Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 01:43 PM

5,980 posts, read 13,118,780 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure if ever started a thread showing this, but how many of you are familiar with this project?

Driving Detroit - A Freep.com special series

The map is interesting, and the categories that reagrading condition of neighborhoods seems accurate when checked with street view.

What is interesting is that if you are going to generalize about the city, is that away from the downtown-midtown-corktown area, the northwest side of the city, seems to be in better shape.

Do you think that this is partially because of the proximity to Oakland County (the real economic center of metro Detroit) as well as possibly better housing stock (larger brick houses)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 04:42 PM

970 posts, read 2,968,093 times
Kinda interesting. I noticed that the 'urban prairies', which the city is very well-known for, make up a very small amount of land.

Old 12-20-2010, 05:00 PM

1,497 posts, read 3,490,369 times
Wow. This is really neat. I've never seen this; thank you for posting it.

The map really shows a multifaceted Detroit. You can really sense that Detroit is a living, breathing city, continuously in transition. While some areas continue to slide, others are on the rebound. A lot of the city (orange areas) are peppered with beautiful, well-maintained houses right next to blighted houses. There's a wild contrast of abandonment and new construction. I think that where many people see total abandonment, especially factories and industrial buildings, other people are starting to see the tremendous opportunity in re-purposing those buildings. McGraw's map will be really useful to investors who want to study different parts of the city. Seeing as this project came out in 2007, there have been quite a few changes since then. Definitely, some areas have gotten worse, while others have substantially improved, like Southwest Detroit, Midtown, and E. Riverfront.

I really hope that they follow up with this project and repeat it in 2017 (10 years later) to track the changes. I suspect that some areas will continue to decline, while areas where progress was just beginning in 2007 will hopefully be in almost mint condition. It will be really interesting to see the effects of Mayor Bing's plan to consolidate the city into core neighborhoods. His plan could radically change the landscape into a stark contrast of areas that are well-maintained and have a high population density, while other areas will become large swaths of completely barren urban prairie.

Detroit is such an interesting and dynamic place. The potential of the city is awesome, namely because it is so large and has so much stuff, but it can only happen if the right people get involved and stay the course.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:51 PM

21,096 posts, read 19,703,590 times
Here are some more maps that give a bit more detail (showing each vacant lot). They were created in March 2006, and things have gotten much worse since then.

http://www.greenwaycollab.com/images/GWI/Detroit%20Workshop%20Central.pdf (broken link)

http://www.greenwaycollab.com/images/GWI/Detroit%20Workshop%20East.pdf

http://www.greenwaycollab.com/images/GWI/Detroit%20Workshop%20West.pdf

Old 12-20-2010, 08:29 PM

Here's a map from 1990 (a bit old, I know):

http://www.cus.wayne.edu/content/map...Conditions.pdf

Here's a map which shows the percentage increase in vacant addresses from Dec '05 to June '08.

http://www.cus.wayne.edu/content/map...Change0508.pdf

They come from this site which has a lot of other interesting maps:

Center For Urban Studies

Old 12-20-2010, 08:42 PM

Another site with more current info (2/15/2010) but less detail:

http://www.detroitparcelsurvey.org/p...esentation.pdf

Maps start on page 17.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:08 PM

If you like these kind of maps, here's another site from Macomb County that has a lot of info for the metropolitan area. Pretty fun to use!

Macomb County GIS

Old 12-20-2010, 11:12 PM

51 posts, read 123,986 times
Quote:
What is interesting is that if you are going to generalize about the city, is that away from the downtown-midtown-corktown area, the northwest side of the city, seems to be in better shape

Do you think that this is partially because of the proximity to Oakland County (the real economic center of metro Detroit) as well as possibly better housing stock (larger brick houses)?

Maybe. NW Detroit was also the last stand of the WASPs in Detroit. Back in the ~50s-60s, the racial dividing line was down Livernois. Whites to the west, blacks to the east. So the middle-class held out longest in the NW. These homes likely saw more TLC before that last generation died or moved away. I assume that was also one of the last strongholds of the black middle class in Detroit as well.

Parts of the east side have been falling down for a long time. At least in my opinion.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:32 AM

321 posts, read 1,125,326 times
I would have thought that the City Airport area (between Van Dyke and the airport) would have been listed as "prairie"

Old 12-26-2010, 07:09 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,182,729 times
There may not be much classified as prairie, but a significant portion of the city is "mixed", which is described as including a significant percentage of abandoned buildings. There are also two large squares of "much abandonment" on the vaunted northwest side. This map isn't exactly selling me on the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
View detailed profiles of: