | Eleanor Roosevelt | People & Events | Detroit Race Riots 1943
I didn't know there were troops in Detroit for six months. Ironic that at a time of war, when the nation as a whole was supposed to be coming together, a time when race should mean nothing to anyone the most, people were at each others throats on the basis of race, and at the same time, it isn't so ironic. Hypocricy is a sad trait of human nature and in 1943, Detroit had to deal with its own. I think about it and I feel very upset that this nation hasn't always lived up to what it preaches. It was suppose to be a bastion for democracy, and yet certain citizens didn't have rights just because the color of their skin was different. Detroit was suppose to be the "arsenal of democracy" and yet workers hated each other on the basis of race. People were fighting one another on the basis of race when they should have been fighting the enemies of democracy.

Old 04-30-2009, 04:39 PM

Quote:
I didn't know there were troops in Detroit for six months. Ironic that at a time of war, when the nation as a whole was supposed to be coming together, a time when race should mean nothing to anyone the most, people were at each others throats on the basis of race, and at the same time, it isn't so ironic. Hypocricy is a sad trait of human nature and in 1943, Detroit had to deal with its own. I think about it and I feel very upset that this nation hasn't always lived up to what it preaches. It was suppose to be a bastion for democracy, and yet certain citizens didn't have rights just because the color of their skin was different. Detroit was suppose to be the "arsenal of democracy" and yet workers hated each other on the basis of race. People were fighting one another on the basis of race when they should have been fighting the enemies of democracy.
Sad, but true....That's why I find it interesting when people say it was just the 1967 riots, there is more to this than just those riots.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:47 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
The riots of '67 destroyed the city. From that point on it was leave if you have the money, car, or family outside of Detroit to go to. Many people spent days shuttling relatives out of the city into the burbs during the riot.

I know my parents never went back into Detroit. And they had family who lived there since the late 1800s.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:52 AM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
The riots of '67 destroyed the city. From that point on it was leave if you have the money, car, or family outside of Detroit to go to. Many people spent days shuttling relatives out of the city into the burbs during the riot.

I know my parents never went back into Detroit. And they had family who lived there since the late 1800s.
The riots were the straw that broke the camel's back. Detroit was having problems before that. What happened in 1967 just sped everything along.

Old 05-03-2009, 01:54 PM

Quote:
The riots were the straw that broke the camel's back. Detroit was having problems before that. What happened in 1967 just sped everything along.
Exactly.....Rioting in Detroit wasn't anything new. So, the riot in 1967 just accelerated something that was inevitable due to basically the sole industry that indirectly caused many of these riots

Old 05-03-2009, 02:59 PM

282 posts, read 814,400 times
How did you reach that conclusion?

Old 05-04-2009, 07:51 AM

4,050 posts, read 3,958,313 times
Quote:

A very insightful observation.

Unfortunately southern racism and jim crow followed many whites, so although we were a Northern city, in terms of racial attitudes we were still in the deep south.

I don't blame all whites because many times they simply believed what they heard on the radio or read in the papers, which many times profitted from the strife between the races.

Both races showed the best and worst of humanty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit