Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 05:05 PM

1 posts, read 1,273 times

Advertisements

Hello metro Detroit folks! I am a student trying to do a project about population trends in the US. I currently live in Phoenix, Arizona and know many, many people from Michigan or who have family in Michigan and they seem as if they could not be happier that they left. None of them seem to say, "I will go back someday...this is just a temporary thing" etc. So, my question is, would you ever move to the sun belt if you got the chance, do you have lots of family who have left, and who has no desire at all to leave Michigan? It just seems as if Michigan is shrinking and nobody wants to stay. So, who loves it, and who can't wait to leave? Trying to get a little bit of both perspectives. Oh, and if you have any questions about moving to AZ, feel free to ask
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 05:54 PM

20,853 posts, read 19,322,755 times
Well, I absolutely hate Michigan in winter, but I wouldn't want to spend my summers anywhere else. So, I'll stay.

Now if I could have a winter home in the south and could convince all my family and friends to move en masse with me back and forth to there every winter and, oh yeah, have a 2nd job there, that would be the ideal situation.

Old 12-02-2010, 06:03 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,251,830 times
Moved to AZ for several months last year due to hubby's job, HATED it with a passion, so happy to be back in Michigan that I could have kissed the ground, no desire to ever go back to AZ even for a visit ever again. We didn't live in a bad area either, we lived in Arrowhead Ranch in N. Glendale which is very safe, as safe goes in greater Phoenix. Too many people, too brown, too hot, too little water, not enough jobs, in part because of too many illegals doing the work that unemployed Americans should be doing, and not enough shade trees. For every person you meet who loves AZ and is happy to be there there is probably a person who left that you aren't aware of. None of our family members on either side have ever moved to a sun belt state or have any desire to either.

As far as "nobody wanting to stay" in Michigan, please tell that to the thousands and thousands of people who make the freeways around Ann Arbor a parking lot everyday. They apparently haven't heard about that, and maybe they would be enticed to drink the Kool-aid and leave too and it would be easier for the rest of us to navigate this area.

I agree with Retroit. If I was ever interested in leaving Michigan again, it would be a strictly seasonal thing, because we too love the springs, summers, and falls here in Michigan, and it would be to somewhere that is actually green and has large natural bodies of water. Maybe a retirement condo for the winter months only somewhere like Hilton Head Island, SC or Sanibel Island, FL. Never would I go to the desert SW again, not when there are so many better options to choose from.

Last edited by canudigit; 12-02-2010 at 06:30 PM..

Old 12-02-2010, 07:24 PM

1,497 posts, read 3,475,236 times
I lived in Nevada for work this summer and didn't like it. Everyone told me the southwest was the land of milk & honey, and I went there with an open mind, but once I got there, I felt it didn't have much to offer. Most people I met were transient or transplants so they had no real pride or interest in the area. There wasn't much in terms of historical significance or a unique culture that one might say was truly "Nevadan." I know I'm only one person, but the southwest did not have the "depth" of midwest and east coast cities. Things just seemed superficial, very modern, but generic- like plastic. The scenery was interesting at first, but even the desert becomes predictable. I will say that most people were friendly enough, and my co-workers who grew up there had much more interesting things to tell me about the state. However, I wouldn't trade Michigan for the southwest any day. I think Texas might be a different story than AZ, NV, NM, and UT, but I've never been there so I don't know.

Old 12-02-2010, 08:09 PM

364 posts, read 874,161 times
I live in Michigan and love it, no plans on leaving. Most of the people I know like living here too, so the whole "MI is shrinking and no one wants to stay" is foolish. Population in MI is ~10 million vs AZ's ~6.5 million, btw. Cant beat a 4-seasons climate with water all around

Old 12-02-2010, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForStarters View Post
I lived in Nevada for work this summer and didn't like it. Everyone told me the southwest was the land of milk & honey, and I went there with an open mind, but once I got there, I felt it didn't have much to offer. Most people I met were transient or transplants so they had no real pride or interest in the area. There wasn't much in terms of historical significance or a unique culture that one might say was truly "Nevadan." I know I'm only one person, but the southwest did not have the "depth" of midwest and east coast cities. Things just seemed superficial, very modern, but generic- like plastic. The scenery was interesting at first, but even the desert becomes predictable. I will say that most people were friendly enough, and my co-workers who grew up there had much more interesting things to tell me about the state. However, I wouldn't trade Michigan for the southwest any day. I think Texas might be a different story than AZ, NV, NM, and UT, but I've never been there so I don't know.
Well said. It seemed that all of our neighbors in AZ were transplants, mostly from California, and that they either loved it or hated it and complained constantly about being "stuck" there. I always had the feeling that the true history of the place belonged to the Navajo and the Hopi, not the white people who only moved there relatively recently after air conditioning became a reality for the common man. There are some very nice areas in greater Phoenix, parts of Scottsdale come to mind, but overall it didn't hold a candle to Michigan for us. I remember vividly the day that I flew into Metro in late August to look for a house back here. I was overwhelmed by the beautiful, lush, greenness of the area, even the weeds looked beautiful because they were green and alive, and don't even get me started on the gorgeous, leafy maple trees...and we're talking Romulus, which is nice enough but hardly the most beautiful part of this great state. To each his own.

Old 12-02-2010, 10:57 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,871,199 times
I would have already left if a few things were just a bit different. I love the southwestern style, all that stucco and tile and all that, and the newness is refreshing...a little sterile for some tastes, but refreshing to me. Las Vegas is not the "land of milk and honey," though. A while back it used to feel that way a bit, but it's just too big and has too many problems, now. That notwithstanding, I'd still love to live there. I've never been to central Arizona so I can't say much about it, but I've been to Tucson, and that place really almost felt like that "land of milk and honey" everyone wants. I'd love to see Sedona, too. What a lovely place.

Old 12-02-2010, 11:07 PM

16,284 posts, read 42,959,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsetlvrfrvr View Post
Hello metro Detroit folks! I am a student trying to do a project about population trends in the US. I currently live in Phoenix, Arizona and know many, many people from Michigan or who have family in Michigan and they seem as if they could not be happier that they left. None of them seem to say, "I will go back someday...this is just a temporary thing" etc. So, my question is, would you ever move to the sun belt if you got the chance, do you have lots of family who have left, and who has no desire at all to leave Michigan? It just seems as if Michigan is shrinking and nobody wants to stay. So, who loves it, and who can't wait to leave? Trying to get a little bit of both perspectives. Oh, and if you have any questions about moving to AZ, feel free to ask
I grew up in Michigan and have no intention of ever moving back.

I do like Michigan. There are a lot of great things about it...and most of my classmates and family members choose to stay in Michigan, and seem very happy with being there.

I think your polling might be biased, as the people who moved from MI to AZ, probably wanted to be in AZ.

I think there are plenty of people still in MI...whenever I go back, it seems as if there are more and more and more 'development', i.e chain stores everywhere I look. (Detroit is losing population, but I think most MI people are attached to the many small towns throughout the state).

Last edited by Tiger Beer; 12-02-2010 at 11:19 PM..

Old 12-02-2010, 11:10 PM

9,432 posts, read 10,700,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsetlvrfrvr View Post

Most of the people you see in AZ that say they will never go back have that attitude because they hate our harsh climate. There will always be people like that here, and every year some of them leave. A vast majority here however enjoy our changeable climate. I know people who have lived in the west and they never could adjust to the lack of greenery, and the fact that water is so scarce. Michigan is 90% green farmland or forest. Water is everywhere, 12000 inland lakes and the great lakes. The physical enviroment of Michigan is pretty and enjoyable. Most people born and raised in an upper midwest state like Michigan would have a tough time in the desert. Even though you have met thousands of economic/climate refugees in the southwest, they do not represent the majority here. Most people are fighting to STAY here. Our economy is the enemy, not the state.

Old 12-03-2010, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Most of the people you see in AZ that say they will never go back have that attitude because they hate our harsh climate. There will always be people like that here, and every year some of them leave. A vast majority here however enjoy our changeable climate. I know people who have lived in the west and they never could adjust to the lack of greenery, and the fact that water is so scarce. Michigan is 90% green farmland or forest. Water is everywhere, 12000 inland lakes and the great lakes. The physical enviroment of Michigan is pretty and enjoyable. Most people born and raised in an upper midwest state like Michigan would have a tough time in the desert. Even though you have met thousands of economic/climate refugees in the southwest, they do not represent the majority here. Most people are fighting to STAY here. Our economy is the enemy, not the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit