Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 08:39 AM

1,395 posts, read 2,506,576 times

Advertisements

A great-looking house, in a Detroit neighborhood that a street view of Google maps suggests is far from fooked, is listed on Trulia for little more than a bag of chips. How is this neighborhood holding up in this economy?

Here's the listing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 08:43 AM

Never mind. I poked around on Google maps, and it seems that blight starts just a few blocks to the west and only one block to the east. And that blight has likely gotten even worse since the Google cams rolled through that part of Detroit. There's a reason for everything.

Last edited by maclock; 01-16-2011 at 09:03 AM..

Old 01-16-2011, 04:12 PM

42 posts, read 161,492 times
its not that dangerous since its one block north Of Grosse Pointe Park, which is very safe.

Old 01-16-2011, 04:20 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,876,516 times
Audubon is still pretty nice, closer to Mack (house numbers under 5K or so). Courville, one street west, has taken a real dive in the last few years, but might still be more or less okay. Three Mile, a bit worse. West of there, forget it. It's ghetto Detroit now. What a shame. Anyplace else it would be gentrifying. There's some nice brick houses on Alter, closer to Harper, but I don't know if the nice ones are in Morningside proper.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:40 AM

758 posts, read 1,953,517 times
Morningside Heights is a bad neighborhood, and I would not consider it.

If you have to live in that corner of Detroit, look at East English Village, which is significantly better.

Old 01-17-2011, 01:56 PM

10,103 posts, read 19,312,108 times
Have you actually been there, or just looking at a website?

Before making such a major purchase, drive by it. Do you even feel comfortable getting out of your car? How far is it to a grocery story, etc? would you feel safe coming home at night? would you feel safe running out at night for a quart of milk? Walk the routes your kids would walk to school, do you feel uneasy?

Sorry, but I left (fled) that area years ago. I realkize things have changed, but none I can see for the better. I got sick of being constantly on edge. I cherish my freedom where I'm at now, I can come and go as I please. I was even afraid to take a shower if at home alone, couldn't hear someone breaking in.

No, that's not "racial prejudice" or some sort of mental disorder. Its taking reality into consideration.

They do look like nice houses, but also, look very carefully at the taxes, back taxes, etc. Wayne County is terrible to get informaiton out of, don't rely on what a realtor tells you, get your facts in writing before committing, you could end up paying 3x-4x the purchase price on taxes!

Old 01-17-2011, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LP10 View Post
its not that dangerous since its one block north Of Grosse Pointe Park, which is very safe.

What's that got to do with anything? You think the Grosse Pointe Police will swing by to check on you? We lived within 7 blocks of Grosse Pointe, its a different world one step over Alter Road.

Old 01-17-2011, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Have you actually been there, or just looking at a website?

Before making such a major purchase, drive by it. Do you even feel comfortable getting out of your car? How far is it to a grocery story, etc? would you feel safe coming home at night? would you feel safe running out at night for a quart of milk? Walk the routes your kids would walk to school, do you feel uneasy?

Sorry, but I left (fled) that area years ago. I realkize things have changed, but none I can see for the better. I got sick of being constantly on edge. I cherish my freedom where I'm at now, I can come and go as I please. I was even afraid to take a shower if at home alone, couldn't hear someone breaking in.

No, that's not "racial prejudice" or some sort of mental disorder. Its taking reality into consideration.

They do look like nice houses, but also, look very carefully at the taxes, back taxes, etc. Wayne County is terrible to get informaiton out of, don't rely on what a realtor tells you, get your facts in writing before committing, you could end up paying 3x-4x the purchase price on taxes!
Thank you for those helpful tips. I am certain that they will aid someone else.

I was interested in this home only because it turned up in some Trulia search results. Following developments in the Detroit metro area has been an interest of mine for a number of years. I do hope that things turn around for the Motor City and environs.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
Thank you for those helpful tips. I am certain that they will aid someone else.

I was interested in this home only because it turned up in some Trulia search results. Following developments in the Detroit metro area has been an interest of mine for a number of years. I do hope that things turn around for the Motor City and environs.

Although I can certainly see the appeal of such a home! shelter for less than a used car, can't beat that! Especially in today's economy. Actually, my comments weren't meant to scare anyone completely off, a cheap house has its advantages, just know what you're getting into.

I suppose for such a cheap price one could always rent it out, they'd have an instant positive cash flow.

Old 01-18-2011, 02:12 AM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,374,999 times
I have two friends in Morningside and my bro lives in East English Village. Both look very similar to each other. The area actually isn't as blighted as you all seem to think. There are more homes in the area that are empty but that's everywhere. Like someone stated, drive through the area to really see for yourself. West of Morningside is blighted and I believe they have made efforts to revitalize the area (Alter Rd and a couple other streets)

ohio248 I highly doubt EEV is "significantly" better than Morningside seeing as it directly outside of Morningside.

To the OP
I would suggest looking up the crime stats for Morningside
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit