Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2011, 08:33 PM

323 posts, read 1,131,807 times

Advertisements

Hi all, just thought I'd add something to the job and economy discussion about Michigan. I decided to move back to the Detroit area after a few years away. While I enjoyed my time living in the mountain west, I never found people I could connect with on the same level as my fellow Michiganders. I missed my friends and family terribly, and also missed the great music, food, sports and lakes that our great state has to offer. I could go on and on about the reasons I came back, but what I really wanted to say is that after a bit of hard work and looking, I AM EMPLOYED full-time in Detroit. I came back to a situation of living with some friends for a bit, and earning money from random freelance writing and editing jobs (so, not much money). But a friend of a friend of a former coworker e-mailed another friend with a job opportunity working at a college in the Detroit area. It's in the fundraising and grants department, and after three months (including a month of which was a rigorous application process), I landed the ONE job I applied for in Detroit. I am very qualified for the position, but I feel the main reason I got this job is because of networking with other people, and having my name brought up to the right people at the right time.
I guess what I"m saying is that the streets weren't paved in jobs anywhere that I had lived out of state, but there was a lower level of unemployment. HOWEVER, with the connections I already have in Detroit (even ones I didn't even realize I have), I was able to get a far better job than any I had Out West. It kind of evens out sometimes.
My point to this is, what I've learned recently: Don't burn bridges with former employers/coworkers, keep in touch with people, let people know you're looking for work. Put yourself out there. Have professionals review your resume. Consult your employed friends during the application and interview process, if they have any advice on "do's" and "don'ts". Don't lose hope and stay positive. If you continue to present yourself well, and aren't downtrodden and jaded like so much of the population, you'll be in a great position to recognize an opportunity when it comes your way. And people will want to help you out.
Good luck everyone, and Happy New Year!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 07:28 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,707,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by electric_lady View Post
Hi all, just thought I'd add something to the job and economy discussion about Michigan. I decided to move back to the Detroit area after a few years away. While I enjoyed my time living in the mountain west, I never found people I could connect with on the same level as my fellow Michiganders. I missed my friends and family terribly, and also missed the great music, food, sports and lakes that our great state has to offer. I could go on and on about the reasons I came back, but what I really wanted to say is that after a bit of hard work and looking, I AM EMPLOYED full-time in Detroit. I came back to a situation of living with some friends for a bit, and earning money from random freelance writing and editing jobs (so, not much money). But a friend of a friend of a former coworker e-mailed another friend with a job opportunity working at a college in the Detroit area. It's in the fundraising and grants department, and after three months (including a month of which was a rigorous application process), I landed the ONE job I applied for in Detroit. I am very qualified for the position, but I feel the main reason I got this job is because of networking with other people, and having my name brought up to the right people at the right time.
I guess what I"m saying is that the streets weren't paved in jobs anywhere that I had lived out of state, but there was a lower level of unemployment. HOWEVER, with the connections I already have in Detroit (even ones I didn't even realize I have), I was able to get a far better job than any I had Out West. It kind of evens out sometimes.
My point to this is, what I've learned recently: Don't burn bridges with former employers/coworkers, keep in touch with people, let people know you're looking for work. Put yourself out there. Have professionals review your resume. Consult your employed friends during the application and interview process, if they have any advice on "do's" and "don'ts". Don't lose hope and stay positive. If you continue to present yourself well, and aren't downtrodden and jaded like so much of the population, you'll be in a great position to recognize an opportunity when it comes your way. And people will want to help you out.
Good luck everyone, and Happy New Year!

Congrats!

Michigan has an aging population and the baby boom wave of people retiring is just about to hit. Even though Michigan has lost 100's of thousands of jobs....there are still millions of jobs in the state. As older workers start to retire new openings will be created. However, many older workers are continuing to work because of what they lost in the Market or home equity as a result of the recession/depression. Before the recession hit it was being said that there would be a shortage of workers after 2012, due to the baby boom wave hitting retirement. That wave of retirees has been subdued by loses in retirement accounts....but with the market up more.....more should be leaving the job market which means more job openings. States with younger population will not benefit as much from the retirement wave of job openings.

Again....congrats!

Old 01-05-2011, 07:50 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,310,229 times
Congratulations and welcome home!

I was also able to find a secure, well-paying job after returning to Michigan from a western state where I couldn't find anything. I guess it helps that I work in healthcare-I'm an RN-but still, we lived in a state where there are supposed to be nursing jobs in abundance. What I found instead was hiring freezes at almost every hospital in the city, and I met a lot of nurses who were employed but getting called off every other shift because of low patient census. Things aren't always what they're cracked up to be, are they?

Good luck in your new job, and again, welcome home!

Old 01-05-2011, 09:02 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,762,019 times
Excellent news. Welcome back to Detroit!

Old 01-05-2011, 10:41 AM

275 posts, read 441,743 times
Congrats on the job, and on finding your way back home.

Old 01-06-2011, 04:48 PM

323 posts, read 1,131,807 times
Thank you, everyone! It feels so good to be home! The grass isn't always greener And yes, I have heard that the baby boomers retiring is going to mean a lot more jobs coming in the next five years. Lots to be hopeful for here in Michigan!

Old 01-19-2011, 06:56 AM

655 posts, read 2,203,017 times
Congrats!

Old 01-20-2011, 03:30 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,762,019 times
I just wanted to say that I heard today that unemployment (according to the standard measures, which I know are maddeningly incomplete) is down to around 11%. That is a LITTLE more like it.

Old 01-20-2011, 05:39 PM

2,947 posts, read 7,020,434 times
Congrats for landing jobs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
View detailed profiles of: