Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2011, 06:42 PM

1,497 posts, read 3,476,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapwizard View Post
Detroits GM tower is a design they stole from atlanta
The westin Peatree plaza
The buildings were constructed at exactly the same time by the same architect. I say Atlanta stole Detroit's design, even though ATL's open a few months sooner- the RenCen is far more robust and the total complex puts Peachtree Tower to shame in terms of size and overall impressiveness.

Old 05-04-2011, 09:17 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,373,029 times
^^^exactly, how can an architect steal from himself??? lol

Old 05-06-2011, 07:43 PM

2,534 posts, read 2,245,547 times
I too am having a difficult time comprehending a design plan being "stolen" by the architect himself. Unless it was another architect's work, then those plans and blueprints are protected under copyright laws. Copyright in architecture in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-25-2011, 03:52 PM

97 posts, read 237,627 times
Detroit! Sure it has its ghettos. But Detroit is....home to the automobile...Detroit is....the only major city (including the enitre state of Michigan) where it is surrounded by all of the great lakes except Ontario...Detroit may be dirty, and ghetto, but honestly, who is trying to support the city. Eminem? Please!!! Bill Cosby? Please!!! People are quick to criticize, but not edify. Detroit's problem is....they need a Father, and I don't mean earthy either.

Old 07-25-2011, 06:19 PM

70 posts, read 131,779 times
Well, downtown is nice

Old 07-25-2011, 06:52 PM

30,702 posts, read 79,356,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapwizard View Post
What about atlanta, not by size but neatness and style
Detroits GM tower is a design they stole from atlanta
The westin Peatree plaza
The Peachtree does not look that much like the Ren Cen other than it is a large round tower of class so it might look somewhat like the center tower (which is a hotel, not GM headquarters). The Westin Bonaventure in Los Angeles is similar to the Ren Cen in miniature. It is my understanding that the Bonaventure was built first. Thus it might be said that both are copies of the Westin Bonaventure in Los Angeles. however neither hotel compare to the en Cen. Clearly this is the king of this collection of buildings.

Old 07-25-2011, 07:31 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,688,085 times
My god, how did I miss this gem of a thread (or did I? I guess we'll see).

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
aw you mentioned me????

Whomp whomp whomp

also I believe Gary is "blacker" than Detroit by %
I said I would ignore your posts, but I can't ignore these out right incorrect (to say it nicely) posts any long.

Even at both Detroit and Gary's peak, Gary wasn't even a percentage of the size as Detroit, thus no where near Detroit's league (and it still isn't). It's not even an Apples and Oranges comparison, more like Watermelons and Cherries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by us66 View Post
The city of Chicago is more like Royal Oak city, Ferndale, and Royal Oak Township put together, then.
Who in the world compares a tiny suburb to America's third largest city? Where's the logic in that? Even at Detroit's worst point (now), it resembles Chicago more than all the suburbs in NE Illinois and Metro Detroit combined.

I will say edub's post was just about as close to being 100% correct without actually being 100% correct.

Last edited by 313Weather; 07-25-2011 at 07:46 PM..

Old 07-25-2011, 07:42 PM

4,467 posts, read 5,017,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edub View Post
It seems this keeps coming up a lot so I thought I'd start a thread to clarify it a bit.

There are few if any cities like Detroit. While just about all big cities have their bad sections, Detroit is unique in that it is nearly all ghetto with a tiny spattering of half way decent areas that cover a few street blocks at the most. The areas around Wayne State and down town are fair at best and quite small compared to the miles and miles of crumbling neighborhoods. The "comeback" neighborhoods we are hearing about like "Cork Town" consist of like 3 blocks or around 20 houses. These are areas you could damn near throw a stone across - they are not significant sections of the city.

People from New York, Chicago, LA and just about everywhere can all point to their areas of ghetto. These areas make up usually a minute percentage of the whole city - like 2%-5%. But most of those cities are prime real estate. Detroit is the opposite in that around 95% of it is ghetto and none is really considered desirable.

I don't want to make this about race, but Detroit also has by far the largest black population of any big city at around 85% black - no other city even comes close.

Anyway, the fact is, while one could take a few pictures of occupied buildings, those make up about 20% of all structures with 80% of all structures being vacant. Outside of a few minute areas, Detroit is mile after mile of dilapidated ghetto. I know because I drive through it daily. I don't just walk the WSU campus. There are zero good areas in Detroit, with the few that are not horrible being like a postage stamp placed in a football field.

I've been to LA, Chicago, NY, Miami, etc. None are even remotely similar. People who tell you otherwise either don't know what they are talking about or are lying.
I think your negative percentages are a bit high, but your point is well taken. And I agree with all the raving about such areas like Corktown, which is such a tiny pocket surrounded by a ghost town, you could miss it...

... I know Detroiters like to compare themselves to Chicago because of Chicago's size, but be honest... right now, Cleveland, ... little crappy Cleveland, seems more "big city" than Detroit: stonger downtown on a regular basis, more in-tact, stronger city neighborhoods (I mean come on, I'd say Collinwood's tiny Waterloo strip is stronger than Corktown... and as for Ohio City, Shaker Sq, Tremont, to name a few... let's not even go there), and despite some comparably bad neighborhoods: Cleveland has much less decay than does Detroit...

... That said, I hope people don't see this to troll or rag on Detroit because I BELIEVE in Detroit. It has so much potential and so much good to work with, like Dowtown, the Riverfront along Jefferson, the Arts District, great old neighborhoods like Indian Village or Palmer Woods, etc., the great music culture and most importantly, a strong spirited people.

The PROBLEM is, I think, with a) wealthy suburbanites around the city who could care less about Detroit (other than the sports teams), and are indifferent and/or working to keep the city in the dark ages... like supporting regressive Republicans for national, state and local offices and fighting such things as mass transit... (but the commuter train/M1 light rail signal this may be a changing, ... YAY!!), AND b) some Detroiters who kind of have this us vs. the world/Detroit's OK attitude ... those who will take offense to my comments, for example, and merely take pot shots at Cleveland... that's unfortunate, because I think things in Motown are changing for the positive, albeit too slowly for some of us...

Old 07-26-2011, 12:10 AM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,373,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
My god, how did I miss this gem of a thread (or did I? I guess we'll see).

I said I would ignore your posts, but I can't ignore these out right incorrect (to say it nicely) posts any long.

Even at both Detroit and Gary's peak, Gary wasn't even a percentage of the size as Detroit, thus no where near Detroit's league (and it still isn't). It's not even an Apples and Oranges comparison, more like Watermelons and Cherries.

Who in the world compares a tiny suburb to America's third largest city? Where's the logic in that? Even at Detroit's worst point (now), it resembles Chicago more than all the suburbs in NE Illinois and Metro Detroit combined.

I will say edub's post was just about as close to being 100% correct without actually being 100% correct.
wow, first time back on Detroit forum and you clearly still have problems comprehending smh. Gary is "more black" by % than Detroit, look it up

Old 07-26-2011, 12:51 AM

615 posts, read 1,381,952 times
Gary is far smaller than Detroit - even taking Detroit's recent population dearth into account.

There are cities in the US bigger than Detroit, and there are places that are "purer" African-American (some Chicago suburbs, IIRC, and many small towns in a distinct belt in the Southeastern US, where intensive cotton cultivation exploited slave labor before irrigation and mechanization moved cotton production further west), but no US city is bigger and more African-American than Detroit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit