Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe that forced busing killed Detroit?
Yes 27 23.08%
No 90 76.92%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 05:45 PM

73,007 posts, read 62,598,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxine3 View Post
Coleman Young + racist - Google Search

And, no, I don't believe EVERYTHING I read.
I went to your google search. I have a variety of sources stating different things. One source states that he told criminals to hit 8 mile road.

Coleman Young did believe whites were leaving Detroit to get away from blacks. If it wasn't the case, then he was ignorant. If it was the case, then he was telling the truth.
I watched a youtube video in the sources you gave in the google search. He was in fact a polarizer at a time when people needed someone to bring people together. What I want to know from YOUR experience is what did Young do in his policies to make you think of him as a racist. I am not coming up with much in the google search. All I find is stuff about his biography. If you wanted me to look for something according to the white perspective, the only sources I could find came from stormfront and freerepublic. Other than that, I am still not finding much. I need to know from YOUR experience the policies he set.

Old 10-03-2009, 05:57 PM

93,307 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Detroit was too dependant on one industry, didn't diversify it's economy enough, has always been divisive and plenty of riots prove that going back to 1863 and White/economic flight didn't help. It still manages to be the 11th biggest city in the US somehow.

Old 10-03-2009, 06:03 PM

282 posts, read 814,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I went to your google search. I have a variety of sources stating different things. One source states that he told criminals to hit 8 mile road.

Coleman Young did believe whites were leaving Detroit to get away from blacks. If it wasn't the case, then he was ignorant. If it was the case, then he was telling the truth.
I watched a youtube video in the sources you gave in the google search. He was in fact a polarizer at a time when people needed someone to bring people together. What I want to know from YOUR experience is what did Young do in his policies to make you think of him as a racist. I am not coming up with much in the google search. All I find is stuff about his biography. If you wanted me to look for something according to the white perspective, the only sources I could find came from stormfront and freerepublic. Other than that, I am still not finding much. I need to know from YOUR experience the policies he set.
1. Is your school paper due Monday.
2. Are you writing a book.
3. Are you the ghost of Coleman Young.
Troll....

Old 10-03-2009, 07:04 PM

Quote:
1. Is your school paper due Monday.
2. Are you writing a book.
3. Are you the ghost of Coleman Young.
Troll....
Neither of the three. I see stuff going around about Coleman Young suggesting that he was a racist. I don't see much information to back it up. I need cold hard facts.

Old 10-03-2009, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Neither of the three. I see stuff going around about Coleman Young suggesting that he was a racist. I don't see much information to back it up. I need cold hard facts.
He blistered white police officers who lived in the suburbs, saying they were like an "army of occupation" and charging: "They don't give a damn about the city. They come in and kick some ass and go back" to their suburban homes. Young suspended police living outside the city, demoted others, promoted a large number of African Americans through use of the quota system, recruited women and minorities for police work, and disbanded STRESS.

Coleman Young: Biography from Answers.com

Just when you thought CY was a dead issue along comes Jr.
http://004.housedems.com/
Stay tuned.

Last edited by Maxine3; 10-03-2009 at 09:25 PM..

Old 10-03-2009, 09:25 PM

Quote:
He blistered white police officers who lived in the suburbs, saying they were like an "army of occupation" and charging: "They don't give a damn about the city. They come in and kick some ass and go back" to their suburban homes. Young suspended police living outside the city, demoted others, promoted a large number of African Americans through use of the quota system, recruited women and minorities for police work, and disbanded STRESS.

Coleman Young: Biography from Answers.com
He disbanded STRESS because of police brutality. Okay, suspending policemen for living outside of the city, I'll level with you there. That was wrong. I do believe that STRESS unit was corrupt with the police brutality.

Old 10-03-2009, 09:40 PM

Quote:
He disbanded STRESS because of police brutality. Okay, suspending policemen for living outside of the city, I'll level with you there. That was wrong. I do believe that STRESS unit was corrupt with the police brutality.
And,
"demoted others, promoted a large number of African Americans through use of the quota system, recruited women and minorities for police work."

"He disbanded STRESS because of police brutality."
CY's opinion.

I don't care to discuss CY any further as I have no interest in the subect.

Please see my edited post above your last.

Have a nice life, one day at a time.
I hope you find your Mayberry

Old 10-03-2009, 10:05 PM

Quote:
And,
"demoted others, promoted a large number of African Americans through use of the quota system, recruited women and minorities for police work."

"He disbanded STRESS because of police brutality."
CY's opinion.

I don't care to discuss CY any further as I have no interest in the subect.

Please see my edited post above your last.

Have a nice life, one day at a time.
I hope you find your Mayberry
Coleman was very blunt and said what he felt. I agree that suspending officers for not living in the city is very wrong.

I think Coleman should have done it this way: Fire the officers accused of police brutality. Anyone who was doing their job the right way should stay. At that time, Detroit had a severe police brutality problem. In many cases, officers coming from other areas didn't care about the citizenry.

I will let the CY discussion end here.

I hope I do find a better place. For now I will continue to try to have a nice life where I am now.

Old 10-18-2009, 10:02 AM

30 posts, read 107,323 times
As a life time resident of Detroit, 58 years. I think it is a combination of Politics and the average citizen.
I have traveled from one corner of this country to the other in my life and nowhere have I ever seen so many people that think they have some sort of entitlement as the people of Detroit. Everything for nothing.
I was born and raised in the 48209 zip code which is part of the Southwest section of the city. Married and later bought a nice home in the 48228 zip code which is in the Northwest section, also known as Warrendale. Have lived here for 35 years now.
Over the past 7 yaers or so The place I call home has turned into a dump. Every street between Evergreen and Southfeild Fwy. has at least one burned out house or a vacant lot where a nice home once stood. Now I can't wait to get out!.
You can call me a racist, you can call me prejudice if you like, nothing would be further from the truth. I have a black son-in-law and 3 mixed grandchildren and I love each and everyone of them dearly. I also have some really great black neighbors, but this is not the norm. I have been to parts of this country where Blacks and Whites live together and get along very well, this is not so true in Detroit. I have no problem living with any decent hard working human being, but regrettably that is on longer the case. There seems to be no pride in neighborhood anymore.
I still have one of the nicest homes in Warrendale, and for all of the hard work,time and money we have invested in our home over the years my wife and I now have the privilege of looking out our front window at a driveway full of garbage across the street, an overrun vacant lot and a burned out house that has been standing like that for the past 6/7 months. We now have to drive 4/5 miles just to get a gallon of milk as Warren Ave. is no longer safe for a white person after dark, and not much better in the daytime.
I have always loved my city, but I think the time has come for a divorce. The crime around here is so bad that you can't drive down the street without a hooker flagging you down for sex or someone trying to sell you drugs, and the sad part is that they have no fear of the police because there are none. When you do see the police they are way too busy doing the really important things like writing parking tickets. In my recent past experience I've had to call them on two occasions and the average response time was 2 hours.
I just pray that we get a Mayor and other officials that will look out for the whole City and not just the areas they live in. I'm sure I'll be dead in my grave for 20 yrs. or so before we see any significant change. I just wish it weren't true.
People here vote on color first and then how cool the candidate is, if your some kind of pimp or player or some kind of sports figure then move here, you could very well win our next election, the more GIVE the the lowlifes of the city the more terms you'll get to serve. About 30 percent of the people here of all colors are good hard working folks and the rest are well...........................
We do not need a Rapid Transit System here, what we do need is jobs, and when we do have jobs the people that really DO WANT TO WORK will ALWAYS find a way to get there!
Thanks for taking the time to read..

Last edited by fabman_52; 10-18-2009 at 10:08 AM.. Reason: Forgot something

Old 10-18-2009, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabman_52 View Post
As a life time resident of Detroit, 58 years. I think it is a combination of Politics and the average citizen.
I have traveled from one corner of this country to the other in my life and nowhere have I ever seen so many people that think they have some sort of entitlement as the people of Detroit. Everything for nothing.
I was born and raised in the 48209 zip code which is part of the Southwest section of the city. Married and later bought a nice home in the 48228 zip code which is in the Northwest section, also known as Warrendale. Have lived here for 35 years now.
Over the past 7 yaers or so The place I call home has turned into a dump. Every street between Evergreen and Southfeild Fwy. has at least one burned out house or a vacant lot where a nice home once stood. Now I can't wait to get out!.
You can call me a racist, you can call me prejudice if you like, nothing would be further from the truth. I have a black son-in-law and 3 mixed grandchildren and I love each and everyone of them dearly. I also have some really great black neighbors, but this is not the norm. I have been to parts of this country where Blacks and Whites live together and get along very well, this is not so true in Detroit. I have no problem living with any decent hard working human being, but regrettably that is on longer the case. There seems to be no pride in neighborhood anymore.
I still have one of the nicest homes in Warrendale, and for all of the hard work,time and money we have invested in our home over the years my wife and I now have the privilege of looking out our front window at a driveway full of garbage across the street, an overrun vacant lot and a burned out house that has been standing like that for the past 6/7 months. We now have to drive 4/5 miles just to get a gallon of milk as Warren Ave. is no longer safe for a white person after dark, and not much better in the daytime.
I have always loved my city, but I think the time has come for a divorce. The crime around here is so bad that you can't drive down the street without a hooker flagging you down for sex or someone trying to sell you drugs, and the sad part is that they have no fear of the police because there are none. When you do see the police they are way too busy doing the really important things like writing parking tickets. In my recent past experience I've had to call them on two occasions and the average response time was 2 hours.
I just pray that we get a Mayor and other officials that will look out for the whole City and not just the areas they live in. I'm sure I'll be dead in my grave for 20 yrs. or so before we see any significant change. I just wish it weren't true.
People here vote on color first and then how cool the candidate is, if your some kind of pimp or player or some kind of sports figure then move here, you could very well win our next election, the more GIVE the the lowlifes of the city the more terms you'll get to serve. About 30 percent of the people here of all colors are good hard working folks and the rest are well...........................
We do not need a Rapid Transit System here, what we do need is jobs, and when we do have jobs the people that really DO WANT TO WORK will ALWAYS find a way to get there!
Thanks for taking the time to read..
You mentioned it isn't safe for a white person. It isn't much safer for a black person either, or for anyone either. I know there are alot of lowlifes in Detroit. That being said, my heart goes out to the people who have to live with those lowlifes.
As for not needing rapid transit, why not just admit it and say you don't want rapid transit and why you don't want it. I say rapid transit is a good idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit