Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 07:41 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,779,462 times

Advertisements

I'm not an art aficionado by any means, more of an art admirer. I figure if the "art" has a lot of work into it, the artist has a clear intent of what they are trying to convey (even if they have to tell you and you can't discern it yourself), and it makes you feel something (either good or bad), than it's good art.

We had Art.Downtown here in GR this past weekend. Site:Lab, in a long abandoned two-story building, was one of the 28 or so venues in it. Cool video:

SiTE:LAB PRAXIS on Vimeo

As you can tell by the noise volume of the crowd, it's probably 2 parts social event, 1 part art event.

Anyone have any pictures from ArtX Downtown?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 09:26 AM

5,739 posts, read 6,899,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
I'm not an art aficionado by any means, more of an art admirer. I figure if the "art" has a lot of work into it, the artist has a clear intent of what they are trying to convey (even if they have to tell you and you can't discern it yourself), and it makes you feel something (either good or bad), than it's good art.
As you can tell by the noise volume of the crowd, it's probably 2 parts social event, 1 part art event.
Anyone have any pictures from ArtX Downtown?
*There ARE always charlatans in art (as elsewhere) and that's what makes it a tough call. We never know if we will stifle something that turns out to be good (ala the Impressionists).
*Some good art pieces may NOT have a lot of work involved (that is a measure of "craft"). Yet one can appreciate the "craft" that goes into "art". This is tough!
*I was hoping the Art X attendees would post pix or videos for the rest of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
View detailed profiles of: