U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2011, 09:02 AM

1 posts, read 1,444 times

Advertisements

I am traveling to the Royal Oak area of Detroit in a couple of days for the first time. I have heard of the dangers and whatnot that apply, but it seems that this applies to most major cities. Is there anything that i should beware of? Any advice is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 09:48 AM

30 posts, read 57,707 times
Royal Oak isn't actually an area of Detroit, it's an independent city north of Detroit. As far as dangers in Royal Oak, there aren't really any that I know of other than the basic stuff that you get anywhere outside of extremely rural areas- i.e. lock your car, lock your door, and don't pass out drunk in public covered in hundred dollar bills.

Royal Oak is a cool area with a nice younger crowd and very few problems. I hope you have a nice trip, and don't forget to come down into the city to see the DIA or a game or something while you're here.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:23 AM

1,497 posts, read 3,130,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtcompton View Post
I am traveling to the Royal Oak area of Detroit in a couple of days for the first time. I have heard of the dangers and whatnot that apply, but it seems that this applies to most major cities. Is there anything that i should beware of? Any advice is appreciated.
There is nothing to worry about in 95% of Metro Detroit, and you have absolutely nothing to worry about in Royal Oak. It pains me that Detroit's reputation has been so tarnished nationally that people have such unsubstantiated fears of this region. Royal Oak is located in one of the wealthiest counties in the country. The only concern you should have in Royal Oak is tripping over a preppy kid in a polo shirt and designer jeans passed out drunk on the sidewalk, or choking on bad Starbuck's coffee.

No offense to you, as I am just using your post to vent a little bit, but the media's portrayal of Metro Detroit is ridiculous. The awful perception they've created is literally killing the inflow of businesses and population. The City of Detroit has a sizable number of abandoned buildings, especially industrial ones, which make great fodder for lazy journalists. They run and rerun these same images over and over again, ad nauseum, so everyone believes that we are living in Dante Alighieri's 9th circle of hell. It's complete garbage. The vast majority of suburbs are upscale, wealthy (even unapologetically snobbish) communities. The core parts of Detroit, i.e. downtown, Midtown, the Riverfront, etc. are all very safe and decently maintained. Millions of people pass through the city for events and conventions every year without incident. They stay at five star hotels and eat at five star restaurants and watch Broadway shows at world-class performance venues. Detroit's a gritty industrial city that has suffered excessive suburbanization and a declining auto industry. However, you will NOT be shot, beaten senseless, strong armed, taken hostage, or thrown into the river if you come here.

Enjoy your stay in Royal Oak, and if you want to see a side of Metro Detroit that they don't show you on TV, take a 5 minute drive to Birmingham. It's more akin to Beverly Hills, California than it is the nightmarish world portrayed in TIME Magazine.

Old 02-21-2011, 01:40 PM

160 posts, read 218,506 times
Oh god, you're going to Royal Oak?!?!? You're going to die.

Old 02-21-2011, 03:17 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,748,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkytofu10 View Post
Oh god, you're going to Royal Oak?!?!? You're going to die.
Facebook Like! hehe

Old 02-21-2011, 03:20 PM

1,742 posts, read 3,525,677 times
The only thing you need to worry about in Royal Oak is cars on lawns. According to JS that's an epidemic there.

Old 02-22-2011, 03:46 PM

655 posts, read 2,011,470 times
The only thing you have to worry about is feeding the meter.

Old 02-22-2011, 04:33 PM

27,357 posts, read 64,881,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForStarters View Post
. However, you will NOT be . . . thrown into the river if you come here.

UNless you are Canadian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or