Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe that forced busing killed Detroit?
Yes 27 23.08%
No 90 76.92%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 09:07 PM

72,817 posts, read 62,152,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkool View Post
[LEFT]Races in Detroit:
  • Black (81.6%)
  • White Non-Hispanic (10.5%)
  • Hispanic (5.0%)
  • Other race (2.5%)
  • Two or more races (2.3%)
  • American Indian (0.9%)
[/LEFT]

And?

Old 01-08-2010, 02:47 AM

257 posts, read 405,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
And?
Oh please. It is fairly common knowledge that blacks as a whole commit a lot of crime, and the demographics of that city are completely different than almost every other American city. According to those demographics, the city itself isn't even diverse. I'd imagine non-Blacks would feel unwelcomed there.

Old 01-09-2010, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LZKay1 View Post
Oh please. It is fairly common knowledge that blacks as a whole commit a lot of crime, and the demographics of that city are completely different than almost every other American city. According to those demographics, the city itself isn't even diverse. I'd imagine non-Blacks would feel unwelcomed there.
No, there is a higher proportion of crime. When it comes to numbers, the crime rates(especially murder rates) among both Blacks and Whites are actually pretty close. Go look it up in the FBI website. And think about this. Most Black people don't committ crimes, but rather, a few criminals committing most of the crimes, and think of other factors. What about the Black people in Detroit who have to live among the criminals? It seems like no one thinks about them.

I could imagine many people feeling unwelcomed in Detroit. Dertroit isn't the only place where many people would feel unwelcomed. Not the only place either. Some people wouldn't feel welcomed in places like Livonia either.

Detroit has a set of problems that not only include racial tensions, but a history of bad politics, and economic woes often tied to the automobile industry.

Old 01-09-2010, 10:18 AM

1,742 posts, read 3,985,004 times
The expansion of the auto industry in the 60's actually led to Detroit's demise. The big 3 spent billions of dollars in new facilities, none of which were in the city of Detroit. That led to the development of cities like Warren and later Sterling Heights. Add in the racial tension in Detroit and the city hit the skids. Look at other cities at the time Chicago, Philadelphia, Cleveland etc were also seeing a migration to the suburbs. The difference is, cities like Chicago and Philadelphia kept a strong central business district, whereas Detroit's situation was unique because they were growing prosperous suburbs, instead of suburbs in which to live and commute back to the strong central business district. Without infrastructure, what companies would want to locate to Detroit? The University of Michigan is almost in Detroit's backyard and one of the top schools in the country yet the students are leaving to find work elswhere. A regional rail system to connect this talent to Detroit sure wouldn't hurt. Another problem is, if a company located to Detroit, where would they set up shop? The Penobscot and Guardian buildings are not attractive places for modern and innovative companies. One thing is certain, Detroit has plenty of available land outside of dowtown to develop if a company was looking at more of a campus type building vs a downtown high rise.

Old 01-09-2010, 10:25 AM

1,742 posts, read 3,985,004 times
Also, the last plans I seen for the Ann Arbor transit rail was a stop at Metro Airport. If a company has headquarters in Detroit and operates facilities in other states and countries, I'd like to be connected to the airport so I can fly in my people working in other states and host corporate meetings. Also, Detroit could also play host to more conventions than the Auto Show with a better facility and better transit to hotels and the airport.

Old 01-11-2010, 03:22 PM

12 posts, read 29,967 times
It was fabulous in the 50's and early 60's. I was a child then. I have such great memories. Now I have nothing but sorrow for Detroit today. I left in the 70s and moved out of state due to the state of employment in Michigan and I never looked back. Now as an older woman I wonder what has happened to my Detroit. It is simply heartbreaking.

Old 01-11-2010, 04:07 PM

282 posts, read 812,028 times
"Now as an older woman I wonder what has happened to my Detroit. It is simply heartbreaking."
Yes it is, truly sad.

Old 01-11-2010, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxine3 View Post
"Now as an older woman I wonder what has happened to my Detroit. It is simply heartbreaking."
Yes it is, truly sad.
I watched a youtube video about what was happening in Highland Park,MI. According to one of the persons, many people who live there don't like what is going on, but they become used to it, that sometimes people get so depressed looking at it. Detroit and Highland Park turning into what it has become is sad enough for the persons who once lived there. The persons who live there, who call it home now, they probably feel depressed about it as well.

Old 01-11-2010, 05:53 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,066,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I watched a youtube video about what was happening in Highland Park,MI. According to one of the persons, many people who live there don't like what is going on, but they become used to it, that sometimes people get so depressed looking at it. Detroit and Highland Park turning into what it has become is sad enough for the persons who once lived there. The persons who live there, who call it home now, they probably feel depressed about it as well.

And they wake up everyday and do (fill in the blank) to make it a better place.

Old 01-11-2010, 06:00 PM

282 posts, read 812,028 times
And they wake up everyday and do nothing to make it a better place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit