Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 01:07 PM

21,124 posts, read 19,707,707 times

Advertisements

Very well said, ForStarters (I hate when I have to admit that ). I also don't want sweatshops here, but I also don't want them in other parts of the world. However, our politicians don't have to receive votes from all the gainfully employed foreigners, and must instead rely on votes from the unemployed and underemployed Americans. Go figure!.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 01:21 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,394,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
The fact is that Detroiters are all kinds of people -- poor, rich, and middle-class -- and yes, 80% of them are Black. I tend to think that a lot of the people moving out of the state are the ones who lost their jobs -- and thus are NOT on welfare, at least not here in MI. The ones who've stayed are here to hold onto their jobs, in large numbers. And I wish some of these folks would start more businesses...
plain and simple....a lot of people who were not on welfare before the recession are now......and yes that does include Detroiters. for edub to say the majority "look ghetto" (how do you look ghetto btw???) and accuse them of being on welfare just shows how much of an idiot he is. Just like his little "ghetto fabolous" thread smh. Never judge a book by its cover. I can show you plenty of guys I know personally who dress like the typical Detroiter (jeans, shirt, gym shoes etc), drive fixed up old schools, listen to rap etc and work or own their own business etc.

I can remember recently a story on the news of a young Detroit man who moved to west bloomfield and was getting harrassed and called all type of "ghetto (insert insult here)". Funny thing is he owned his own home, was married, his wife worked at the hospital and he owns a chain of dry cleaners in the city that he started when he was 19. its a shame that people still will judge you based on stupid stereotypes.

Old 12-29-2010, 04:12 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,933,978 times
Does anybody remember back in the 70s(?), 80s(?) a consultant of some sort had an idea to make Detroit into a "world class" city, and was ridiculed and subsequently run out of town? It was a female as I recall who was soundly chastised in the media, citing that Detroit is, was, and always will be a gritty, working class, automobile town - and how dare you try and change it! That's how I remember it at least. I've been googling to no avail.

Old 12-29-2010, 05:27 PM

21,124 posts, read 19,707,707 times
You mean her ideas were more brilliant than the RenCen and the People Mover?

Old 01-01-2011, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
for edub to say the majority "look ghetto" (how do you look ghetto btw???) and accuse them of being on welfare just shows how much of an idiot he is. Just like his little "ghetto fabolous" thread smh. Never judge a book by its cover.
I can remember recently a story on the news of a young Detroit man who moved to west bloomfield and was getting harrassed and called all type of "ghetto (insert insult here)". Funny thing is he owned his own home, was married, his wife worked at the hospital and he owns a chain of dry cleaners in the city that he started when he was 19. its a shame that people still will judge you based on stupid stereotypes.
Some mentalities DEMAND that you conform to whatever's in their comfort zones and they react harshly if you don't. If they don't have enough power to MAKE you conform, then they take potshots at you from afar because it's all they can think of to do. Like most intolerance it's based on fear.

Old 01-02-2011, 12:47 AM

287 posts, read 1,010,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
Does anybody remember back in the 70s(?), 80s(?) a consultant of some sort had an idea to make Detroit into a "world class" city, and was ridiculed and subsequently run out of town? It was a female as I recall who was soundly chastised in the media, citing that Detroit is, was, and always will be a gritty, working class, automobile town - and how dare you try and change it! That's how I remember it at least. I've been googling to no avail.
You mean Emily Gail?

Read*Mezzanine: Photo of the Day: Emily Gail makes the new Runaways movie

Old 01-02-2011, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggo View Post
Nope, but thanks for the response! You take me back - Emily had a small shop in the Penobscot selling Detroit souvenirs and was Max's sister. She operated the store by herself, and one day as I was browsing, she asked me to hold the fort while she took a break. She knew me not at all - quite a person!
No, the person I'm thinking of was not high-profile at all - was a planner of some kind, possibly/probably commissioned.

Last edited by detwahDJ; 01-02-2011 at 01:41 AM..

Old 01-02-2011, 04:14 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,309,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
plain and simple....a lot of people who were not on welfare before the recession are now......and yes that does include Detroiters. for edub to say the majority "look ghetto" (how do you look ghetto btw???) and accuse them of being on welfare just shows how much of an idiot he is. Just like his little "ghetto fabolous" thread smh. Never judge a book by its cover. I can show you plenty of guys I know personally who dress like the typical Detroiter (jeans, shirt, gym shoes etc), drive fixed up old schools, listen to rap etc and work or own their own business etc.

I remember that story, it was horrible. There was another one late this past summer about a black family in some suburb in the outer reaches of Macomb Co. I can remember this bright, articulate, clean cut black kid saying that "they keep telling us to 'go back to Detroit' and we aren't even from Detroit, we're from Warren!" (I think it was Warren, but whatever, the point is, they weren't from Detroit to begin with.)

Quite sad and pathetic. I felt sorry for that kid. The irony was, he was much neater and more articulate than the people who were harassing him.

Old 01-02-2011, 04:25 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,394,410 times
and btw NONE of that garbage you say we wear is true. get real. urban wear isn't even popular haven't been since late 90s/early 2000s. coolio hair? ha get a life edub you don't see **** in Detroit because you don't come to the city. stop lying

Old 01-15-2011, 06:09 AM

655 posts, read 2,202,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
I remember that story, it was horrible. There was another one late this past summer about a black family in some suburb in the outer reaches of Macomb Co. I can remember this bright, articulate, clean cut black kid saying that "they keep telling us to 'go back to Detroit' and we aren't even from Detroit, we're from Warren!" (I think it was Warren, but whatever, the point is, they weren't from Detroit to begin with.)

Quite sad and pathetic. I felt sorry for that kid. The irony was, he was much neater and more articulate than the people who were harassing him.
I remember that story a bit. His line about not even being from Detroit was the part that really stuck with me. I wonder whatever happened with that.

BTW, thanks for the link thread starter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit