Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 11:37 AM

5 posts, read 8,021 times

Advertisements

hi everybody,

we soon are mooving to the area of novi, are here people with dogs and can tell me wich areas are the best?

we think of going to the area of northville or farmington hills, wich communities are pet and dogfriendly with good areas to walk with the dog?
can me help somebody and tell me his experiences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2011, 12:24 PM

21,097 posts, read 19,694,480 times
I'd say just about anywhere. Some cities have restrictions on certain types of dogs, such as Pit Bulls and Rottweillers. Most cities have restriction on the number of dogs you can have, 2 or 3 usually. Some cities have dog parks: detroitdogparks.com

Old 01-23-2011, 01:21 PM

thank you, the dog parks sounds great! can you tell me what happens there? (i´m sorry, i´m german and don´t know about dog parks)
our dog doesn´t belong to the restricted groups. ist a labradormix

i think northville sounds great.
maybe here are some people living in communities there and can recommend some.

Old 01-23-2011, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanygirl View Post
can you tell me what happens there?
Well, basically the dogs run around in a fenced in area and sniff each other's asses, and their owners stand around and do the human equivalent.

(Hope that translates well. )

Old 01-23-2011, 02:47 PM

ah ok, i think i know now what it means
but you can´t walk larger distances with the dog in this area, don´t you?
it is mainly to meet other dog owners und dogs to play and run around. sounds funny

Old 01-23-2011, 05:44 PM

Oh yeah, you can walk your dog around, but most cities require the dog to be on a leash, which prevents dogs from getting the running exercise they need. These dog parks are large fenced in areas where dogs are able to run around. No, they weren't intended as a meeting place for dog owners, but when your dog sniffs the ass of someone else's dog, it tends to lead to conversation, it seems.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:07 PM

615 posts, read 1,390,761 times
One thing to keep in mind about a newer suburb like Novi. It's not the ordinances that will get you, it is the landlord or deed restrictions. In many developments, you may be forbidden to have large dogs, forbidden to have dogs outside, even forbidden from keeping a pet altogether, so read all the fine print before you buy or rent anything.

Either that or shop for a home in an older suburb further in, or an old farm house further out.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:08 AM

which are the older suburbs?
we don´t want to buy, we want to rent for the first time. i would never buy something what makes me any instructions in relation to the pets i have.
wolud you say, that the newer suburbs aren´s pet freindly? or even pet antagonistic?

Old 01-27-2011, 10:16 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
You will be able to find lots of dog friendly places in Northville and Novi. Are you renting or buying? Renting will be harder, but that is just a question of the landlord's preferences, it has nothing to do with location. Lots and lots of room to walk with your dog in either place. You can walk for miles and miles if you wish. The dog is supposed to be on a leash, but if you get tino a rural area, no one will really care. However if you are near a road, you will want your dog on a leash. Besides, some people have very large dogs that will eat your dog if it is runnoung around loose. Leash is a very good idea.

Dog parks are fun but keep in mind:

You must clean up your dog's poop.

There is usually no one watching or regulating the use of the dog park. It is just a big fenced field. If you dog gets attacked or eaten by another dog, that is just too bad. Usually people do not bring dogs that are not friendly to other dogs, but once in a great while, incidents do happen. If you go to a dog park, check out the behvious of the toehr ddogs there before you release your dog into the fray.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:19 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Northville and Novi ar e both very old towns (by US standards). Most of Novi is newer, and most of the old parts have been torn down, but it is still an older suburb.

In that area, Northville, Novi, South Lyon, New Hudson, Salem, Milford, Plymouth, all date back into the 1800s. I think that Canton and Farmington Hills are newer. Farmington is pretty old though. LIvonia is comaratively newer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit