Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 01:17 AM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,393,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio248 View Post
No, this is wrong.

I am half Mexican. Mexican communities are not scattered about Metro Detroit.

Mexican communities exist in the following places: SW Detroit, Lincoln Park, Melvindale, Taylor, Pontiac, Waterford.

There are no Eastside Mexican communities. NONE. That is why I asked why folks are asking about Latinos moving into the Pointes from the East Side, which makes no sense.

Only blacks (and a few scattered whites) live on Detroit's East Side. There isn't a single taqueria in the entire city of Detroit east of Michigan Ave.

First, you didn't say Mexican or Latino "community" second there are more Latinos in the Detroit area than Mexicans. Just because you're half doesn't mean you know where every last Latino lives. You do realize many Dominicans, Puerto Ricans, Panamanians etc are racially black and look no different than many AA. I know a couple of people who are or half DR or PR and their Latino parent are from the eastside. I went to school with some so no you are wrong to say their are NO latinos on the eastside. Once again that is SOUTHWEST not West (as in Westside)
Uh, no, wrong again.

GP schools have a STRICT RESIDENCY requirement. They actually drive to your home, knock on the door, and check to see if you're living there.

They have full-time investigators on the payroll to investigate attempted non-resident enrollment.

You think they're stupid or something? They're bordering the worst neighborhoods in Detroit, so they know they have to keep out the riff-raff.
Uh they're bordering the worst neighborhoods in Detroit????? Um since when is East English Village, Moningside, Marina District and Jefferson Chalmers the worst in Detroit (all neighborhoods right next to GP)
And I go to GP and I see tons of black folks. Many of the stores are heavily patronized by blacks. Mack Ave. retail is probably predominately black clientele nowadays.
Uh no the hell is not. I don't care what you say to try and convince me there are so many black people in GP when its not true. Like I said I OFTEN shop at the Barnes and Noble, Kroger, TGIF, Panera, Grocery Store on Mack right at the GP border and many other stores. There are usually little to no blacks in these stores. smh. And most of the ones who shop in some of the stores live in like EEV and Morningside because their right on the border. I ride down GP streets when I'm that way, matter of fact my brother was just looking at a house in GP Park so I was there a lot going with him to check on it. There are usually little to no black people outside, at the parks, stores etc and I mean dead in the middle of the summer when EVERYONE is outside.
Yeah, badly outdated stats. Obviously everyone knows GP was lily-white many years ago. We're talking 2011, not 1990 or 2000.
and its still predomitely white sorry

Thanks for admitting I'm correct. Harper Woods is largely in GP Schools. Therefore, if Harper Woods is turning black, then so are GP Schools.
LOL how the hell you figure that. Just because some kids in HARPER WOODS go to schools in GP doesn't mean **** so you're not right. Its no different than a Detroit kid in Oak Park schools (there are many). Harper woods having more black people doesn't mean GP automatically has way more too. smh

Um, you need upgrade your reading comprehension skills. Is this DPS education?

No one said that the Pointes were currently 50-50 black-white.

I said that IN THE FUTURE the SCHOOLS will be 50-50 black-white. Big difference.
anyway....smh

GP North High was about 0% black a few years ago.

Now it has a significant and fast-growing black population.

If a school rockets from no blacks to a sizable black population in a few years, it's logical to assume that the trend will continue. This is the pattern of racial change in Metro Detroit.
OK in the FUTURE doesn't mean GP at this MOMENT is soooo black. Smh you are the one saying "yea Gross Pointe has a large black population" when it CLEARLY does not.
//
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2011, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
It might be important to note that the percentage of black kids that make up the public schools are generally much higher than the percentage of blacks in a particular city. Hence, a significant increase in the number of black kids in a district does not automatically mean that the percentage of blacks in the area have increased by a large absolute number. I mean....if you go from a city that is 1% then it become 5% in a decade....that is still extremly low....when you consider that the metro ara is about 22% black and its contiguous with an area that is 85% black.
thank you!

Old 01-15-2011, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by us66 View Post
A few things:
1. That school that either is or is very close to being minority-majority is the one actually in Harper Woods. I am pretty sure that there aren't any areas of GPW zoned for it, but I could be wrong.
2. Yes, there is a Mexican restaurant on the far east side of Detroit...on Mack near Cadieux, but I don't remember the name of it. It is quite small.
3. True, there is no true enclave of Latinos anywhere on the east side or suburbs, but there were some living in Chesterfield Township back during the building boom. I don't go out there like I used to but I don't see as many in the stores out there when I do go there, so I think some may have left. I do see more around Oakland Mall nowadays (but still not a large number) and some when I do shopping in Roseville.
4. I used to go to open houses in the Pointes and nearly every one had black people looking at it as well.
I actually ate there a couple of times this summer. I like the quesadillas lol

Old 01-15-2011, 07:30 AM

90 posts, read 200,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
I actually ate there a couple of times this summer. I like the quesadillas lol
La Cina Nice people, but no liquor license. Pretty good. We also like Sierra Station on Mack over by Maryland/Lakepointe. I'm sure the food in Mexicantown is a much more authentic experience.

Old 01-15-2011, 07:46 AM

339 posts, read 975,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by us66 View Post
A few things:
3. True, there is no true enclave of Latinos anywhere on the east side or suburbs, but there were some living in Chesterfield Township back during the building boom. I don't go out there like I used to but I don't see as many in the stores out there when I do go there, so I think some may have left. I do see more around Oakland Mall nowadays (but still not a large number) and some when I do shopping in Roseville.
There are no true enclaves of latinos because "enclaves" are usually created by poor latino immigrants that need of each other to survive. The reality is that Latinos are scattered everywhere in the metro area including the east side. In my sub alone we have Venezuelan, Brazilian, Colombian and Puertorrican (our own) families and I can estimate that all these households have incomes of at least 150k and up. I know because we are all engineers in our 30's, dual income and working in similar industries.

I also have Puertorrican friends in Shelby Twp and Washington Twp, all profesionals. I also have some Puertorrican friends in Rochester Hills, Troy, Canton, Commerce, Milford and quite a few as far as Ann Arbor.

Also just because you don't see stereotypical mexican looking people in the stores, it does not mean there are no Latinos here. Latinos come in many different races and they are certainly not walking around with a name tag showing their last name so that you can identify them. Some can pass as black, italians and even middle eastern (like my husband).

Old 01-15-2011, 10:21 AM

970 posts, read 2,967,925 times
The Grosse Pointe communities have a higher minority population now more than they ever had. Grosse Pointe Park (The most 'diverse' Pointe) has a decent black population centered around the first few blocks off Alter. That census tract is about 13% African-American. The area between Cadieux and Lakeland is the only area in the Pointes with a significant Hispanic population, at about 6%,

But, the largest minority group in The Pointes is are Asians, in case anyone's interested.

Old 01-17-2011, 02:50 AM

758 posts, read 1,961,238 times
I cannot believe folks are still trying to argue about Latinos on the East Side.

Again, there is NO Latino community on the East Side. This is why I asked why the thread says "Blacks and Latinos".

Anyone with functioning eyes can see that there are about 10,000 times as many East Side African Americans as Latinos.

And NO, a "community" isn't a random person. It's a critical mass of people. Who cares if there's some random Venezuelan in Sterling Heights or wherever. It has nothing do with any larger demographic trends.

Old 01-18-2011, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio248 View Post
I cannot believe folks are still trying to argue about Latinos on the East Side.

Again, there is NO Latino community on the East Side. This is why I asked why the thread says "Blacks and Latinos".

Anyone with functioning eyes can see that there are about 10,000 times as many East Side African Americans as Latinos.

And NO, a "community" isn't a random person. It's a critical mass of people. Who cares if there's some random Venezuelan in Sterling Heights or wherever. It has nothing do with any larger demographic trends.
you had the nerve to comment on my comprehension skills but this thread clearly doesn't ask about "latino communites" it asks about Latinos period. So to say there are absolutely NO latinos on the eastside or in eastside suburbs is ridiculous. I'll make sure I relay that to my half PR and DR friends smh

Old 01-18-2011, 02:05 AM

758 posts, read 1,961,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
you had the nerve to comment on my comprehension skills but this thread clearly doesn't ask about "latino communites" it asks about Latinos period. So to say there are absolutely NO latinos on the eastside or in eastside suburbs is ridiculous. I'll make sure I relay that to my half PR and DR friends smh
The thread title asks about blacks and Latinos in GP.

Anyone who knows the first thing about the East Side knows that's a crazy question.

The black population of the East Side is like 90%-95%, and the Latino population is like 0%.

Might ask well ask about blacks and Martians moving into GP.

Old 01-18-2011, 02:14 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,726,689 times
Everybody please calm down.
Yac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit