Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2011, 04:55 AM

85 posts, read 297,409 times

Advertisements

I lived in the Detroit area in the late 80s when I was a child. My family is from there, so my wife and I are considering a move back. When I lived there, Grosse Pointe was one of the nicest areas around - incredible housing, great schools, close to the city to take advantage of amenities, etc. It was THE place to live. One of the main reasons we are considering a return to the area is because the housing market is SO depressed that we can afford our dream home in Grosse Pointe. But, we haven't spent much time in the area lately. So, can anyone comment on the current state of the area? Also, what are the differences between the Pointes (City, Park, Woods, Shores)?

Here is some background info on my situation. I work for the government and will have a good job pretty much no matter what. So, the job market is not a concern at all. I can afford up to $450K and for that I would want a unique older home, 4BR/2BA or more, 2500 sq ft or more, a great school district, a good community feel, and a 30 min or less commute downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2011, 06:49 AM

85 posts, read 297,409 times
Default Another option to Grosse Pointe.

Also, is there another location in the city that would be a better fit for my requirements? We love some of the older stately unique homes in Grosse Pointe (like the ones linked below), and I am shocked these are now well within our price range. But, is there somewhere else like that we should consider that is similar?

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/50...88615943_zpid/
http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/11...88167429_zpid/
http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/92...31181326_zpid/

Old 03-06-2011, 08:00 AM

90 posts, read 200,193 times
We moved to Grosse Pointe Park about seven months ago from Connecticut and we love it. Schools are still great, Grosse Pointe South is one of the best high schools in the state. From what friends here have told me, the community has turned over in the last 6-8 years and more young families have moved in and empty nesters have moved out. I have one child in elementary school and another in preschool, and we are happy with the schools thus far. And the two parks in GPP are fantastic! Between the pool, sprinkler park, the movie theater, outdoor skating rink, tennis courts, & the putting green there's something for everyone. Lots of activities for adults & kids year-round. Downtown is an easy drive -- we did it last night to go out to dinner. And GP does have some very good restaurants (yes there are more on the westside but we've been pleasantly surprised with the quality of The Hill, Cafe Nini, Da Eduardo as well as the casual places like Burger Pointe).

Of the three houses you've listed they are all in GPP, the one on Trombly is a two family, the one on Bedford looks nice, and the one on Lakeland is probably a short sale and needs some work. We too are looking for homes (we opted to rent for the first year here to get the lay of the land) and we've seen some amazing homes that wouldn't be in the realm of possibility on the East Coast. In your price range, you'll find a great house. There isn't a ton on the market right now, but things are starting to come up. We've had two private showings of homes that haven't gone on the market yet, so I think people are just waiting for spring to arrive.

If you search my screenname, you'll find my original thread on moving to the Pointes and that will give you some great information.

Best of luck in your move & house hunt!

Old 03-07-2011, 09:43 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,393,819 times
Price point for a 4-bedroom will likely be difficult. GP Park is the least desirable area of the city. South is the supposedly better of the two schools.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:14 AM

90 posts, read 200,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganongrey View Post
Price point for a 4-bedroom will likely be difficult. GP Park is the least desirable area of the city. South is the supposedly better of the two schools.
Right now you can find great deals in all of the Pointes -- $450k will get the OP a wonderful home.

GPP feeds into South, as does GP City and a part of the Farms. I think GPP a pretty nice place to live myself, as do the other 11,000 people here -- which include doctors, lawyers, PhDs, writers, finance & marketing professionals, nurses, teachers, auto execs, federal employees, etc.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:44 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,906,480 times
Some of the Park is among the best in the Pointes, especially Windmill Pointe. The area that gives the Park its slight image issue is the "Cabbage Patch," the first few blocks east of Alter between Mack and Jefferson. It's the same housing stock as someplace like Hamtramck but better kept. It's quite dense, has a lot of rentals, and parking is also an issue. The first block off Mack is held by some to be suspect as well, as the section of Detroit immediately adjacent isn't aging well. (The first block off Mack in the Farms south of Moross is said to have some issues as well.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit