Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2011, 09:10 PM

1 posts, read 6,079 times

Advertisements

I am from the Chicago land area and I am about to graduate as a pharmacist. I got a job offer with a retail pharmacy in Detroit metro area since there were no jobs in Chicagoland. I was given a list of areas I might work at but I don't know where I will work at yet. I am not sure if I have a choice in where I work. I don't plan on living around those areas but I would like to know if these areas are safe to work at as far as likelihood of getting mugged, robbed, carjacked, gun shots, etc. I also would like to know among these areas which ones are the best in terms of safety. I was wondering if the following intersections/ areas were safe and if it's worthwhile to work in the areas:

1) Wyoming and Tireman (detroit/dearborn)
2) Jefferson and Mcdougal (detroit)
3) dowtown detroit (renessaince center)
4) downtown detroit woodward and michigan ave
5) michigan and martin (detroit)
6) [FONT=&quot]McNichols (6 mile) and wyoming (detroit)
7) 7 mile and livernois (detroit)
8) 9 mile and livernois (ferndale)
9) Greenfield and Mt Vernon (Southfield)
10) 10 mile and southfield (southfield)
11) 11 mile and lahser (soutfield)

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks![/FONT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2011, 09:18 PM

970 posts, read 2,968,093 times
1) Wyoming and Tireman (detroit/dearborn) - Kind of a rough area. Use caution.
2) Jefferson and Mcdougal (detroit) - Same as above.
3) dowtown detroit (renessaince center) - Safe. High traffic, patrolled area.
4) downtown detroit woodward and michigan ave - Same as above.
5) michigan and martin (detroit) - Not the safest in the world, but still alright.
6) [font=&quot]McNichols (6 mile) and wyoming (detroit) - Pretty iffy.
7) 7 mile and livernois (detroit) - Probably the worst area you've listed.
8) 9 mile and livernois (ferndale) - Very safe.
9) Greenfield and Mt Vernon (Southfield) -Safe.
10) 10 mile and southfield (southfield) - Safe.
11) 11 mile and lahser (soutfield) - Safe.

As with anywhere, if you don't use good judgement, you'll probably find yourself in a bit of trouble. Don't walk down the street counting money. Don't walk around in poorly lit areas at night with your iPod earbuds in. Don't leave your laptop on the passenger seat of your car.

Use common sense, and you'll be fine in these areas.

Your best bet would be in Downtown Detroit, Southfield, or Ferndale.

Old 02-26-2011, 10:27 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,393,656 times
Reminisc,

I'm curious of your answers for 1, 2, and especially 7?

Old 02-26-2011, 10:42 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,905,247 times
I believe most of these are CVS, no? Here's a tip for Rite Aids, though: Rite Aids in rough areas tend to have security guards in the store, at least around here.

Old 02-27-2011, 03:20 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,216,093 times
Michigan and Martin has some great real estate deals.

Old 02-27-2011, 07:46 AM

1,900 posts, read 5,905,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Michigan and Martin has some great real estate deals.
I was offered a house in the neighborhood by a friend's parents (they were moving grandma out to Livonia) back in '01 or '02 for $85K. Could probably three or four houses on the street for not much more nowadays. Cool house, the neighborhood was almost decent, double lot and side driveway, I still think about that every now and then.

Old 02-27-2011, 02:58 PM

970 posts, read 2,968,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
Reminisc,

I'm curious of your answers for 1, 2, and especially 7?
Perhaps my definition of 'dangerous' is different than most. To me, an area with 15 reported car thefts this month, like 7 and Livernois, isn't exactly safe. To the east of the intersection (Sherwood Forest, Green Acres, etc.) isn't very dangerous. But when you start heading west of Livernois, it gets pretty bad, and fast. Try http://www.crimemapping.com, and enter an address near that intersection and see for yourself.

The same goes for 1 and 2. The website I listed has 66 reported crimes this month in the Jefferson-McDougal area, and 57 in the Tireman-Wyoming area. These are not 'safe' areas by any means. But they're not the city's most dangerous either. Like I said, the OP should use caution.

Last edited by Remisc; 02-27-2011 at 03:29 PM..

Old 02-27-2011, 03:21 PM

161 posts, read 246,500 times
If I were you, I'd work at the Renaissance Center. Safety aside, just being downtown is interesting and will be more stiumlating than many of the other areas listed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit