Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 11:15 AM

68 posts, read 161,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly716 View Post
We are used to relatively high rents, but would like to spend less than $2000/month for 2 bed/2 bath. We are willing to spend a bit more to be in the "best" location for us...convenient to ann arbor and downtown detroit (ideally no more than 30-40 min. commute) safest, near some shops/restaurants, some kind of activity or walkable downtown area, some young professional presence...not sure if such a place exists in this in-between location, but willing to search hard for it and will compromise.

Would prefer a newer townhouse style or walk-up rental, but don't mind high-rise style apt. (if that's even common in the area)

Thanks again for all the suggestions!

So you are renting?

There are quite a few townhouses in the Northville/ Novi/ Canton/Plymouth area. You could find a very nice one for under $2,000.

Have you considered single family homes? You could find a very nice home in one of those aforementioned locations with a mortgage under $2,000
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 04:06 PM

615 posts, read 1,390,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Birmingham is very safe and upscale and has a great, trendy downtown that attracts upscale shoppers from around the area. I have never researched it, but I hear that Birmingham can be a pretty expensive place to live. However, if you're used to the prices of Center City Philly, then Birmingham probably won't seem out of line. It is a bit further from Ann Arbor than most of the other cities mentioned here, however. It's doable, just not quite as close.
Bham would really be a bear of a commute for both of them (AA and Detroit), not mere distance, but having to penetrate dense Oakland County traffic.

Old 01-16-2011, 05:56 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,903,387 times
There's been a lot of "brownstone-style" townhouses built in much of the metro area over the last ten years. Some of these are quite nice (some less so) and in desirable areas. There's a bunch in Canton Township, Plymouth Township, and Northville Township.

Old 01-17-2011, 11:49 PM

14 posts, read 20,597 times
I lived in Plymouth when I was in my early 30s, it was very nice. With what you want to pay, you can definately find a nice area there. There are bars and upscale restaurants there. You are also close to Novi and Northville, which are also very nice. Downtown Plymouth is adorable, google Plymouth and check out some of the sights. Royal Oak, etc is definately more young/hip but it is not in the direction you are going. good luck, feel free to message me if you have any questions about Plymouth.

Jenny
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit