Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 06:53 AM

319 posts, read 493,650 times

Advertisements

I hear Detroit is among the most, if not THE most, segregated city in America.
And I also hear that the city's caucasian population is around 10% of the city's total.

Based on that, can anybody tell me the neighborhood(s) which have a predominantly white presence? I hear the area immediately near the Ambassador Bridge is significantly white. I think the neighborhood is called 'Mexicantown'. True?

Last edited by jeffncandace; 07-16-2007 at 08:52 AM.. Reason: spelling :-)

Old 07-15-2007, 09:36 AM

999 posts, read 4,526,781 times
Quote:
I hear Detroit is among the most, if not THEE most, segregated city in America.
And I also hear that the city's caucasian population is around 10% of the city's total.

Based on that, can anybody tell me the neighborhood(s) which have a predominantly white presence? I hear the area immediately near the Ambassador Bridge is significantly white. I think the neighborhood is called 'Mexicantown'. True?
There were a couple "copper canyons" in Detroit that were populated mostly by European-American city employees. Cops, firemen, public works, etc. There were a couple areas on the far west side, next to the suburbs, and there were a couple on the far east side next to the suburbs.

After the courts ruled that the city could not force employees to live in the city, there was a mini-exodus as many white AND black employees left for suburbia. Along with them went many bakeries, meat markets, family restaurants, etc. Those spots were replaced by cell phone stores, hair salons, etc. One former "copper canyon" area, known as Warrendale, is becoming home for a lot of Iraqi immigrants. After the first Gulf War, a lot of Iraqis came to this country. Something like 10,000 right off the bat. They were distributed across the country, and over the years, many of them seemed to have gravitated to the Warrendale area of Detroit. Probably because of it's proximity to Dearborn, that has a lot of Arab restaurants, Mosques, etc. In fact, the biggest Iraqi Mosque in the area is now on Warren Avenue near the Warrendale neighborhood. After the second Gulf War, even more Iraqis are moving into the area. There is also a big Iraqi presence in the 7 Mile/Woodward area, but they were here before the Gulf War.

The area of southwest Detroit near the bridge is home to many Mexicans and South and Central Americans. There used to be a very bad gang problem down there, although I don't think it's as bad as it used to be, or people have just gotten used to it and don't complain anymore. The Latin Counts, Spanish Cobras and others were down there. They don't sing or dance as well as the Sharks or the Jets.

Vernor is a pretty vibrant business strip with lots of Mexican restaurants and specialty stores. "Mexicantown" is OK and is where lots of suburbanites feel relatively safe to go for their Detroit experience in Mexican dining.

Historic Fort Wayne is nearby and is a gem that the City should sink more money into.

I wouldn't plan to live in the area if you have kids. If you want to buy a house but can't afford one in a nicer area, I guess Southwest Detroit might be an option. I could probably handle living there if I was single. Lots of cool old churches around. Ste. Anne's, Holy Redeemer, etc. They filmed a lot of "The Rosary Murders" with Donald Sullivan in that area and at Holy Redeemer.

Old 07-15-2007, 01:55 PM

1,608 posts, read 9,743,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneBKLYN View Post
I hear Detroit is among the most, if not THEE most, segregated city in America.
That's true.

Old 07-15-2007, 08:16 PM

4,494 posts, read 7,479,293 times
Red face I know...off topic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by and the View Post
Historic Fort Wayne is nearby and is a gem that the City should sink more money into.
That place is surreal; walking around feeling like you're back in time only to look past the the fort area to see the very heavy industrialization nearby.

It's very strange going in and coming out of that place! Warps your senses for a minute.

Old 07-16-2007, 03:11 AM

5,758 posts, read 11,631,619 times
Corktown is largely white, isn't it? That always struck me as a strange little enclave.

Old 07-16-2007, 09:01 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,197,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
Corktown is largely white, isn't it? That always struck me as a strange little enclave.
Corktown, and surprisingly, Delray also has a significant white population. Midtown thru Wayne State, and Downtown.

Old 07-16-2007, 03:51 PM

999 posts, read 4,526,781 times
Quote:
That place is surreal; walking around feeling like you're back in time only to look past the the fort area to see the very heavy industrialization nearby.

It's very strange going in and coming out of that place! Warps your senses for a minute.
The new bridge is going to go in near Fort Wayne. I hope they don't sell it and bulldoze it. That would be about par for the course as far as the C of D and historical buildings. I DO know that the Tuskegee Airmen group is looking for a new location for its museum, so I hope they don't know something that the rest of us don't.....

Old 07-19-2007, 03:37 PM

607 posts, read 2,979,434 times
Corktown is very white, southwest detroit very white and hispanic. midtown and downtown is a good mix between white and black.

Old 07-23-2007, 11:39 PM

151 posts, read 640,965 times
Metro Detroit is so segregated and I can't stand it!!

The stats don't lie, Detroit is predominantly Black and most of the 'burbs are predominantly white.

I'm a Wayne State Alum and lived on campus. Most of the community (incl. Midtown) was very diverse which reflected the make-up of the student body. However, most of Corktown and Mexicantown is Hispanic.

Downtown is diverse, that's for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake1256 View Post
Corktown is very white, southwest detroit very white and hispanic. midtown and downtown is a good mix between white and black.

Old 07-24-2007, 05:36 AM

1,608 posts, read 9,743,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericka709 View Post
Metro Detroit is so segregated and I can't stand it!!
While you can't stand it there are many more that love it that way, including me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit