Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 05:52 PM

4 posts, read 5,535 times

Advertisements

Happy Holidays to all, I have spent the last hour reading threads on this forum and I think its one the best forums I have read to date. I subscribe to many forums, but the insight-intellect and overall desire to offer quality advice is really terrific.
Having lived most of my life in NYC, now a living in Charleston, South Carolina, I feel the winds of living area change, brewing in me. NYC is a bit too dense and dirty for where I am in life now, South Carolina is too redneck and no industry at all, nor any apparent desire to change that by the good 'ole boys network. I had to move here, it was a family matter.
I have been considering a move to an area that has historical value, reasonable prices on homes to own, and a job market that has potential for future growth. I have read articles in a few periodicals about revitalization and incentives for people considering a relocation to Detroit. So, I have been researching as much as I can about locations to live and available employment. Can any one direct me to a few links that I can look for employment other than Craigslist or a city paper link that routes you to Careerbuilder? I have some money that can hold me for a while, and some set aside for a down payment on a home, but without really understanding what is realistic and what is a fantasy, as to gainful employment, I can not pull the trigger. I come from a well off community in Queens, so the suburbs are always a draw, but the reality is I am not personally well off, so I have my eyes and ears open to any and all suggestions.
Thank you in advance for your assistance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 09:27 PM

85 posts, read 333,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennvannone View Post
Happy Holidays to all, I have spent the last hour reading threads on this forum and I think its one the best forums I have read to date. I subscribe to many forums, but the insight-intellect and overall desire to offer quality advice is really terrific.
Having lived most of my life in NYC, now a living in Charleston, South Carolina, I feel the winds of living area change, brewing in me. NYC is a bit too dense and dirty for where I am in life now, South Carolina is too redneck and no industry at all, nor any apparent desire to change that by the good 'ole boys network. I had to move here, it was a family matter.
I have been considering a move to an area that has historical value, reasonable prices on homes to own, and a job market that has potential for future growth. I have read articles in a few periodicals about revitalization and incentives for people considering a relocation to Detroit. So, I have been researching as much as I can about locations to live and available employment. Can any one direct me to a few links that I can look for employment other than Craigslist or a city paper link that routes you to Careerbuilder? I have some money that can hold me for a while, and some set aside for a down payment on a home, but without really understanding what is realistic and what is a fantasy, as to gainful employment, I can not pull the trigger. I come from a well off community in Queens, so the suburbs are always a draw, but the reality is I am not personally well off, so I have my eyes and ears open to any and all suggestions.
I hope my story gives you some insight and hope:

I had been searching for a good job for the last almost 2 years. In NYC, I used to work in mortgage packaging at one of the major firms that collapsed in 2008. I had also newly purchased a co-op in UWS in Manhattan. The first thing I did was sell my co-op (took me almost 9 months thanks to the idiotic co-op board which kept turning down potential buyers).

My job search over this period included the usual job sites careerbuilder, monster, nytimes etc. - I got some job interviews and offers but the pay offered really sucked - nobody really wanted mortgage professionals. This was a waste of time and it is why I started looking around to move (I am a born and raised NYer - trust me, it was hard for me to take this decision). SC is cheap and has tons of new people moving there...which I saw as an opportunity. I went to RE school in Columbia and got licensed as a Real estate agent. Worked as a RE agent for a good six months before deciding that even in SC people are scared stiff to buy new houses and moreover they prefer to deal with good ol' southern boys and gals - not a "yankee".

Now I took a totally different approach - working with placement agents to help land a job. The best one that I can recommend is Kforce - Online Job Search, Professional Staffing - Kforce - Apply Online Today!.

Unexpectedly and out of the blue, I got a call for a job interview in October - you can imagine my surprise when they told me the job was in downtown Detroit.

I can tell you what works and what does not work in job search:

1. Internet job search does not work in general - it works only if you are in super skilled professions like high tech or healthcare.
2. Personnel agencies work - they take time but eventually they do land you a job. Just be prepared to relocate anywhere they place you...yes, even to Detroit!
3. "Pounding the pavement" on the phone works - keep calling potential employers - calls are cheap and the potential employers or agents tend to remember you.

Hope this helps and Good Luck!

Old 12-28-2010, 09:46 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,826,851 times
Some companies such as banks or hospitals have their own websites that you can search and apply for jobs.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:50 AM

261 posts, read 506,118 times
If you really want a change do what I did--give up all your belongings and move to Alaska. Of course, a lifetime in a dumpy struggling city will inspire one to do such things...

Old 12-28-2010, 10:16 AM

915 posts, read 1,505,336 times
It would have helped if you gave us some idea what type of job you are seeking - as some industries are growing and some are not. And, I know you'd prefer it if we didn't waste your time.

Also, lot of the work around here (especially at the Big 3 and suppliers) is contract, so you've got to get your resume to all the contract houses.

Old 12-28-2010, 12:04 PM

3,120 posts, read 8,064,152 times
Quote:
I have been considering a move to an area that has historical value, reasonable prices on homes to own, and a job market that has potential for future growth.
Reasonable home prices? Check. (There's a reason why.)

Potential for future growth? Errrt!

Are you aware that Michigan has probably had the nation's worst economy over the past decade and that it has one of the highest rates of unemployment today? People are moving away from Michigan for employment reasons, not moving into it. Consequently, that's one of the reasons why home and condos are affordable; the state has a high rate of foreclosures and the population is decreasing.

If you are going to need a job, you should consider another state.

Old 12-28-2010, 01:29 PM

85 posts, read 333,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaalspawn View Post

Are you aware that Michigan has probably had the nation's worst economy over the past decade and that it has one of the highest rates of unemployment today? People are moving away from Michigan for employment reasons, not moving into it. Consequently, that's one of the reasons why home and condos are affordable; the state has a high rate of foreclosures and the population is decreasing.

If you are going to need a job, you should consider another state.
When I was interviewing in Detroit last month the HR lady told me that SE Michigan has a shortage of health care professionals like x-ray technicians, nurses, physiotherapists and the like. She actually asked me if I could encourage a few friends in healthcare from down south to consider moving to the Detroit area.

So I guess it totally depends on what your skills are.

Old 12-28-2010, 01:32 PM

261 posts, read 506,118 times
SE Michigan is in desperate need of health care proffessionals.

Old 12-29-2010, 03:28 PM

915 posts, read 1,505,336 times
Come on! We all know that Government Motors (I mean, General Motors) is out of bankruptcy and Chrysler announced that it was going to hire a few people. It's raining jobs out here....

OK, maybe it's not that great....

A friend who works for Kelly Services Corporate says they've had an uptick in the number of placements they've made in the past 2 quarters. And - of course - the media is reporting (again) that Michigan is finally out of the hole and looking up, up, up.....

Not that I'm super optimistic, but there are still industries that are hiring. And Nevada's been beating us out for the highest unemployment rate for months. (We're #2! We're #2!)

I, for one, am not going to turn away anyone who is looking to move, be employed and spend money here, but you've got to be realistic about the economy and spend a lot of time tailoring your resume for the jobs that exist here. You aren't going to do well sending a generic resume out.

Michigan is a great place to live, but we've been through a tough decade and now that the national economy has been faltering - it doesn't look like a recovery is going to come as quick as analysts say that it well. So, you've got a lot of people who are very cynical nowadays.

Old 12-29-2010, 05:19 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,933,978 times
Quote:
I have weblinks for Michigan but it would help to narrow down your field from "gainful employment".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
View detailed profiles of: