U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 06:35 AM

643 posts, read 1,083,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timeofseasons View Post
Detroit is the largest most devastating city in the US that I can think of. With the city being so large it helps/ hurts it's situation. Though one of Detroit largest devastations is ofcourse its crime, and therefore automatically becomes unattractive to the public.

Yes but there are still 800,000 (give or take) people there and there is high unemployment, would they be willing to work. Or do they have to much 'pride' to be working in a factory?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2011, 07:53 AM

21,090 posts, read 27,690,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonUSA View Post
Yes but there are still 800,000 (give or take) people there and there is high unemployment, would they be willing to work. Or do they have to much 'pride' to be working in a factory?

Most would take any job that pays a living wage (over $10 --$12 hr). The question is who will come and will they be allowed to build?

Old 03-06-2011, 12:11 PM

24 posts, read 24,921 times
Quote:
True and im saying that the land is there and with something like 40% unemployment there is a large amount of potential employees. Im suprised noone has at least had a go. If i had the money i would consider taking this risk.
I think, my good English sir, you do not understand the culture that prevails in American urban ghettos. It's not like there would be this huge workforce just waiting to go to work at your new Detroit factory. You'd find that the people who live around your new facility are fully subsidized by the government and get free food, welfare payments, health care and other goodies. They don't have much incentive, or motivation, to work. Their only interest in your endeavor would be how they could break in and steal your stuff

The U.S. needs about 10-20 million illegal immigrants (largely Mexican) to do its low wage, low skill work. Thus, choose an area that is accessible to this workforce. I don't know if Detroit has a large Hispanic presence but if it did, that's where I'd put the factory.

Old 03-06-2011, 12:25 PM

21,090 posts, read 27,690,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdessucke View Post
I think, my good English sir, you do not understand the culture that prevails in American urban ghettos. It's not like there would be this huge workforce just waiting to go to work at your new Detroit factory. You'd find that the people who live around your new facility are fully subsidized by the government and get free food, welfare payments, health care and other goodies. They don't have much incentive, or motivation, to work. Their only interest in your endeavor would be how they could break in and steal your stuff

The U.S. needs about 10-20 million illegal immigrants (largely Mexican) to do its low wage, low skill work. Thus, choose an area that is accessible to this workforce. I don't know if Detroit has a large Hispanic presence but if it did, that's where I'd put the factory.
Obviously the rose-colored glasses are a bit smudged?

Mexican Town there on Bagley and over off Vernor..

Old 03-06-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:

Not much incentive as you said then. I might relocate to the US, Mexico border so they can all see it!

Old 03-06-2011, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Not much incentive as you said then. I might relocate to the US, Mexico border so they can all see it!
Good idea. After they dodge the beanbags our fine border patrol fires at them you can pay 'em 6 bucks an hour and no benefits, while the U.S. taxpayers pay the Detroitians the equivelant of $20,000 per year to keep on welfare. And oh yes, we'll also pick up the tab for the schooling, medical care and workers compensation benefits of your illegal workforce too. You may as well come in and get while the gettin's good

Old 03-06-2011, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Good idea. After they dodge the beanbags our fine border patrol fires at them you can pay 'em 6 bucks an hour and no benefits, while the U.S. taxpayers pay the Detroitians the equivelant of $20,000 per year to keep on welfare. And oh yes, we'll also pick up the tab for the schooling, medical care and workers compensation benefits of your illegal workforce too. You may as well come in and get while the gettin's good
LOL! I'm guessing by that comment you are quite right wing?

Old 03-06-2011, 01:58 PM

Opposite. I consider myself to be a liberal. I just don't believe that handouts and breaking the law are the best way to empower minorities!

Old 03-06-2011, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Opposite. I consider myself to be a liberal. I just don't believe that handouts and breaking the law are the best way to empower minorities!

WHY!? Personally i think it's a good way of spending tax payer money

Old 03-06-2011, 03:14 PM

130 posts, read 562,695 times
No. The Great Lakes region has been in decline since the 50's. Sometimes places are great for a time and never come back. Look at Egypt or Iraq. There is simply no reason that people will choose to immigrate to and not from Detroit in the next 50.

The general movement has been westward and southward. Also, now, the Great Plains from Texas and Oklahoma, clear up thousands of miles to Calgary and Edmonton is the new future. These are the places to invest in. Especially because of the energy jobs which are economy proof.

The Gulf Coast and Great Lakes are the two places in America which are simply finished. Sad but the truth. The Southwest & California might just make a third region to be finished for good in the next 20 years leaving the middle of the country to be the place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
View detailed profiles of: