Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2010, 08:46 PM

655 posts, read 2,203,017 times

Advertisements

...when the Hudsons' building was imploded?

I was just watching Fox 2 and they showed how the newscasters were engulfed in the dust cloud. It made me remember where I was. I was in Trapper's Alley in Greektown. Just before it happened I closed the doors of the comic shop I worked at and went on the roof to watch it with a lot of other workers and customers in the building.

We had to take a rickety ladder that probably violated building codes to make it to the very top. It was a sight to behold. That is until the cloud kept coming all the way to Greektown! Thankfully no one was injured. It sure was a mess though.

Detroit memories....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 08:50 PM

970 posts, read 2,968,694 times
I watched the demolition in person. It was pretty exciting.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remisc View Post
I watched the demolition in person. It was pretty exciting.
How close were you? A lot of people were running from that cloud. I guess they were told it was going to only go so far and to one side. I don't see how they figured but that's why Fox 2 was engulfed.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:59 PM

970 posts, read 2,968,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slappy san View Post
How close were you? A lot of people were running from that cloud. I guess they were told it was going to only go so far and to one side. I don't see how they figured but that's why Fox 2 was engulfed.
I was far enough away, lol. Probably about 7-8 blocks, but I could still see it pretty good.

Old 11-20-2010, 07:57 AM

21,136 posts, read 19,714,475 times
Now, that's progress! Where would Detroit be without a block of I-beams sticking out of concrete right in the center of downtown...beside the scenic byway? What a great use of funds!

Old 11-20-2010, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Now, that's progress! Where would Detroit be without a block of I-beams sticking out of concrete right in the center of downtown...beside the scenic byway? What a great use of funds!

Just can't help yourself.

You talk about the I-beams and conveniently ignore the Compuware building. No to mention the little oasis with the park with the fountains, seating and rinks that probably wouldn't have happened without the Hudson demo.

I wonder if the house of cards that is home lending hadn't started collapsing would Dan Gilbert have committed to that site? Still, the underground parking under that site and the i-beams jutting out of the ground are better than what was there before.

Hudson was a hulk that needed to come down. That said, I actually miss the little park that was next to the building. Most people are probably happy to see it gone since homeless congregated there. I'm not one of them. The cost of progress though. *shrugs*

Old 11-21-2010, 05:32 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
I was watching on TV and my wife was at Wayne State atop the parking structure. Both remembering the great adventures we had shopping there with our parents--especially during Christmas..elevators to die for. A few years ago we came across a guy selling Detroit architectual items from his house off Vernor near Clark Park. He had the inside panels from several of the Hudson elevators. We should have spent the $250 for ONE of them...

Old 11-21-2010, 08:56 AM

21,136 posts, read 19,714,475 times
Compuware was built on the former site of another department store, Kern's. It has nothing to do with Hudson's. The "little oasis" was built on Campus Martius. It also has nothing to do with Hudson's.

I don't know what Dan Gilbert's plans were (other than peddling his predatory mortgages off on an unsuspecting and undereducated public), but you don't waste money tearing down buildings unless you have a definite replacement. The exception would be a building which poses a safety threat, which wasn't the case with Hudson's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
View detailed profiles of: