Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2010, 03:15 AM

1 posts, read 2,084 times

Advertisements

I am 22 years old and looking for a change (also, this is NOT my first time living alone). I am transferring to Wayne State and planning to live downtown, a block or two away from campus. I currently live about 20 minutes east of Detroit, in Macomb County. People have been trying to talk me out of moving but I feel like the city has so much more personality, culture, and depth than what I can find around my home. Maybe I am hyping the "moving to the city" experience up in my head, but i'd love to hear it from people who actually live there, not who hear the horror stories on the news. thanks a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2010, 07:19 AM

1,497 posts, read 3,489,698 times
If you know the lay of the land and want to live in the city, you should go for it. Don't listen to the naysayers- most of them are the type of people who can't think independently, i.e. they need the reassurance of others to do anything and normally just follow the crowd through life. I ran up against the same type of people when I decided to move downtown, and now all those same people are calling to use my apartment when they come to the city for events.

Moving downtown was one of the best decisions I ever made. If I hadn't moved to the city, I would have jetted from the state long ago. I lived in various suburbs and was miserable with the mundane predictability of it. Not that it was bad, but I just did not enjoy it. Many people in our region can't comprehend that. It's like it's missing from their collective psyche or something, which is why living downtown will make you part of an elite group of Metro Detroiters. All downtowners have that in common.

As far as lifestyle goes, there is definitely more stimulation being a downtowner... maybe even ten-fold. That's because you have immediate access to a concentrated wealth of entertainment and activities. Plus, there are other perks, like my view. It is a gorgeous sight and it never gets old. The biggest shortcoming of downtown is the lack of resident amenities. Downtown can feel like an amusement park at times- lots of great rides but few staples that cater to people who live here. Even though your rent may be cheap, you will probably spend a good chunk of change dining out. Most businesses cater to the tourists and design their hours around suburban event-goers. However, once you learn the routine, it's not bad. You'll also come to discover some of the city's hidden gems that are truly for locals. I have developed a love for these places, and everyone will know your name because 90% of the patrons will be fellow downtowners. It's like a small town feel in a giant city.

I love living in Detroit, and if you're anything like me, you probably will too. The fact that you came to the conclusion to live downtown is a big sign that you are a city bug and likely won't be satisfied until you get your fix! Of all the people who thought moving to Detroit was a bad idea, my family topped the list. Last week I had everyone over for Thanksgiving dinner and since I moved here they've done a 180 in terms of their previous opinions. One of the neatest things you'll experience is people reacting to learning that you live in Detroit. Older suburbanites will occasionally even *gasp* at the sound. But anyone under 35 you talk to will be intrigued because most are deeply craving what you will have, only they didn't know it existed or are waiting for everyone else's reassurance. Sincerely, you will have people stop you in your tracks and interrogate you once they know you live in Detroit, especially if you don't fit their demographic stereotype. It happens to me at least once a week.

If you need any more information, I am full of specifics. I tend to know something about most of the buildings and lofts around town. Whether you need a recommendation on a place to grocery shop, grab a sandwich, where the gyms are at, etc. let me know. I'm always more than happy to help out a future neighbor!

Old 12-02-2010, 08:06 AM

655 posts, read 2,202,354 times
One question, why aren't you going to live on campus?

Old 12-07-2010, 11:07 PM

6 posts, read 14,444 times
4 groceries you may have 2 go 2 eastern market or the honey bee on bagley or other super merchados(markets) in mex town. if u do not plan on getting food in the burbs

Old 12-12-2010, 06:03 PM

6 posts, read 9,352 times
There is a grocery store on campus. University Foods on Warren and the Lodge Freeway.

Old 12-12-2010, 06:04 PM

6 posts, read 9,352 times
Ellington Apartments would be a nice place for you to live if you can afford it. Location is Woodward Avenue and Mack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
View detailed profiles of: