Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 02:18 PM

3 posts, read 5,834 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I'll be moving to the area in summer of this year for a position in Dearborn. I'm from Atlanta and thus completely unfamiliar with the area, or even traffic patterns in the north. I need some help figuring out where to live.

My goal is to live in a nice-ish area, with crime that's avoidable for the most part, and with as short a commute as possible (<=1 hour on bad days). Preliminary research shows that Plymouth might be a good choice, do you agree? What other options should I look into?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 02:29 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,001,537 times
Plymouth, Northville, Canton, Farmington Hills are good choices within a reasonable drive. Depends on how much you want to spend and what exactly your looking for. Livonia is also a safe and quiet area.

Old 02-07-2011, 03:11 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,772,406 times
Grosse Ile. - Absoultelty beautiful, but not cheap. Fantastic schools. Small town atmosphere. Lots of boats.

Wyandotte - neat lively town. Pleasant and fun downtown along the riverfront. Crime is not a horrible problem. Schools are not so good.

Trenton. Small riverfront town. Blue collar and middle class. Nice little park. Decent Schools.

Woodhaven, Southgate, Riverview. Basic suburbia. Clean and reasonably nice. Decent schools.

Dearborn. Parts of Dearborn are very very nice. Other parts less than perfect. Some areas are almost entirely middle eastern people and culture, but other areas are the same as anywhere else. Dearborn has a lot of culture. Two colleges, a symphony, a community theater, and the Henry Ford Museum and Greenfiled Villiage. Overall it is a pretty good place if you choose your location wisely.

Livonia. Basic older suburbia. No downtown. Schools are decent but trending downwards. Very good access to several freeways.

Plymouth. This is a bit of a drive, but a wonderful little city. Great schools. Just a short jump from Ann Arbor (a terrific colelge town with lots to do). The downside of Plymouth to you is the distance and the cost.

Canton. More basic suburbia. Subdivisions and strip malls and big box stores. Nice enough. Plymouth schools in most of Canton. On par, or perhaps a slight step above Southgate, Riverview and Woodhaven.

Lincoln Park, Allen Park, Taylor, Westland and Garden City. None are really horrible, but the other places mentioned are probably better options. Would not bother unless you are on a tight housing budget.

Northville. Really nice quaint small town with awesome schools. Pricey and a bit of a drive.

Novi. Getting too far away IMO. Shopping malls galore. Plus strip malls and subdivisions thrown in for good measure. Upscale from Canton, Southgate, Woodhaven, and Riverview. Execllent schools.

Skip: Romulus, Ecorse, River Rouge, Inkster, Wayne. Personally I would skip Redford Township as well, but many people like it. Redofrd township is not a bad option if you have a very limited budget.

That is everything that i cna think of within a reasonable or near rasonable commute. If you are single and no kids, you might like living in Downtown Detroit. Downtown is pretty neat and the river front condos are beautiful. Do you have a sense of adventure?

Old 02-07-2011, 03:18 PM

Plymouth isn't a bad drive. You have two different freeway options and is less than an hour like the OP requested.

If it were me I wouldn't choose any of the places listed. I would move to Grosse Pointe. It's a straight shot down 94 and the prices have really come down in the Pointes and there some good deals to be had.

Old 02-07-2011, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scolls View Post
Plymouth isn't a bad drive. You have two different freeway options and is less than an hour like the OP requested.

If it were me I wouldn't choose any of the places listed. I would move to Grosse Pointe. It's a straight shot down 94 and the prices have really come down in the Pointes and there some good deals to be had.

Yes. Grosse Pointes are areally nice and have a good school (and one less good). They have nice older homes, low crime, a pleasant commuity and each city has a very nice park for its residents. Downsides are it is very packed in (not much open space), no downtown, not many shopping options without driving through and out of Detroit, and it is surrounded by Detroit Ick. Big plus for being on Lake St. Claire, but most of the waterview homes are (or at least were) unaffordable. Personally, I would not chose the GPs over Plymouth, Northville, or Grosse Ile, but I would chose them over the other cities mentioned. However I think that the commute would be a problem. Maybe not so bad if you avoid rush hours. It also depends on where in Dearborn the OP is going.

Old 02-07-2011, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Yes. Grosse Pointes are areally nice and have a good school (and one less good). They have nice older homes, low crime, a pleasant commuity and each city has a very nice park for its residents. Downsides are it is very packed in (not much open space), no downtown, not many shopping options without driving through and out of Detroit, and it is surrounded by Detroit Ick. Big plus for being on Lake St. Claire, but most of the waterview homes are (or at least were) unaffordable. Personally, I would not chose the GPs over Plymouth, Northville, or Grosse Ile, but I would chose them over the other cities mentioned. However I think that the commute would be a problem. Maybe not so bad if you avoid rush hours. It also depends on where in Dearborn the OP is going.

The Grosse Pointes do have a downtown. In fact there's three of them on Kercheval and are all the same size as Plymouth's. Not sure how Grosse Pointe is packed in. Lots in Grosse Pointe can be as big as 100 x 160 and still cost less than comparable lots in Plymouth. The commute would be about the same as well.

Old 02-07-2011, 03:50 PM

3 posts, read 5,834 times
Thanks for the help jensens and scolls.

To narrow down a little... I'm engaged, just out of college, so just a 2-person family with no immediate plans for children (schools are a non-factor). I'll be renting for quite some time, so extremely nice suburbs are not a necessity. I do want to be able to go outside and walk around during the day to walk my dog without fearing for my safety, though.

I am from a part of Atlanta that has been growing from a bad area for a while and don't mind that setting, as long as it IS growing and break-ins aren't a big problem.

Old 02-07-2011, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scolls View Post
The Grosse Pointes do have a downtown. In fact there's three of them on Kercheval and are all the same size as Plymouth's. Not sure how Grosse Pointe is packed in. Lots in Grosse Pointe can be as big as 100 x 160 and still cost less than comparable lots in Plymouth. The commute would be about the same as well.

As big as 100 x 160? Do you realize how small that is? That is roughly one third of an acre (i.e. three houses on every acre). And those lots are not common nor cheap. Most lots are considerably smaller. Not a bad sized lot for a city, but small if you like to live with some space.

However what I was referring to is not lot size, but the lack of general open space. No fields, woods, empty acreage between groups of homes. It is all packed in. house house house house - street - house house house house house - no breaks.

A street with stores on it is not a downtown. The little groups of shops are nice, but they are not a downtown and they are not anywhere near the size of Plymouth, not even all of them together. Have you seen much of Plymouth? Plymouth is a little city, not a small town, even though it has a small town atmosphere, especially around the central park area.

No need to get all defensive. As I said, Grosse Pointes are very nice places. One of the best, but not the best places in Metro Detroit IMO. Unless you work in downtown Detroit and have kids (or in the immediate area). Then the GPs may well be the best place to live for many or most people.

Old 02-07-2011, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
As big as 100 x 160? Do you realize how small that is? That is roughly one third of an acre (i.e. three houses on every acre). And those lots are not common nor cheap. Most lots are considerably smaller. Not a bad sized lot for a city, but small if you like to live with some space.

However what I was referring to is not lot size, but the lack of general open space. No fields, woods, empty acreage between groups of homes. It is all packed in. house house house house - street - house house house house house - no breaks.

A street with stores on it is not a downtown. The little groups of shops are nice, but they are not a downtown and they are not anywhere near the size of Plymouth, not even all of them together. Have you seen much of Plymouth? Plymouth is a little city, not a small town, even though it has a small town atmosphere, especially around the central park area.

No need to get all defensive. As I said, Grosse Pointes are very nice places. One of the best, but not the best places in Metro Detroit IMO. Unless you work in downtown Detroit and have kids (or in the immediate area). Then the GPs may well be the best place to live for many or most people.
I wasn't getting defensive. You aren't going to find lots much bigger than 100 x 160. This isn't Grosse Ile. My lot in Huntington Woods is 50 x 120. I found a 2500 sq ft house on a huge lot in Grosse Pointe Shores a block off of Lakeshore drive for 199,000. Bigger lots are fairly common in the Woods and Shores and can be had for 250,000 or less. Grosse Pointe's downtown is more than just stores on a street. They do have bars and restaurants. When I lived in Harper Woods I went there often. The three combined are the same length as Plymouth's and offer as many options as Plymouth's. The Grosse Pointes try to be five separate towns but they are really just one city.

It's really irrelevant now that the OP wants to rent and has no kids. I would just stay in Dearborn. There are safe areas and you would be close to work, dowtown Detroit if you ever wanted to go out, and Ann Arbor isn't that far either.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:15 PM

1,497 posts, read 3,489,877 times
If I were working in Dearborn, I'd live in Dearborn. There are many upscale areas of Dearborn that are not too expensive. Most of the houses are older, beautiful brick bungalows, and are moderately priced. East Dearborn (generally East of Evergreen) is primarily Middle Eastern, except around Dearborn Country Club, which is more upscale. West Dearborn is very nice. East Dearborn is more urban and has a lot of great Arabic restaurants and cuisine. I like both East and West Deaborn, and all of Dearborn is safe. The closer you get to Michigan Avenue, the more walkable the neighborhoods become. Here's a map of of some neighborhoods that I really like: Dearborn - Google Maps

I think Dearborn is one of the nicest communities in Metro Detroit. I think it's a no-brainer if you're also working in Dearborn. It has great houses, nice cozy neighborhoods, and a small downtown along Michigan Avenue. You have Henry Ford Museum, Greenfield Village, and the Automotive Hall of Fame right down the street. You are also <10 miles from downtown Detroit and the region's entertainment and cultural hub. Dearborn is affordable as many people have moved to cities like Canton, which are newer, but basically boring, strip-mall suburbs, IMO.

The City of Plymouth is nice because it has a quaint, little downtown. It's more expensive though and really not worth the commute. I'd also suggest Grosse Pointe, but it's also too far if you're working in Dearborn. If you are looking for something more urban, I can give you some great places in and around downtown Detroit. But, if not, I'll leave it at what I said.

I came across these lofts a while back in Dearborn, they look pretty neat. Not sure about their pet policy though: West Dearborn Lofts, Upscale Lofts in Downtown Dearborn, Michigan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit