Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2016, 10:48 AM

3,671 posts, read 5,883,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Various uses for that property have been discussed for a considerable time. There were parking issues that had to be sorted out before they could decide what use was practical. I think they got their parking issues sorted out last year. They were also running out of time to propose a use. That probably pushed them to get a plan out there. It has been a discussion of many years.

It is not entirely clear whether this is a real plan with money behind it, or whether it was their favorite of several and just tossed out there to meet the deadline. Perhaps we will know by the end of 2017.

While they may have a plan to complete it in 2020, it will be unlikely they will achieve that goal unless they make some major progress in 2017. They need to have financing in place. It is possible Gilbert is going to finance the whole thing on his own, but that is not likely. There will at least be a laon, and probably some partners. Financing will involve negotiating tax breaks and other regulatory changes necessary to make the project work financially. There is still a ton of work to do in planning before they can even start serious design. Then the need to make the design, get prices, do value engineering, negotiate a contract get approvals, permits and start work. Once work starts, there are usually surprises, things in the ground they did not expect, things in the plans that do not work, some code or other governmental issue no one ever thought of, etc. Change in government, partners, lenders who raise new demands. A project of this size is going to encounter endless set backs and delays. It almost always happens.
Well Gilbert is a billionaire so it's not like he can't afford it if it comes down to it. Either way, something is going to happen with the property, if it were Illitch or a couple other people, I would agree with you. But I think the property is in good hands. We really don't even know what stage the planning is in right now. They could already have a serious design we don't know about. But I never get too excited about plans until the ground is broken because they do almost always change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2016, 11:31 AM

3,671 posts, read 5,883,465 times
Default Under Armour to open a store in downtown Detroit

Gilbert: Under Armour Store Coming To Downtown Detroit In Spring 2017 « CBS Detroit
Under Armour opening I believe it's first brand house location in Michigan right in downtown Detroit. It looks like it will be 3 floors (the basement, first, and second). Honestly, with Under Armour putting their MI flagship store downtown, it's going to make Nike look like a charity case with it's community store. Looks like we got a little bit of competition downtown .

Old 11-22-2016, 01:59 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
Well Gilbert is a billionaire so it's not like he can't afford it if it comes down to it. Either way, something is going to happen with the property, if it were Illitch or a couple other people, I would agree with you. But I think the property is in good hands. We really don't even know what stage the planning is in right now. They could already have a serious design we don't know about. But I never get too excited about plans until the ground is broken because they do almost always change.
Gilbert is a billionaire on paper. That does not mean he has $300 million in available cash. His assets total billions, not his cash. Besides he is a developer. The developer credo is OPM. I do not think he is suddenly going to start dumping personal assets into a project. There will be a time lag to come up with financing. Although they are supposed to already have a source identified. However they could have identified self funding and then just change it later.

If they had a serous design and were looking for pricing or hiring someone to help with VE, I would know about it.

Old 11-22-2016, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
Gilbert is a billionaire on paper. That does not mean he has $300 million in available cash. His assets total billions, not his cash. Besides he is a developer. The developer credo is OPM. I do not think he is suddenly going to start dumping personal assets into a project. There will be a time lag to come up with financing. Although they are supposed to already have a source identified. However they could have identified self funding and then just change it later.

If they had a serous design and were looking for pricing or hiring someone to help with VE, I would know about it.

Old 11-22-2016, 03:37 PM

1,996 posts, read 3,158,204 times
Oh yeah

Old 12-07-2016, 02:01 PM

GM opens new Company Store at Renaissance Center

GM Company Store Opens in the Renaissance Center

The new store is part of a larger renovation project that includes significant updates to the public spaces in the Renaissance Center. In addition to the store, GM will add an immersive experience with interactive exhibits that will highlight innovation, technology and design across the company’s global brands.

The GM Company Store offers branded merchandise representing Chevrolet, Buick, GMC and Cadillac and is located on Level 1 in the GM Wintergarden. It will be open from 9:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m. during the week and occasionally on the weekend

(I'm going to buy that Camaro VS Everybody shirt!!)

Last edited by usroute10; 12-07-2016 at 02:12 PM..

Old 12-07-2016, 02:09 PM

Japanese-Influenced Eatery Bringing Noodle Bowls to Former Rubbed Space in Corktown

http://detroit.eater.com/2016/11/23/...t-opening-soon

Unfortunately, a pretty neat deli called RUBBED, closed a few months ago, but this restaurant is opening up in the same storefront, so this is fantastic news.

Sushi restaurant to open in Downtown Detroit's former Federal Reserve Building | MLive.com

New Sushi restaurant opened recently in the old Federal Reserve building downtown on Fort

Old 12-13-2016, 01:15 PM

1 posts, read 846 times
Long shot, but I'm trying to find out more information on what is happening at 443 E. Milwuakee, it looks like it might be undergoing rehab. I've found this website and I think it's it, but everytime I call I get a voicemail. Any ideas on what's going on here? www.milwuakeeloftsdetroit.com

Old 12-13-2016, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robhuber View Post
Long shot, but I'm trying to find out more information on what is happening at 443 E. Milwuakee, it looks like it might be undergoing rehab. I've found this website and I think it's it, but everytime I call I get a voicemail. Any ideas on what's going on here? www.milwuakeeloftsdetroit.com
Not sure, but our security stuff blocks this site. That gives me some concern.

Old 12-13-2016, 05:11 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,595,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Not sure, but our security stuff blocks this site. That gives me some concern.
Poster spelled Milwaukee wrong. Website technically doesn't exist. This is the correct link.

http://milwaukeeloftsdetroit.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit