Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2011, 12:02 AM

2 posts, read 4,760 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

We would like to know what are the rental rates in the area of Wayne County, MI - zip code: 48205. Specifically in the area of August Street. Looking to purchase rental properties in this area. Thanks for your help.

Crysols
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 06:57 AM

1,742 posts, read 4,001,757 times
I used to live in the 48205 zip code. The area has taken a complete nose dive. Up until 1999 property values were going up and it was a popular place in Detroit to purchase. Now however it is mostly drug dealers and high crime. The Detroit cop got shot and killed there. August street however is by Whitier and Gratiot which was a horrible neighborhood when I lived in that zip code. I lived one block south of 8 mile. Chances are the property you are looking at could be the only building still standing on the block. You'd have a hard time renting it out let alone putting a value on it.

The fact that you are asking about renting in this area leads me to believe you are not from the area. I see this all the time. Someone who doesn't know the area see cheap housing in Detroit and thinks they'll be the next Donald Trump. Beyond popular belief there are people with money in the area and they chose not to rent these properties out for obvious reason. The entire metro area isn't wallowing in poverty. The only way I'd buy these properties is to sit on them since this area is likely to be one of the areas leveled in Detroit's new plan to downsize. You could buy up a bunch of properties and try to leverage a buyout.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:02 AM

august st detroit mi - Google Maps

Here's what the street looks like. You tell me if it's a good idea to invest there.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:59 PM

2 posts, read 4,760 times
Thank you for being very candid. Your response has brought so many other questions. Thank you again.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:54 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,392,349 times
first off I live in 48205 as we speak. Sorry Scolls its NOT "mostly" anything. There is still plenty of working people who have been living in the area for years (my family is one and so is the majority of my neighbors). With that being said though OP, I would suggest you look elsewhere. The area has declined, some worst than others. In the 6/7 Mile outer drive part most of the homes are standing and occupied but further down like 6/7 Mile and Gratiot have taken a turn for the worst. The Regent area is still fine but further down on State Fair its starting to decline. Are there drug dealers who live in the zip code? yes are most of the residents drug dealers? far from it. The zip code covers a lot of neighborhoods, how you possibly generalize all of us?

Old 02-16-2011, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
first off I live in 48205 as we speak. Sorry Scolls its NOT "mostly" anything. There is still plenty of working people who have been living in the area for years (my family is one and so is the majority of my neighbors). With that being said though OP, I would suggest you look elsewhere. The area has declined, some worst than others. In the 6/7 Mile outer drive part most of the homes are standing and occupied but further down like 6/7 Mile and Gratiot have taken a turn for the worst. The Regent area is still fine but further down on State Fair its starting to decline. Are there drug dealers who live in the zip code? yes are most of the residents drug dealers? far from it. The zip code covers a lot of neighborhoods, how you possibly generalize all of us?

The Regent area has declined severely. That's where I used to live. I lived on Carlisle. Now my house is vacant. The one next to it is bordered up, gutted and the aluminum siding stripped, and the one next to that is boarded up. The Detroit cop who got shot and killed by a drug dealer happened about 3 houses from where I lived. In 1999 Michigan got rid of the law requiring city workers to live in the city they work for. That destroyed the neighborhood as it was mostly cops and firefighters. Now there's abandoned houses, stolen cars in the streets, and section 8 renters and this is the good part of the zip code. It only gets worse the farther south you go. A lot of residents who commented on the cop killing said how the neighborhood declined. They also mentioned how hearing gun shots is common now. I never heard a gun shot when I lived there.

If you want a cheap rental property, look into Harper Woods. Homes are selling for under 40k and you can pull over $500 a month in rent. If you get one on the Grosse Pointe school district it won't be hard to rent at all. I was going to rent out my house in Harper Woods but I decided to sell it for a 40% profit.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:57 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,392,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolls View Post
The Regent area has declined severely. That's where I used to live. I lived on Carlisle. Now my house is vacant. The one next to it is bordered up, gutted and the aluminum siding stripped, and the one next to that is boarded up. The Detroit cop who got shot and killed by a drug dealer happened about 3 houses from where I lived. In 1999 Michigan got rid of the law requiring city workers to live in the city they work for. That destroyed the neighborhood as it was mostly cops and firefighters. Now there's abandoned houses, stolen cars in the streets, and section 8 renters and this is the good part of the zip code. It only gets worse the farther south you go. A lot of residents who commented on the cop killing said how the neighborhood declined. They also mentioned how hearing gun shots is common now. I never heard a gun shot when I lived there.

If you want a cheap rental property, look into Harper Woods. Homes are selling for under 40k and you can pull over $500 a month in rent. If you get one on the Grosse Pointe school district it won't be hard to rent at all. I was going to rent out my house in Harper Woods but I decided to sell it for a 40% profit.
Lmao no offense but when did you move? because I find it funny that you're trying to tell me about MY neighborhood. My friend lives on Regent, Aunt on Edmore and an aunt on Carlise. There are more empty homes just like anywhere else but the whole 48205 zip code is far from torn up. Regent area is ok. Matter of fact my friend street and surrounding streets I can't recall one borded up home. The majority of the homes are occupied and kept up until you go further down east on State Fair. The Mohican Regent area has more empty homes than has ever been over there but the area could easily be stopped from declining. Esp closer to 8mile. Now past 7 Mile is the area that looks terrible. I live in the Osborn area. There are a few streets here that have declined a great deal like Withorn and Findley, Some not so much but still declined like Sanford, Flanders and St. Patrick. From Christy down to 6 Mile (Christy, Minden, College, Nashville, Engleside, Kenmoor, Kennebec and Portlance) and the other side of 6 Mile still looks nice with no burnt out homes and very few empty ones in the whole area. Further down on 6 Mile towards Gratiot like Watham, look like what you see on you tube. I live on one of these streets (I won't say which), have my whole life. There are actually plans to revitalize some of the neighborhoods, mine being one of them, in the 48205 zip code but for right now I wouldn't suggest renting over here.

and please stop generalizing

Old 02-16-2011, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Lmao no offense but when did you move? because I find it funny that you're trying to tell me about MY neighborhood. My friend lives on Regent, Aunt on Edmore and an aunt on Carlise. There are more empty homes just like anywhere else but the whole 48205 zip code is far from torn up. Regent area is ok. Matter of fact my friend street and surrounding streets I can't recall one borded up home. The majority of the homes are occupied and kept up until you go further down east on State Fair. The Mohican Regent area has more empty homes than has ever been over there but the area could easily be stopped from declining. Esp closer to 8mile. Now past 7 Mile is the area that looks terrible. I live in the Osborn area. There are a few streets here that have declined a great deal like Withorn and Findley, Some not so much but still declined like Sanford, Flanders and St. Patrick. From Christy down to 6 Mile (Christy, Minden, College, Nashville, Engleside, Kenmoor, Kennebec and Portlance) and the other side of 6 Mile still looks nice with no burnt out homes and very few empty ones in the whole area. Further down on 6 Mile towards Gratiot like Watham, look like what you see on you tube. I live on one of these streets (I won't say which), have my whole life. There are actually plans to revitalize some of the neighborhoods, mine being one of them, in the 48205 zip code but for right now I wouldn't suggest renting over here.

and please stop generalizing

1999. Got out at the right time when our house peaked in price. Here's my old house. It's to the right of the stripped house. It's currently vacant and so is the brick house to the left.

Carlisle Drive, Detroit, MI - Google Maps

Old 02-17-2011, 04:57 AM

1,900 posts, read 5,904,309 times
Quote:
The Mohican Regent area has more empty homes than has ever been over there but the area could easily be stopped from declining. Esp closer to 8mile.
Yes, you're right. The first few blocks south of Eight Mile have a housing stock nearly identical to Eastpointe, Harper Woods, and parts of St. Clair Shores and Grosse Pointe Woods. However, Detroit isn't a place that treasures its old neighborhoods (unless they're mansions). Instead, people pretty much throw away their old house to get something bigger, further north, and with schools where the children don't have to arm themselves. It bothers me to see your Zip Code area being thrown away because I remember it being okay, not too long ago. There's not much hope of revitalization either in the outer parts of Detroit, because the city is putting nearly all its eggs into the Midtown basket.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by us66 View Post
Yes, you're right. The first few blocks south of Eight Mile have a housing stock nearly identical to Eastpointe, Harper Woods, and parts of St. Clair Shores and Grosse Pointe Woods. However, Detroit isn't a place that treasures its old neighborhoods (unless they're mansions). Instead, people pretty much throw away their old house to get something bigger, further north, and with schools where the children don't have to arm themselves. It bothers me to see your Zip Code area being thrown away because I remember it being okay, not too long ago. There's not much hope of revitalization either in the outer parts of Detroit, because the city is putting nearly all its eggs into the Midtown basket.

Actually there is quite a bit of hope. It's still one of the more stable neighborhoods and if Bing continues with his downsizing plans, it's one of the neighborhoods that would look to be repopulated. He's already made incentives to move into East English Village.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit