Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 12:11 PM

20,969 posts, read 19,434,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cath4ever View Post
For Retroit:
Top row L to R:
Sweetest Heart of Mary, St. Joseph, Holy Cross, St. Anne, Shrine of the Little Flower
Middle Row L to R:
Holy Redeemer, St. Paul on the Lake, Our Lady of Mt. Carmel, Old St. Mary's, Cathedral of the Most Blessed Sacrament (I didn't go in there)
Bottom Picture:
St. Hedwig
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2011, 04:46 AM

655 posts, read 2,196,087 times
Congrats on your trip. Thanks for the pics.

Old 01-15-2011, 07:09 AM

1 posts, read 1,812 times
As long as you don't listen to the un-Christlike hierarchical pronouncements.

Old 01-15-2011, 01:51 PM

10,104 posts, read 19,320,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cath4ever View Post
Why am I interested in visiting churches? That takes a bit of explaining...
The original reason I got interested in photographing churches is way back when I was in 6th and 7th grade. During the Holy Year 2000 many Catholics made a pilgrimage to the four major basilicas in Rome: St. Peter's, St. John Lateran, St. Mary Major, and St. Paul Outside the Walls. I live in the Diocese of Gaylord, MI, and during that year the Bishop of Gaylord said that, for anyone who couldn't make it to Rome, he would specify three churches in our diocese that the faithful could travel to instead: St. Mary Our Lady of Mt. Carmel Cathedral (Gaylord), Our Lady of the Lake (Prudenville) and Cross in the Woods (Indian River).

Instead of visiting just those churches though, I got the idea to visit all 81 churches in the diocese! So, every couple of weeks for about a year and a half my parents and I visited 80/81 churches in the Diocese of Gaylord. The only one we never visited is Holy Cross on Beaver Island. I would still like to get there eventually so I could complete all 81. At that time I would only take one picture of the exterior of the church and one picture of the altar because I was using disposable cameras, now I have a nice Olympus digital camera.

After we got done with those I really didn't visit too many more churches except a couple in the Diocese of Marquette and a couple in the Diocese of Grand Rapids. The Cathedral of St. Peter in Marquette has both the best interior and exterior of all seven Cathedrals in Michigan. After those I didn't do much more for about 10 years.

Then, last June I made a trip out to Winona, MN to attend the SSPX Priestly Ordinations. A coworker of mine recommended I visit the Cathedral of St. Paul in Saint Paul while I was out there, so I did and it was stunning! Until now the Cathedral of St. Paul was the prettiest church I had ever been in, but that has now been trumped by several of Detroit's churches. Seeing the Cathedral of St. Paul got me interested in visiting churches again. Unfortunately, I visited the Cathedral the day before I was to head back to Michigan, otherwise I would have visited more churches out there after seeing that.

When I returned to Michigan I decided I wanted to visit churches again, so in my free time from September to October I went on every diocesan website and looked up every church in the states of Minnesota, Iowa, Illinois, Missouri, Wisconsin, Kentucky, Indiana, Ohio, Michigan, and Pennsylvania. Most of the dioceses had pictures of the exteriors of their churches on their wesbites, so any churches that had nice exteriors I would put on a spreadsheet with the church name, address, mass times, and phone number. Then, if those particular churches had their own websites, I would go to them and search for any pictures of the interior. If they had a nice ornate interior, I would record that on the spreadsheet as well. I did this for all the churches in all of the states I listed. That is why I had such an extensive list of churches in Detroit that I wanted to go to.
Hopefully I will be able to go out to the ordinations this June in Winona too, and this time I'll stop at churches on my way out and on my way back.

While I was growing up I always wanted to be a Catholic Priest, so I have had a deep interest in the Holy Catholic Faith from about fourth grade on. However, as I actually think about the question "WHY do I like to visit and take pictures of churches?" I actually don't know...I just like them.

You might want to consider making a book of your pictures and research of the great Catholic churches of Detroit and other places.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:16 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,785,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poetman View Post
As long as you don't listen to the un-Christlike hierarchical pronouncements.
Take it to the religion section poetman.

Old 01-21-2011, 05:55 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,265,523 times
I got goose bumps looking at these pix, and I'm not even Catholic! Thanks so much for sharing them. I wish there was some way to post those pix somewhere on C-D anonymously and have people guess where they were taken. I bet you would get Chicago, New York, Philadelphia...people would guess everywhere BUT Detroit. Nobody has any idea what we have here, do they?

God bless you. You made my day.

Old 02-04-2011, 11:26 PM

40 posts, read 123,242 times
Default More Churches...

Hello once again,

I am planning a second trip to Detroit in the very near future to visit more churches that I didn't get to visit on my last trip. I would greatly appreciate the help of all of you again to let me know if any of these churches are in bad areas. I am not scared of Detroit anymore after having visited it once, and wouldn't even question my safety in the areas I was in, but I saw on maps that some of these churches I would like to visit this time are close to 7 Mile or 8 Mile. I have read a lot of the posts on City-Data's Detroit Forum and there seems to be a consensus that 7 Mile and 8 Mile especially around Highland Park are pretty bad areas. The churches I was in before weren't anywhere near 7 Mile and 8 Mile, so that is why I am asking since I don't have experience with these vicinities.

With most of these churches I am just planning to snap a picture on the outside because I have no indication whether or not the inside is pretty. When I was down on my first trip I found it quite easy to get exterior pictures while sitting in my car, and that way it would lessen the safety issue too if I don't have any intention of going in a particular church anyway. However, if I go on a Sunday morning I might go after Mass so I could see the insides and take pictures if they are nice. Thank you again for everybody's help. I have greatly appreciated it and it has been an immense help to me as well.

Pertinent Info: I will only be visiting the churches. I will do nothing in the surrounding areas/neighborhoods. I might get out of the car and take pictures of the inside if it is a nice interior and it is open. I am questioning my PHYSICAL safety. I know never to leave my car unlocked.

Here are the churches:

St. Leo
4860 15th St.

St. Francis D'Assisi
4500 Wesson

Nativity of Our Lord
5900 McClellan St.

Sacred Heart
1000 Eliot St.

Holy Family
641 Chrysler Dr.

St. Gregory the Great
15031 Dexter Ave

St. Louis the King
18891 St Louis Ave

St. Cecilia
10400 Stoepel St.

St. Peter Claver
13305 Grove Ave.

St. Raymond
20103 Joann Ave

All Saints
7824 W. Fort Street

St. Jude
15889 E Seven Mile Rd.

St. Patrick
58 Parsons St.

St. Matthew
6021 Whittier

Our Lady Queen of Heaven
4200 Martin Street

St. Anthony Lithuanian
1750 25th St

Sts. Augustine & Monica
4151 Seminole St.

St. Cunegunda
5900 St. Lawrence St.

Thank you again!

Last edited by cath4ever; 02-04-2011 at 11:28 PM.. Reason: Added St. Cunegunda & editted one address

Old 03-12-2011, 08:43 PM

Default My pictures are posted!

Hello,

After all this time I have finally posted a good number of photographs of each church I have visited. They are here on City-Data's photo album and here is the link:

//www.city-data.com/forum/membe...15-albums.html

I hope you are edified by them.

Thank you all for helping me get to them by your advice!

God bless,

Cath4ever

Old 03-13-2011, 02:34 PM

10,104 posts, read 19,320,940 times
Thank you for sharing your pictures!

They show the grandeur Detroit once was.

I sincerely hope you publish your photos in a book, also, have you considered a blog? Many are interested in historical bldgs

Old 03-13-2011, 02:58 PM

Default To all

I just privatized my photo albums due to some rude comments made on another forum (not Detroit's) about my pictures. I am not a professional photographer and I do not pretend to be nor do I want to be one. I take my pictures so that I can remember what the churches looked like since I don't live around any of them.

On Sunday, February 20 I visited 10 churches in a matter of 4 hours and I had to get them within 30 minutes or so before or after their services. It also takes time to drive to each church. I did not have time to set up a tripod and take perfect shots, nor do I want to invest a large amount of money in something that is just a hobby. I have an Olympus FE-330 8.0 Megapixel Camera as well as a Nikon Coolpix 14.2 Megapixel Camera that I use, and I think they work fine and I do not want to buy anything further.

From now on I'll keep my photos to myself. The link that I posted will no longer show photos. Anyone who expressed a desire to see my photos before I posted them, I'll contact you later so that you can see them. I will not reply to any new requests to view my photos.

Thank you to everyone who gave me productive help in assessing the safety of visiting my churches and for all the encouragement in producing my photos. I really do appreciate it.

Sorry,

Cath4ever
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit